Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Vintage Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-11-2012, 01:07 AM
Undead

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomstranger View Post
"Psycho" (1960)
-Anthony Perkins
Phantom's Review:... Very few films are truly worthy of the label "Classic", but this is a true classic from start to finish.
While my definition of 'classic' might differ from yours (personally, I think there plenty that could make that claim), I can't argue with this being one of them. Psycho is 'the' deranged killer pic! A shame to think a picture like this could NEVER be made today.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:23 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoreux View Post
I think it's ridiculous because of someone's present day likes and dislikes, or worse yet, someone's PC sense of superior justice (self-important people deciding for everyone else what is and is not offensive) that incredibly talented actors of days-gone-by must have all of their performances either erased or apologized for. I love Mantan Moreland!

And I'm sick of reading apologies on the side of the DVD box every time I want to watch an old Charlie Chan picture. I don't have any guilt about history (white or other) and don't feel any need to rewrite it. For good or ill, it was what it was.

Nobody was ever killed by the sentence, "Is you a zombie?"
The only apology that should be given with any of these films should be, "These were the social attitudes and feelings of the time. Deal with it.".

I just got finished watching the original Frankenstein (1910). Big waste of time (even though it was only 15 minutes long)!
Old 03-12-2012, 08:39 AM
From The Beyond

The Witches (1966) Great hammer film looking into how the witchcraft in voodoo may have spread elsewhere in this case to a small village in West Country England. A very well paced movie with a lot to savour in the second half for fans of the details of witchcraft whether mythological or psychological this lets the viewer decide and some scenes were certainly territory for hammer that I've not seen them go in before. Hugely enjoyable.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:25 PM
Evil Dead

Frankenstein (1931) & Bride of Frankenstein (1935)

Great movies, but these movies have been praised so often, I might as well say something negative about them.

* Frankenstein has to have one of the most random, nonsensical endings to any movie I've ever seen.

* When the Monster tosses Frankenstein off the windmill, it magically starts spinning in the opposite direction

* In Bride of Frankenstein, two guys that run into the Monster say "It's the monster! Dr. Frankenstein created him with the parts of corpses, he did" (or something to that effect). The question I have is, how did they know? Isn't that why Frankenstein was helping Dr Pratorious, to keep that all hush hush.

* You'd think either Carl laemmle or James Whale would've remembered that they had casted a blonde for Frankenstein's bride to be. I can understand not being able to get the same actress for Bride of Frankenstein, but at least cast someone with the same hair color.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:52 PM
Undead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadliquor View Post
...I just got finished watching the original Frankenstein (1910). Big waste of time (even though it was only 15 minutes long)!
Wow, harsh :D It wasn't much of a film but...
Considering it's the first Frankenstein ever, what Edison meant to film and history, and the simple fact it has for my entire life (over a half century) been thought lost... it was a fifteen minutes I was more than pleased to part with. And will again someday. I did not find it without merit.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:53 PM
Undead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearonsarms View Post
The Witches (1966)... Hugely enjoyable.
Will definitely hunt this one down. Thanks.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:02 AM
Undead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadliquor View Post
Frankenstein (1931) & Bride of Frankenstein (1935)

I might as well say something negative about them.

* Frankenstein has to have one of the most random, nonsensical endings to any movie I've ever seen.

* When the Monster tosses Frankenstein off the windmill, it magically starts spinning in the opposite direction

* In Bride of Frankenstein, two guys that run into the Monster say "It's the monster! Dr. Frankenstein created him with the parts of corpses, he did" (or something to that effect). The question I have is, how did they know? Isn't that why Frankenstein was helping Dr Pratorious, to keep that all hush hush.

* You'd think either Carl laemmle or James Whale would've remembered that they had casted a blonde for Frankenstein's bride to be. I can understand not being able to get the same actress for Bride of Frankenstein, but at least cast someone with the same hair color.
Hilarious.
1) Frankenstein had two endings. In the original, Colin Clive died. When they decided on a sequel, he was made to survive for the re-release.
2) Now I have to go watch again to see the windmill!
3) Cinematic short-hand. You believe in man-made monsters, but don't believe in cinematic short-hand?
4) Mae Clark (who's most famous moment in film was getting a grapefruit in the face from James Cagney, was old news by 1935. Valerie Hobson, whom I've never cared for (AT ALL) was all the rage. She soon faded. But, can't you just tell yourself that Mrs. Frankenstein colored her hair and be at peace;)
Old 03-13-2012, 03:11 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoreux View Post
Hilarious.
1) Frankenstein had two endings. In the original, Colin Clive died. When they decided on a sequel, he was made to survive for the re-release.
2) Now I have to go watch again to see the windmill!
3) Cinematic short-hand. You believe in man-made monsters, but don't believe in cinematic short-hand?
4) Mae Clark (who's most famous moment in film was getting a grapefruit in the face from James Cagney, was old news by 1935. Valerie Hobson, whom I've never cared for (AT ALL) was all the rage. She soon faded. But, can't you just tell yourself that Mrs. Frankenstein colored her hair and be at peace;)
I didn't know about the two endings. The only thing I've ever heard about is censors cutting the scene where The Monster throws the little girl in the lake (which IMO, would make the movie much darker).

And honestly, my knowledge of old school horror movies is all recent. Sure I had watched all of these flicks when I was 5 or 6, because they would show them on the crappy local uhf channel. But this winter I made it a point to rewatch all of the classics and a few obscure oldies. I'm glad I did too, I've watched an asspile of great flicks that I would never have thought to watch

Just watched It! The Terror from Beyond Space
Yeah... the acting is pretty sub par, and the special effects budget wouldn't be enough to buy a carton of cigarettes. In fact, you can't really use the term "Special" to describe the effects, unless you're thinking in terms of "Special Olympics". All that being said, I loved this flick! It's a 50's low budget Alien.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:16 PM
Banned

just watched the the monster mono brow man ..i mean the ghoul
Old 03-15-2012, 05:26 PM
Evil Dead

I watched "Blood from the Mummy's Tomb" last night. Wow! A Hammer horror that takes place in the same century it was made. Who knew?

It did have something typical of a good majority of the Hammer movies. It's a 40 minute movie that's stretched out to 90. Honestly, there's probably ten minutes worth of men putting gloves on their hands, and another twenty minutes of them showing The Big Dipper.