Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Foreign Horror Movies

Old 07-21-2004, 11:01 PM
Fool's follow

Send a message via Yahoo to feral cat
Visitor Q ... a review by feral cat

What’s it all about then?

Well that’s a tricky one; it’s about very bad thing's many of which occur within the main protagonist’s family unit. A visitor comes into there lives and through his dark, but very subtle influence things change for the family he stays with … for better or worse? You will have to wait and see!

Ok we have all heard of Takashi Miike (Haven’t we film fans … if not, go get a late pass!)
Takashi has been pushing the boundaries of cinema for some time now … with the hyper gory, super violent scenes and his often crazy editing style, so you would have thought I would have been ready for visitor Q! Wrong!!! This movie smacked me in the head like one of the visitors rocks, time after time I found myself reciting to a new movie mantra … no longer “it’s only a movie”, but the constant curse “WHAT THE FUCK?” Dam this is extreme cinema! Think of something bad to put in a movie? Have you thought of it? Well what ever it was that sprang to mind chances are Miike not only thought of it too, but filmed it, in close up with long lingering shots and released it to the viewing public as part of his darkly comic Opus!
The first thing we see in this movie is a black screen with the words “Have you ever done it with your dad” emblazoned across it!, this leads us straight into close up, hand held digital camera shots of a father being seduced by his teenage daughter for money! Next the Black screen asks us if we have ever been hit in the head. Without going to much further into the scenes of this movie take note, it includes: Rape, murder, incest, necrophilia, anal insertion (Just watch), dismemberment, assault, prostitution, drug abuse and a whole lot more, lovingly caught on film, if you thought leatherfaces family was dysfunctional you ain’t seen nothing yet! One thing to look out for is breast milk, that’s all I’m saying, just wait and see for yourself!
Both horrific and very darkly comic at the same time Visitor Q is almost a masterpiece surreal and poignant at the same time. Shot on digital video, mostly handhelds it has a sudo documentary feel, which at first I thought meant it was going to be one of those pretentious art house type movies, but once I got with the flow, I released the long documentary style video shots worked perfectly on this occasion.
This movie has an almost Gulliver’s travels thing going on with it, it does not take long to release Miike has something to say about modern Japanese society and after watching Visitor Q you quickly release he is in no mood to say it politely!
That’s it, there’s so much more I want to write, but if I did I might spoil the many dark treats and horrors that await you … one more question, Have you ever hit your mum? (You will see)

To some up if a quite Japanese guy with permed hair, tight leather pants and a very bad taste in shirts shows up uninvited at your home … run, this dude fucked up!
9/10 for this one, maybe Miikes greatest film to date, certainly the most thought provoking … watch it and then join me in saying WHAT THE FUCK?

Feral

ispitonyourmovie.com

REVIEWS

isoymAsia

Forum

Last edited by feral cat; 07-21-2004 at 11:15 PM.
Old 07-30-2004, 04:15 PM
Fool's follow

Send a message via Yahoo to feral cat
Only seven views ... does no one like this movie? I know its not got Jason and Freddy in it, but come on guys, broaden your horizons a little .... :(

ispitonyourmovie.com

REVIEWS

isoymAsia

Forum
Old 07-30-2004, 05:42 PM
legal eyes

Send a message via AIM to jay o2 waster
yeah
Old 09-13-2005, 07:24 AM
Umbra Asylum

Send a message via Yahoo to bloodrayne

My Karma ran over my Dogma

God WAS my co-pilot...But, we crashed in the mountains and...I had to eat him

I'm suffocating in what's become of me...
The rancid remains of what I used to be
Old 04-11-2006, 11:49 PM
Therapy?

Hated the movie, it's one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I'm so glad this wasn't the first Takashi Miike film I saw, or I would have avoided the rest at all costs.

It was an overly confusing mess of a movie and it was 100% about the shock value. Continue to push that envelope, I seem to be the only one rolling my eyes at it anyway. :rolleyes:
Old 04-12-2006, 12:41 PM
Your funeral... my trial

Re: ...

Quote:
Originally posted by Angelakillsluts
Hated the movie, it's one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I'm so glad this wasn't the first Takashi Miike film I saw, or I would have avoided the rest at all costs.

It was an overly confusing mess of a movie and it was 100% about the shock value. Continue to push that envelope, I seem to be the only one rolling my eyes at it anyway. :rolleyes:
I must respectfully disagree. You see, Japan has a long tradition of "family drama" TV shows and movies. Basically, the plot goes something like this: family encounters adversity and begins to fall apart; later, an momentous even occurs which allows the family to pull back together and triumph over whatever trouble they were facing. In Visitor Q, Miike was subverting and satirizing the conventions of the family drama to illustrate the decay of the traditional family unit in modern day Japan. If you examine his films closely, you will see that Miike never does anything simply for shock value. All of his films have a deeper meaning than what is spelled out for the viewer.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:30 PM
Therapy?

Atleast I understand his intentions with this movie, I know I'm in the heavy minority aswell.

Last edited by Angelakillsluts; 04-12-2006 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:42 PM
Banned

Re: ...

Quote:
Originally posted by Angelakillsluts
Atleast I understand his intentions with this movie, I know I'm in the heavy minority aswell.

dont sweat it - i'm not a fan either ..

regardless of the motivations .. the japanese 'alternative culture' is all about excess .. be it torture-pain-violence in anime or comics, bizarro sex ... etc ...

i dig a lot of what comes from that country .. but i just dont have a personal need to push the envelope ever frigging day..
Old 04-12-2006, 04:06 PM
Evil Dead

I loved this movie! I bought it mainly coz I was a fan of Ichi the Killer, but I really found it interesting. Obviously it's rather extreme in what it portrays, but the message is quite clear to me...

It puts the message accross that no matter how different you and the rest of your family are, you will always stick by each other through thick or thin......The son is being bullied, the dad is a failing film maker and the mum is putting up with the dad's film obsessions.

At the end of the film, you see the wife helping the hubby with the dead corpse and then they both help the son with his bullies. They have all done some terrible things though the film but they all help each other at the end.

The moral is, no matter what a family member does, they are always family and you must always stick by them....Thats the way I see it anyway.

My DVD Collection
Old 04-12-2006, 04:19 PM
Therapy?

Re: Re: ...

Quote:
Originally posted by urgeok
dont sweat it - i'm not a fan either ..
Thank-god, I thought I'd be the only one. Now let's walk out of this thread back to back so we don't get jumped! :D