Old 07-01-2006, 05:41 AM
Mighty HDC Drunken Pirate

55. The Fly (1986)

One of the most brilliant and compelling movies made by Cronenberg, The Fly is essentially a remake of the 1958 classic. It plays on the human psyche of establishing oneself as the most superior species, and the whole tendency of experiments gone awry. Cronenberg himself says that the Fly is basically based on mortality: human tendencies coupled with human ego is not beyond the ultimate truth of human life.
The plot is about an eccentric scientist who invites a female reporter to watch his latest successful experiment, involving the teleportation of objects from one place to another, using the technique of breaking it down to molecules and then re-assembling it on the other end. In-between testing objects and baboons and several failed attempts, the scientist and the reporter fall in love. This is succeeded by the first successful teleportation of a live baboon, which makes the scientist excited about carrying out the experiment on himself. He goes through with it, not noticing a fly which creeps into his teleportation pod. The teleportation is successful, and the scientist feels certain effects such as feeling stronger, clearer mind and thoughts, and high sex urges. Also some time passes on, the reporter notices certain odd behaviours in the scientist, which culminates in the slow transformation of the scientist into a hideous beast...Brundlefly.
This movie has been hailed by moviegoers and critics alike as the best Cronenberg movie. It does have some really sweet effects and badass gore at the end, and the characterisation is done to perfection by the leads (Jeff Goldblum & Geena Davis). The whole atmosphere of the movie is creepy, and as the scientist starts to transform, it slowly gets more surreal and darker, and the pace quickens towards an explosively-charged climax. A must-see, if not already seen. - __V__

54. The Changeling

Bar none, The Changeling is George C. Scott's finest performance. From the very first frame, the viewer is nearly smothered in an overwhelming mood of gloom and despair. This combined with a few truly creepy scenes creates one of the most powerful haunted house films ever made, all without showing us even one actual ghost. A throwback to the "quiet horror" of such films as The Haunting, The Changeling was somewhat anachronistic even when it was first released. I, for one, wish that a few more filmmakers would learn a lesson from this film. The Changeling proves to us that you don't have to show rampaging spirits and buckets of gore to scare the bejesus out of the audience. - noctuary

53. The Ring (2002)

When her niece spontaneously dies of fright one week to the day she watched a video, Rachel Keller, a cynical journalist played by Naomi Watts, journeys up the Pacific Coast to find the answer. What she finds is a remote cabin and the video tape. Rachel hesitantly puts the tape in the machine. What she views is mostly static, but is able to make out a few disturbing images. As she digs deeper into the tape's history her belief in the legend grows. All Rachel can do now is follow her leads and hope that she can uncover truth b/f her time runs out. The Hollywood remake of Hideo Nakata's, Ringu (1998); director Gore Verbinski makes his version just as frightening and appealing. - tarcher80

52. Henry: Portrait of A Serial Killer

Brutal from the word go. This movie follows a cold blooded sociopath through his day to day life. Violent, bloody, dark and gritty, this is not your typical popcorn flick, but it is sure one hell of a great piece of filmmaking! - bwind22

51. The Wicker Man

Unfortunately when the polling for this list was taking place, I hadn't seen this wonderful film. If I had, it certainly would have been on my list.
Edward Woodward and Christopher Lee both give fantastic performances here, especially in the final scenes. In fact, most of the film's strength lies in the ending. I wont spoil it in case there are those who've yet to see it, but suffice to say everything comes together perfectly with some shocking twists.
A sense of dread builds right from the start, and by the ending it is near unbearable. Easily one of the greatest horror films of all time. - The_Return

Last edited by _____V_____; 04-12-2014 at 11:48 AM.
Old 07-01-2006, 06:03 AM

50. The Haunting (1963)

The pioneer of movies based on the haunted house premise, The Haunting is regarded as a classic in the genre today. Dishing out genuinely creepy thrills and chills, with plenty of scares and suspense-charged sequences, this movie broke new grounds in the 60s with its strong script and brilliant presentation of it.
The buildup of the atmosphere of the movie is excellent. The house itself is presented with a chilling emptiness, with its closed doors and deep, dark, unknown passageways. The viewers will feel fidgety and unnerved as the characters themselves are driven towards uneasiness, gripping all of them with a tense foreboding of evil. The movie grabs the viewers in a vice-like grip and doesnt relent, till the end.
The plotline is simple - a scientist comes across a house named Hill House, which is said to have been unlucky and haunted ever since it was built. He is determined to spend some time in the house, so that he could prove his theory about a house being really haunted. For his adventure, he invites a group of people who have had some experience with the unknown before, but only a handful of those decide to accompany him. And once night falls, the scares start, and its a long way till morning comes...
The characters are introduced with unique personalities each, which adds further to the tense atmosphere of the movie. The strong point of the movie is the apparent lack of any real visual scares, yet it excels in inspiring sheer horror in the audiences. The script is driven by the solid premise of the fear of the unknown, which is maintained from the beginning of the movie till the end. Its darn near impossible to sit through this movie and not feel even one moment of genuine fear, but the constant suspense of the eventual solution or a possible explanation makes this an edge-of-the-seat ride. Also there are twists in the plot which add subplots to the pace of the flick and make it more unpredictable, yet they add to the psyche of the movie, and fill it with total surrealness and gripping tension.
Excellent direction, a very strong script, and great performances create a masterful horror-filled atmosphere throughout this classic. The editing, soundtrack and cinematography are awesome, and make The Haunting a milestone in the horror genre...often repeated, but never bettered. Comes with a high recommendation. __V__

49. The Blair Witch Project

Aided by a phenomenal advertising campaign, The Blair Witch Project managed to gross many multiples of its low budget in the opening weekend alone. By convincing many that it was the actual tape of the last days of a film crew, Blair Witch is widely toted as the scariest film made in years, and deservedly so. Though many may complain that the plot moves too slowly, the incredible tension that is set up in the final half hour or so makes it worthwhile. - The_Return

48. The Amityville Horror (1979)

The haunted house has been an icon for horror since God-knows-when. Rarely, however, is it taken seriously. In fact, the haunted house is used in most Halloween-time children’s programs. The Amityville Horror, however, is the exception. The Amityville Horror shocks me over and over again with its ability to horrify, even keying in the fact that not a single person dies in the flick. - alkytrio666

47. Night of the Living Dead (1990)

THIS is what a remake should be – In remaking Romero’s classic Night of the Living Dead, Tom Savini (who, of course, is a frequent collaborator and friend of Romero’s) stayed incredibly true and faithful to the source material, while still updating it for modern society and adding enough twists, turns and sly references to keep even the most die hard fans of the original on their toes to the very end.
The main change is this version is the character of Barbara. In the original she is weak, scared and – in all honesty – annoying beyond reason. Savini revamps her completely, turning her into a strong willed, thick-skinned warrior woman by the end of the film. My other favourite update has to do with the ending, but I won’t spoil that for you, in case there’s still some poor should reading this that hasn’t watched either version. Suffice to say, it’s a wonderful little twist on the classic ending of the original. Not quite as powerful of course, but still pretty stunning.
This movie has it all. Social commentary, great acting (Tony Todd is at his best, and Tom Towles chews the scenery like a pro), twists, turns, and plenty of gore. Does it live up to the original? God no, nothing ever has or ever will. That doesn’t change the fact that this is hands down one of the best zombie movies of modern times, and easily among the all-time greatest remakes. - The_Return

46. Demons (Demoni)

Ever since I saw this Argento classic, I fell in love with it. This movie has some really sweet gore scenes and a very interesting plot. The effects have been done really well and the director needs to be commended on the way he handles the plot and the characters with apparent smoothness.
The story concerns two female friends who get tickets to a re-opened theater. The girls decide to pay a visit to the theater where they come across other people who have got similar tickets. One of them, a prostitute gets her cheek cut by a prop mask kept in the lobby. She shrugs it off and like others, starts to watch the movie which is about demons. The movie includes scenes from "real life", and the prostitute runs into the bathroom to see her cut growing larger and within no time, she turns into a demon. Her scratches turn others into demons and so on, and suddenly there's complete mayhem at the theater. The ones who are normal, band together to stay alive and get out of that theater.
A major part of the movie centres on the gore, which I must say, is excellently done. The transformation of the humans into demons is shown quite nicely, with all the blood and pus involved. Also the demons move around in packs, which makes the atmosphere really charged up everytime a pack of demons set their eyes on the human survivors. The demons themselves look freaky, and there's a lot of cheesiness involved, especially from the sword welding hero who kicks the demons' butts in the end.
The characterisation is really good. The major characters are the two girls and two guys whom they meet, but several smaller characters play their roles to perfection. Bava handles all of it with perfectly timed ease, which keeps the pace of the movie real smooth and edgy from start to finish.
A majorly entertaining flick. Apparently one of the best demon movies of all time. Great effects, and fantastic gore. - __V__

Last edited by _____V_____; 04-12-2014 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-01-2006, 06:21 AM

45. Aliens

Considered by some to be better than the first, Aliens picks up where Alien left off. Ellen Ripley (Sigourney Weaver) is thrown right back into the thick of things as she is talked into investigating a colonized planet after communication is severed. Accompanied by a rough and ready group of soldiers and stoic droid, Bishop (Lance Henriksen) Ripley comes to find the colony has been wiped out by the very thing she tried so desperately to flee in the 1st installment. Guns fire, explosions go off, acid blood flows as Ripley and her team fights off the pursing aliens. Weaver turns in an even better performance as Ripley. And Director, James Cameron does the Ridley Scott film justice in a sequel that keeps you gripping the arms on you chair. - tarcher80

44. 28 Days Later

Danny Boyle has been a favorite director of mine ever since I saw Shallow Grave nearly ten years ago so when I learned he had a horror movie coming out, I was stoked! And in my opinion, Boyle doesn't disappoint here in this artistic infection/zombie thriller. It's a bit slowmoving in the start, but the artistry of some of the scenes should keep your mind off of that until the action starts rolling. The gore is kept fairly minimal but that does not stop this film from being an entertaining and fresh take on a genre that's been overdone to death. - bwind22

43. Re-animator

This must be the first film I saw with endless gore all the way through the film in the 80's, and man did I love it.
Right from the opening titles with the very cheesily done eyelid effect on the anatomical drawing you can just tell the film is going to be good, and you are not disappointed. After the opening sequence of Herbert's experiments going slightly wrong in Germany, we follow him to the States where he only has one thing on his mind, perfecting his day-glow green reanimation serum, and no-one is going to get in his way. Herbert West is played expertly well by Jeffrey Combs in his best role ever. His arch rival, Dr Hill is also played well by David Gale, the rest of the cast can be a bit wooden at times but not enough to detract from the film. The effects are well executed and fit the comedy of the film perfectly. There are some points where the film nearly slips a bit too far into bad taste, especially the scene with Dr Hill and Meg in the morgue, but it's reined it at the right time so just adds to the whole humour of the film.
If you haven't seen this yet, WTF, go get it now. - Yeti.13

42. Event Horizon

Nothing highbrow here, Event Horizon is a simple, but very effective "haunted house in space" film. Taking the basic premise of Alien and other such movies and giving it an occult twist, Event Horizon shows us one of the most disturbing visions of hell seen in film. Unfortunately, director Paul W.S. Anderson was forced to compromise his film in order to obtain an R rating, and thus the torture/hell scenes are somewhat watered down. However, this does not seriously detract from the film. It's still great fun and quite spooky. Event Horizon has great performances all around (especially from Neill and Fishburne) and beautiful space effects shots. A very underrated film. - noctuary

41. Ju-On

Last edited by _____V_____; 04-12-2014 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-01-2006, 06:36 AM

40. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)

Director Don Siegel's tale of paranoia follows the plight of Dr. Miles Bennell (Kevin McCarthy) as he returns to his hometown to find strange behavior among the residents. Aliens, we learn, have begun taking over the townspeople via large slimy seed pods and have hatched a cold and logical plan to replace the human race with these plant-like doppelgangers. Steeped in McCarthy era paranoia and the dangers of both invasion and conformity, Invasion helped to solidify the sci-fi horror film and its compelling storyline was intelligently revisited by Philip Kaufman in 1978. The film is only slightly marred by a tacked-on studio contrived 'happy-ending' (in which Dr. Bennell's apparently insane ravings are suddenly validated by the Highway Patrol) and some bad B-Movie acting, Siegel's Invasion is the quintessential film of American paranoia and fear of the other (something as timely today as it was in the mid-50s). - zero

39. Pumpkinhead

This just goes to show you that there's something to be said for a great, original creature design. To boot, it's also a tale of witchcraft, suffering & vengeance gone wrong. Still, the creature himself is this movies biggest claim to fame. - The Flayed One

38. The Devil's Rejects

Rob Zombie's 2nd film is a gory delight that follows a murderous family on a killing spree. The subject matter is as dark as it gets and the bloody violence is abundant. It's well acted and well directed and when you throw that in with a compelling story, you've got yourself one bad ass movie! - bwind22

37. Ringu

After the death of her cousin Tomoko (Yuko Takeuchi), reporter Reiko (Nanako Matsushima) comes across the urban legend of a videotape that kills everyone who sees it exactly one week after viewing. She coyly rights this off, but when she learns that Tomoko's friend (who watched the video with her) died at exactly the same time, she begins to investigate. After viewing the tape herself, strange events befall her. Slowly she is convinced that this is no joke and teams up with her ex-husband, hoping to prevent her fate. This is a GRIPING thriller directed by Asia's answer to Hitchock, Nanako Matsushima that became so popular Hollywood had to put their own spin on it. The Ring which was released in 2002 (directed by Gore Verbinski) was a spitting image of Matsushima�s film; also managing to scare the pants off of audiences. However, Matsushimaï's version holds up as the original and best. - tarcher80

36. Silence of the Lambs

The second Thomas Harris's Hannibal Lector novel to be adapted for the big screen (the first being Manhunter), Silence of the Lambs is one of the best psychological chillers of all time. Anthony Hopkins turns in the most memorable performance of his entire career, and Jodie Foster binds the movie with her performance as the new FBI recruit, Clarice Starling, who has to track down a serial killer of women by using the "expertise" of Dr.Lector, another notorious serial killer in FBI custody.
The movie won all 5 major Academy Awards for Best Movie, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Actress and Best Screenplay, and is a powerful depiction of the psyche of a deranged and eccentric genius who uses his talents for all the wrong purposes, and the deep-rooted fear of the young rookie who has no choice but to endure her deepest secrets and terrors being fed into her naked mind, in exchange of which she hopes to get any sort of clues as to what makes the elusive killer's mind tick.
Superbly crafted, and brilliantly directed by Jonathan Demme. Mesmerising performances by the entire supporting cast, and dominated by Hopkins. A must-watch of modern times cinema - __V__

Last edited by _____V_____; 04-12-2014 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-01-2006, 06:52 AM

35. Return of the Living Dead

This movie shouldn't work ... it has all the earmarks of a cheap throwaway 80's horror film,
but it does work. Extremely well. The success comes largely from the excellent casting of the mature characters played by Clu Gulager, James Karen, and Don Calfa. They provided a much needed balance for the younger miss-matched cast and not only save the film but propel it into a cult classic. This film positions itself as a follow-up to Night of the Living Dead ..'which really did happen - and became a government cover-up'.
Again I cannot stress the importance of the older characters. They share some great dialogue (courtesy of Dan O'Bannon) and steal every scene. (with the exception of Linnea Quigley's graveyard striptease) The one thing that always bothered me with this film was the strange mix of kids ..a gang of punks, new romantics, jocks, and regular kids - normally a group that wouldn't associate with each other in the 80's - all hanging out as a pack. But the good far outweighs the bad in this film ... right to the very last frame. - urgeok

34. Rosemary's Baby

I'm not much of a Stephen King fan, but he really gets this movie good in his book Danse Macabre.

basically, he talks about how Rosemary's Baby is much more of a political movie than a horror movie. and I hafta say, given the time this flick was made, he makes a lot of sense.
like Invasion of the Body Snatchers, this movie preyed on its audience's fear of communists and the idea that "they are among us and you don't know who may be one." in short, the paranoia of the McCarthy era.
I also like it because it's slow. I prefer character-based films over action/reaction-based ones, and this one would probly be considered slow to most modern horror fans, but that's part of why I love it. to me, the best horror movies are ones that, if you took out all the horror elements, it would still be a good movie. there's a lot going on in this movie besides a skinny chick getting knocked up by the debbil. check it out, if you haven't already, and if you have, give it another chance. - knife_fight

33. Zombie (aka zombi 2)

And who doesn't recall the famous "eye" scene, to this day I still turn away! This film is a Fulci classic and delivers the goods in terms of story, F/X and blood....lots of it! - mothermold

32. Ginger Snaps

When I first viewed Ginger Snaps at the SIFF (Seattle International Film Festival) it blew me away. Not only was it the best werewolf film I had seen in what seemed like ages, it was also a charming black comedy. It wonderfully intermingles the tragedy of becoming a werewolf with the fact of puberty, at points using one as a metaphor for the other. - The Flayed One

31. Frankenstein (1931)

The horror movie that, in my opinion, started it all! And not only is it a horror movie, but it's also, in a way, a love story. Honestly, nobody can tell me that, when viewing Frankenstein, that they didn't feel for the monster. All he was trying to do was adapt to this new life and world of his, but didn't quite full understand what life is. Such as the seen where he's throwing flowers into the pond with the little girl. Sure, everybody was scared shitless when they seen the monster throw her into the pond (which was originally cut from the release, which made the monster look more sadistic than ever when he carried the little girl out of the water), but he didn't know that when he was done with the flowers, that he was done for good. So maybe I'm getting a little too sentimental (and seeming both gay and like a necrophiliac), but that's what the movie Frankenstein truly was to me. A scary and loving horror movie at the same time! - Yellow Jacket

Last edited by _____V_____; 04-12-2014 at 11:19 PM.
Old 07-01-2006, 07:10 AM

30. Friday the 13th

well, this is obviously it. the one that started it all. that is reason enough for this to be required viewing, and maybe ownership, by anyone proclaiming to be a horror fan.
like lots of movies, I like the way this one looks because it doesn't look like anything being made today. maybe I have been duped into believing that anything old is automatically better, but it doesn't matter because for one reason or another, I think this movie is awesome. from the poster art (the outline of the killer with the kids walking through the woods), to the costumes, to the murder methods.... it's all good.
I don't want to spoil anything, but the mystery involved in this is like in Psycho... everyone knows the end (it's embedded in pop culture, unfortunately) but somehow it is still surprising. - knife_fight

29. Saw

What a movie! Never have I been so mind-boggled before! Saw may not be a movie that you watch over and over again (I've still only watched it once), but damn is it excellent! There was not a minute that passed by that I was questioning who the serial killer (though, since he never killed anybody, he can't be convicted of this) was. And, when the killer was revealed (don't worry, Im not giving away the ending), I never even thought of that person to be the prime suspect. And, I have to hand it to Cary Elwes for his terrific performance (even if tons of people disagree with me on that)! Saw is, in my opinion, one of the few excellent horror movies of the '00s! - Yellow Jacket

28. Kairo (Pulse)

Possibly the best of the modern horror movies, certainly one of the best horror movies period. Kurosawa has a talent for direction that nigh lives up to his namesake. The use of light and the layering of the screen from foreground to background is staggaring, especially when compared to the generic 'suddenly there's a monster right in front of the camera' style of horror filmmaking. - the STE

27. In the Mouth of Madness

Insurance investigator Sam Neill is asked to find a missing top-selling horror author who appears to be driving his fans to insanity with his writings.
Its difficult to fully explain whats going on in this film, its much easier to watch and enjoy, and enjoy you certainly will! Sam Neill is excellent and Jurgen Prochnow provides ample support in this deranged but wonderfully unique film. - scouse mac

26. Dead Alive aka Braindead

Before there was the multi-billion dollar juggernaut that is the Lord of the Rings trilogy, the man whom they call 'Peter Jackson' directed this horror favorite. So over-the-top in the gore category it just has to be seen to be believed, Dead Alive has earned a place in the heart of horror fans old and young alike. - The Flayed One

Last edited by _____V_____; 04-12-2014 at 11:22 PM.
Old 07-01-2006, 07:22 AM

25. Dog Soldiers

A group of british squaddies are sent to the Scottish Highlands for a training exercise, unknowingly used as bait for a special ops unit to capture a werewolf.
This is what the modern British horror is all about. A pacy plot, solid script with plenty of humour and stand up performances. A special note goes to Sean Pertwee for his excellent delivery of the Devil's tattoo story. This really is a top quality film, proving that low budget doesn't necessarily mean cheap. A must see! - scouse mac

24. Scream

Ah Scream, where to begin? This movie has it all: Blood, jumps, suspense, good music, great acting all around, funny and interesting characters, and to top it all off, the movie is laced with an uncopyable humor found only in Scream itself. An instant classic in my book, this film won me over by how it made fun of itself, and the genre, in a way that other horror films could not... It made the movie better! With everything mentioned above, some great cameos from Linda Blair and Craven himself... and Neve Campbell, i'd say you wasted a good 2 minutes reading when you could be into the infamous opening scene! - Posher778

23. Jaws

Roy Scheider plays NYC cop, Martin Brody who enters his first summer as Chief of Police on Amity Island. Everything is going 'swimmingly' until the remains of girl washes up on shore. Brody battles the town's mayor to label it a shark attack and in the mean time the body count rises. Enter - Matt Hoper (Richard Dreyfuss) and Quint (Robert Shaw), joining Brody in a 'motley crew' of a fishing carter, given the task of hunting down and killing the 'rogue' shark. With great performances from the three actors and ambitious directing from a 26-year old Steven Spielberg, Jaws is an entertaining thriller from start to finish. - tarcher80

22. American Psycho

This movie was a random find for me, and I had no prior expectations before watching it. It blew me away with the superb acting job by Christian Bale in the role that I will forever remember him for. Before he was Batman, he was Bateman, and it was the most believable acting job I have ever seen. With a combination of 80's pop music and naked chainsaw hooker murdering, this movie rejuvenated my love of the horror genre. - orangestar

21. Audition

Not just a horror film, but a study of gender relations in modern Japan, Audition is Takashi Miike's crowning achievement. The tension slowly and surely builds to the incredibly shocking ending. Throughout the film, Miike subtly indicates that something is not right about Asami, but nothing can prepare the viewer for just how wrong things become. Asami is, in fact, one of the most terrifying figures of modern cinema, a seemingly perfect lover who is slowly revealed to be a monster of pure hatred and pain. Audition is a brilliant film, one of the few true masterpieces of modern Asian filmmaking. - noctuary

Last edited by _____V_____; 04-12-2014 at 11:25 PM.
Old 07-01-2006, 07:38 AM

20. Nosferatu (1922)

This is my personal favourite 'Dracula' film and I personally feel Max Schrek's portrayal of the role is the best in cinema history. It is hugely atmospheric and has some stunning visuals. The scene towards the end of the film where 'Count Orlock' approaches Ellen's bedroom, where you just see his elongated shadow on the wall has to be one of the most iconic scenes in horror history. Considering the age of this film, about 80 years old, I find it remarkable it still works a good horror film. Ok it's black and white and silent but that shouldn't put you of, just give it a try and see how influential it has been on films since. Ok some of the acting is hammy but what do you expect from the 1920's? If you want to see a creepy vampire film you can't go wrong with this, and just think what horror film from recent years will still be talked about in 80 year's time? None that I can think of. - Yeti.13

19. Hellraiser

Hellraiser is one of those films you absolutely need to view twice. Why? Because the first time it is seen, you will be so shocked and out of sync that you will not be able to truly see its beauty. Led by Pinhead, the Cenobites are perhaps the most frightening things to ever come out of horror. This film is not for the faint-hearted, as it is extremely dark and very twisted. And that’s why, through a few silly 80s claymation scenes and bizarre soundtrack, we treasure this one close in our rotting little horror hearts. - alkytrio666

18. Suspiria

The first time I watched Suspiria, I wasn't sure what I was seeing at first, but the more I watched, the more intrigued I became. The garish lighting and that strange, unrelenting tune that holds throughout the movie made me feel progressively more uncomfortable until finally, I was sitting on the edge of the couch. I think this is Dario Argento's finest work, a beautiful and terrible thing to watch. - Miss Olivia

17. Evil Dead 2: Dead By Dawn

I first saw this back in the late 80s, and it is one of the few films that I never get bored of.
In my opinion this is the best horror comedies of all time. Gore, violence, slapstick comedy, amazing effects, tons of blood, laughing furniture, straight forward story line great acting and of course Bruce Campbell! What the hell else could you ask for?
The original Evil Dead was good but this has to be my favourite.
It has a very simple plot, so no thinking is required but it is not your usual cheap crappy horror film. The camera work is fantastic especially for it's time and the budget of the film, but the main thing that makes this a great film has to be Mr Campbell. His hammy acting is out of this world, who else can pull off beating yourself up with so much style? He just fits the film perfectly, be it talking to himself, laughing with the rest of the house or cutting off his hand with a chainsaw.
The Deadites are all fantastic and all talk in just the right eerie way, all the make-up F/X are all handled brilliantly and still look good today. Also the on going one-upmanship between Sam Raimi and Wes Craven is still evident with Freddy glove being hung above the door in the tool shed.
If you haven't seen this film you'd better have a bloody good excuse!!
To put it in one word 'Groovy!' - Yeti.13

16. Day of the Dead

Day of the Dead is the third installment in the Romero Zombie Trilogy. This film is darker and eviler then the two previous films because it deals with a corrupt underground government and the people who try to over turn it to survive. I liked this one alot because it dealt with zombies becoming more advanced and it makes it creepier to think that could actually happen in the film. Zombies running around using guns? That is just crazy! - GorePhobia

Last edited by _____V_____; 04-12-2014 at 11:28 PM.
Old 07-01-2006, 08:14 AM

15. Dracula (1931)

14. Se7en

After a long time, this was the movie which re-defined the horror/slasher genre. The uniqueness, the brilliant plot and the masterful direction made Se7en one of the best movies in Hollywood history. Impressionable viewers were shocked and disgusted (especially by the climax) and the movie left a deep and disturbing effect on the grey cells.
The plot concerns two homicide detectives who are investigating a case of randomly bizarre murders which have an apparent link to the Seven Deadly Sins as given in the Bible. Once the pattern is established, the detectives try to gauge the identity of the next victim and thus find out who the mad killer is. The movie has a novel, fresh feel to it, which is added by the fact that the story in itself is unique and different than the tired and old predictable slashers of the 80s and 90s.
Some of the picturised deaths were gruesome and really revolting. The way in which Fincher handles his cast (Brad Pitt, Morgan Freeman, Gwyneth Paltrow, Kevin Spacey) is really commendable. The chemistry between the young, energetic cop and his tiring, close-to-retirement partner, and how they get involved in the killer's lunatic pattern, is racy edge-of-the-seat stuff. It keeps the viewer spellbound from start to finish, and by the time the climax comes in, audiences will be shocked, severly jolted and left praying that they didnt see what they just did. The most interesting aspect of all this, is that the killer, John Doe, is never shown killing his victims in the movie, which makes the deaths all the more horrifying.
For its creativity, uniqueness and racy spellbinding pacing, I give this movie 10/10. Definitely THE topper of all my favorite movies in the Horror/Slasher genre. If you havent seen this yet, I pity you. - __V__

13. The Omen

A creepy, goosebump-inducing film that literally had me on the edge of my seat! Shadowed as cheesy horror fare, The Omen has been skipped upon viewings by so many people. But, I'm here to say that The Omen is one of the few movies to ever scare me (and fear a name). It sent chills up and down my spine, and didn't give up until the credits rolled. - Yellow Jacket

12. An American Werewolf in London

One of the best, if not the best black comedy I have seen. Yet another film I saw when I was a kid and I was blown away. The film has a fantastic flow to it with not one boring bit in the whole film. All the characters are excellent from the main cast to the background folk. Honourable mention has to go to Brian Glover, he was always fantastic. The effects, by Rick Baker, are fantastic and it was one of the first times you saw a full transformation from man to wolf without to many cut a ways. All the victims are equally grisly especially Jack, with that nice waggly bit of skin on his neck. The music it also fantastic and fits the film perfectly, especially Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Bad Moon Rising."
The story is basically your run of the mill werewolf story but with the dark comedy this is one werewolf film you don't want to miss. And I can't not mention Jenny Agutter, if you're as old as me and male you'll know what I mean, if you are younger, ask your dad!
If you haven't seen it yet check it out and "Beware the Moon" - Yeti.13

11. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

In many ways Tobe Hooper's low-budget shocker is the most amazing and influential film in the history of American horror. This simple tale of a quintet of young people drifting through south Texas and their encounter with a cannibal family helped to set the stage for the hugely popular slasher films of the 1980s. But, beyond the film's capacity to horrify (something it achieves through intensity and an unflinching camera's eye rather than graphic effects) and the controversies that erupted surrounding its release in the US and UK, Chainsaw is a highly intelligent look at the brutality of American capitalism and the twisted distortions of the American family in the midst of the economic stagnation of the mid-1970s. Sadly, while Hooper's debut filmed picks up the mantle put forward by Romero's Night of the Living Dead in terms of brutality and intelligence, Hooper himself was unable to follow up on his first film's promise. - zero

Last edited by _____V_____; 04-12-2014 at 11:31 PM.
Old 07-01-2006, 08:28 AM

10. The Shining (1980)

The Shining is one of those movies that will never go out of style. It's a mix of psychological thriller and haunted house horror that builds tension so masterfully that many times you feel it in the muscles of your shoulders before your brain is aware of it. The breakdown of the family unit is like a train wreck, and you watch helplessly as the father (Jack Nicholson, in a master performance) slowly descends into madness aided by the darkness that lives in the hotel. There are scenes that haunt me until this day, and I've never been in a hotel corridor since that didn't have me looking over my shoulder. The musical score is perfect for building the tension, and when the hotel truly wakes up, the movie becomes one nightmare of a ride. A must-see for any horror fan. - Miss Olivia

9. A Nightmare on Elm Street

A Nightmare on Elm Street was a dark and gritty horror film. It was one of the first that "started it all" in the terms of Slasher films. Wes Craven directed this horror film and in no time this film was an instant success. I loved it alot and I believe that Robert Englund, the man behind the make-up is a great actor and did a magnificent job scaring the hell out of people. - GorePhobia

8. The Evil Dead (1982)

To me, horror movies are about two things: Getting scared, and having a great time in the process. The Evil Dead pins these two objectives right in the heart, and leaves you to bleed. Not only is it creepy, it’s over the top, it’s disgusting, it’s provocative, and it’s hysterical. With the help of Bruce Campbell and the rest of Raimi’s cast, this movie is everything you need for a fun, scary night. - alkytrio666

7. Alien

For as long as I can remember, Alien has been a part of my subconcious mind. The first time I watched it, I was physically shaking by the time it was over, and slept with a light on for the next 4 years.I dream about H.R. Giger's creature now on a regular basis. The dirt, the grime, the claustrophobia, and the sheer frenzy that comes from being enclosed with a terrible THING and having nowhere to go.....all those make, for me, an enduring impression, like teethmarks in bone. Alien is one of those rare movies that stands the test of time even 25 years later. A true horror classic in every sense of the word. - Miss Olivia

6. Psycho (1960)

I guess lots of people think you're supposed to like Psycho. and I also guess that it's a combo of it being in black and white and done by Hitchcock.
but whatever the reason, even if it's just my idiotic brain that has been trained to think that black & white equals aesthetically pleasing, this film looks great. it is, of course, because of Hitchcock's direction.
there are plenty of tv shows and books about why this movie is great, or at least why you should think it is great, but I figured I'd give you one of my reasons. I like it because it reminds me of vacation.
at Universal Studios in Florida they useta have a show about Hitchcock where they recreated the Shower Scene verbatim. they showed exactly how Hitchcock shot that scene on a soundstage in front of a semi-small audience. it was amazing. it really made me appreciate that scene and, in turn, the entire movie.
they got rid of that show, unfortunately, along with a bunch of other really cool shit (like the Kong ride), but I still remember that, at one time, Universal Studios Florida had something special and meaningful, and not just lowest-common-denominator shit. or run-on sentences. - knife_fight

Last edited by _____V_____; 04-12-2014 at 11:34 PM.