Old 05-20-2009, 05:19 AM
Bad Natured

Favorite Miike flick

This guy is definitely up there in originality, gore, surrealism. Plus, he is an incredible director. i have only seen a few of his more popular flicks (Audition, One Missed Call, Gozu, Visitor Q, Imprint, with Izo next on my list), so i hate to pick a favorite at this point. Which movie would ya call his flagship? Ashe.
d

Fate is my mistress, mother of the cruel abomination that is hope.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:08 AM
Cranky

I have no idea what I'd call his "flagship" but my personal favorite is a quirky kid's comedy he directed. Chronogrrl will tell you I'm a bit obsessed with ZEBRAMAN!

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 05-22-2009, 07:30 PM
HDC Idol

What is this "Zebraman" of which you speak? :p

That was a fantastic little film. Definitely fun, well-made, humorous.

"Flagship" - Tough to say. I think that he has enough breadth and range in his movies that it's difficult to find just one that would be considered the most important opus of his career... Though I have to say, when I think Miike, I immediately think Audition. First full-length film of his that I had seen so that, to me, was my introduction not only to Miike but to Asian horror in general.

I have a difficult time choosing a favorite Miike, to tell you the truth. Almost everything that I have seen by him I have absolutely loved (and I say "almost" because I found Dead or Alive incredibly boring, base, and self-indulgent and The Happiness of the Katakuris disappointing; had some brilliant highs to it, but ultimately it felt forced)...

I feel strongly about every film of his that I've seen (be it positive or negative), but for the time being I will be brief (and spare you for now)...

If I answer the question without thinking, my first knee-jerk response is Gozu. This film is the right blend of absurd comedy as well as brilliant storytelling of what is a darkly fantastical journey. It's obviously influenced by Lynch, but in a good way (of course it helps that I am a die-hard Lynch fan to boot). I feel odd touting this film as people seem split on it - They either love it or HATE it... And those who hate it SERIOUSLY hate it... Complaints are that it's boring, pretentious, too Lynch-like... But I think that it's a daring journey into the absurd performed, directed, and acted to absolute perfection.

More Miike praise to come... I'd like to hear more thoughts on Gozu, though. Who loved it? Who hated it? And what else did you love/hate?

Join my Facebook Horror Group!

Last edited by ChronoGrl; 05-22-2009 at 07:33 PM.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:01 AM
Bad Natured

i loved Gozu as well. The ending blew me away and was well worth the wait as the film seemingly travelled through some rather absurd backroads to get there. i think that the general public would consider Audition Miike's flagship in that this flick was not so bizarre as to confuse the general audience with seemingly random symbolism. But i appreciate appropriate profundity in a flick, and i would guess that the majority of HDC'ers do as well; so as far as this forum is concerned, i would think that one of his more abstruse films would be deemed a favorite. Visitor Q, Gozu, and Izo seem to fit this bill in my opinion. Time will tell. Ashe.
d

Fate is my mistress, mother of the cruel abomination that is hope.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:54 AM
Cranky

You must check out Zebraman! You MUST!

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 05-24-2009, 07:30 AM
Scares Little Kids

I think it'd have to be Audition for me, partly because it's the only time I've ever seen an adult member of an audience run out of a screening. Not calmly walk out, but just absolutely bolt.. With a newspaper held up so that he didn't have to see another second.

This may have corresponded with the words 'Kiri, kiri, kiri' on the soundtrack :)
Old 05-28-2009, 03:10 AM
Misanthrope

Fudoh is probably my favorite. Big fan of Ichi too. His Masters of Horror episode Imprint was amazing too.

I've only seen the first Dead or Alive and didn't really get into it but maybe the other parts are better.

I still haven't seen Audition people seem to either love it or hate it. I thought One Missed Call was dull.

I enjoyed Young Thugs: Nostalgia and if you want you can read my review here:
http://dvdholocaust.com/review.php?id=261