Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Music
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-18-2005, 04:26 AM
Misanthrope

^^ You.
Old 06-18-2005, 10:42 PM
Is Having a Baby!

The Ramones, The Clash, Minor Threat, Fugazi, The Evens, The Bad Brains, The Germs, Refused, Television, The Misfits (old), Sex Pistols... I am forgetting some... and also some bands are punk but have more rock n roll sounding music.
Old 06-18-2005, 10:49 PM
Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally posted by Deposable
... and also some bands are punk but have more rock n roll sounding music.
Dead Boys, Stooges, Rocket From The Tombs, Dictators, MC5, Radio Birdman kinda thing......?

One of my favorites in that kinda vein:

Old 06-18-2005, 11:59 PM
Is Having a Baby!

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvis_Christ
Dead Boys, Stooges, Rocket From The Tombs, Dictators, MC5, Radio Birdman kinda thing......?

One of my favorites in that kinda vein:
How could I forget the Stooges or MC5... god dammit.

I never heard the Dictators... I should really give them a try
Old 06-19-2005, 03:56 AM
Misanthrope

Its a good cheesed out (in a good way) rock n' roll. The Next Big Thing and Two Tub Man are real kickass songs you should download to see if you're into them. Do you get into the New York Dolls?
Old 06-19-2005, 02:28 PM
Is Having a Baby!

I heard one song by the New York Dolls on the Radio. I really dug it. I am willing too hear more, seeing as how they were one of the original punk bands. I think the most original was The Ramones or The Sex Pistols because the dolls were just doing Twisted Rock N Roll.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:13 PM
Misanthrope

The Dolls have two great albums and are really worth your time. The Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers album L.A.M.F is good also (it has some great songs especially Pirate Love, Get off the Phone and One Track Mind). Sleazy junkie rock. Heard much of The Cramps?

Punks more a attitude than a style of music. The Pistols and Ramones are more rn'r bands than punk bands (as were Dead Boys, The Germs, Crime, ect). The first notable "punk" band was Crass in my opinon. They started punk as we know it today.... very influential on the whole scene.

"You said that we were trash... well the name's Crass not Clash. You can stuff your punk credentials cause it's you who take the cash"
Old 06-19-2005, 10:31 PM
Is Having a Baby!

Quote:
The Dolls have two great albums and are really worth your time. The Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers album L.A.M.F is good also (it has some great songs especially Pirate Love, Get off the Phone and One Track Mind). Sleazy junkie rock. Heard much of The Cramps?

Punks more a attitude than a style of music. The Pistols and Ramones are more rn'r bands than punk bands (as were Dead Boys, The Germs, Crime, ect). The first notable "punk" band was Crass in my opinon. They started punk as we know it today.... very influential on the whole scene.

"You said that we were trash... well the name's Crass not Clash. You can stuff your punk credentials cause it's you who take the cash"
I understand what you mean about style, understood. but now a days, punk is more seen as what you wear. Back then, Punk is only about music and social meaning, which all the bands I named have.

What I don't understand is how you can say The Germs, Pistols, The ramones were more Rock N' Roll than Punk. You can't get any more attitude than Darby Crash.

I've heard of the Cramps, never really heard they're music. I am just not too into goths.

I disagree, The Velvet Understand and the Stooges were the first punk bands.

Last edited by Deposable; 06-19-2005 at 10:38 PM.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:54 PM
Misanthrope

The Cramps aren't goths. The Velvets and Stooges fit into the whole proto-punk thing for sure.... I was talking about what the scene has become. Theres always been bands that have been called punk for what they wore ever since people adopted the mohawk, spikes and leather jacket uniform. But it definatley is more noticable these days because of the bullshit "Fashioncore" bands like Good Charlotte, AFI, ect, ect..... so many bands that are all style and no substance. I think thats why I like the early American Hardcore scene (Circle Jerks, Minor Threat, Black Flag, Angry Samoans, Reagan Youth ect.) because it was just jeans and T-Shirts not the cliched uniform and it made the scene real again and it let to some great early 80s alternative music.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:59 PM
Is Having a Baby!

Quote:
The Cramps aren't goths. The Velvets and Stooges fit into the whole proto-punk thing for sure.... I was talking about what the scene has become. Theres always been bands that have been called punk for what they wore ever since people adopted the mohawk, spikes and leather jacket uniform. But it definatley is more noticable these days because of the bullshit "Fashioncore" bands like Good Charlotte, AFI, ect, ect..... so many bands that are all style and no substance. I think thats why I like the early American Hardcore scene (Circle Jerks, Minor Threat, Black Flag, Angry Samoans, Reagan Youth ect.) because it was just jeans and T-Shirts not the cliched uniform and it made the scene real again and it let to some great early 80s alternative music.
Me and you would make a bad ass band. I couldn't agree with you more.

I love all punk but you seem too like the "Hardcore" scene from the D.C area/West Coast... they didn't even call it "punk".

I totally agree with you, Minor Threat was one of my first punk bands and it changed my life...