Old 08-26-2004, 04:44 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by HauteTension676
ok thanks zwoti
and in that order
Old 08-26-2004, 06:36 AM
Evil Dead

I am with RatFink13 on this , definately pick them up.. If you like gore movies you will absolutely love them

Fulci Lives!!!!
Old 08-26-2004, 12:02 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to darthvonpokemon Send a message via Yahoo to darthvonpokemon
I've got the 'Flower of Flesh and Blood/ Making of Guinea Pig' DVD. If you're looking for an actual horror movie with plot and tons of chills, this is NOT it. It's all pretty mininmal at best. However, I got it to see the "supposedly" amazing gore effects. I was not disappointed. The scene where the 'samurai' saws off the girls left hand and then the fingers close still makes me cringe (I have a thing about wrists for reasons unknown). The effects are bar none top notch. 'The Making of...' is fantastic for any of us indie filmakers or FX enthusiasts since they give a whole run down on how to do this, that and the other thing. Fascinating stuff. If you have ever seen the Tom Savini 'Scream Greats' video in the early 80s, you will be blown away by how advanced the "art" has become since then. The most scary thing of all about it, I was able to get it on Amazon.com LOL
CK
Old 08-26-2004, 05:57 PM
Hellraiser

Quote:
Originally posted by darthvonpokemon
I've got the 'Flower of Flesh and Blood/ Making of Guinea Pig' DVD. If you're looking for an actual horror movie with plot and tons of chills, this is NOT it. It's all pretty mininmal at best. However, I got it to see the "supposedly" amazing gore effects. I was not disappointed. The scene where the 'samurai' saws off the girls left hand and then the fingers close still makes me cringe (I have a thing about wrists for reasons unknown). The effects are bar none top notch. 'The Making of...' is fantastic for any of us indie filmakers or FX enthusiasts since they give a whole run down on how to do this, that and the other thing. Fascinating stuff. If you have ever seen the Tom Savini 'Scream Greats' video in the early 80s, you will be blown away by how advanced the "art" has become since then. The most scary thing of all about it, I was able to get it on Amazon.com LOL
CK
ok thanks once again. it sounds that you got high praise from the film and you really enjoyed it. This sounds something like i should enjoy (although your right i do go for more horror movies with a somewhat plot) But i'll still give this series a try.
Old 08-27-2004, 05:57 PM
Undead

Honestly I didn't really enjoy them that much Im a "gore hound" so to speak but there really wasn't much point to these flick there is tonnes of violence and such but I need a little bit of story to back up the gore not just gore for gores sake if ya know what I mean! but again just my opinion

Proteus
Old 10-04-2004, 03:38 AM
Banned

GUINEA PIG sure sorts out the men from the boys, don't it?

UNABRIDGED AGONY (DEVIL'S EXPERIMENT) is probably more disturbing than THE FLOWER, THE FLESH & THE BLOOD with its mock-snuff stance - pelting a woman with bits of rotten flesh?

FLOWER is definately worth seeing for its fantastic prosthetic/makeup work - only thing letting the overall experience down and the viewer off the hook are the crunchy, squelchy OTT sound effects that accompany all the sawing and slicing.

(And a blatantly false chicken - director Hideshi Hino wisely insisted the animal should not be harmed)

As one observer noted, "...the effects are good - TOO good; they left my stomach feeling like a broken Slinky"...
Old 10-04-2004, 06:32 AM
Undead

Not a fan at all I own two episodes of em just for the collection but there just pointless exploitation lacking in story/acting/camera work etc just pointless excuses for violence/gore.

Proteus
Old 10-07-2004, 10:48 AM
Banned

There is no such thing as pointless exploitation - surely every created viewing experience has a point, even if it is far from the logical, ethical and moralistic base of most movies.

The GUINEA PIG films (talking about the two most notorious instalments at least) do not set out to become anything other than graphic accounts of torture - without realistic special effects or agressive, documentary-style camerawork they would have been consigned to oblivion long ago never to have reared their heads to each new generation of thrill-seekers (perhaps THEN they could be considered pointless!).

There is more background to DEVIL'S EXPERIMENT and THE FLOWER, THE FLESH & THE BLOOD if you want it (something about pain barriers and killer/victim contrasts according to their creators), but even on face value their very reputation as uncompromising and nihilistic works assures they have a point to make to every viewer - even if it is primarily "car-crash" morbid curiousity - that this is what someone is doing to someone else, wanna see how we think it might look?
Old 10-07-2004, 12:36 PM
Undead

Thanks for reminding me, I've got Flowers of Flesh and Blood on one of my computers...I'm going to go watch it now.