Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies

Old 11-24-2006, 08:56 AM
Banned

as far as humor goes in horror films .. it depends on the movie.

if its there all the time .. then its a horror -comedy done well they are fun.

if there is humor in just a day to day nature (a character says something funny) then i appreciate it - because in real life - people do occasionally say funny things... it developes the character and makes you identify with/like them a little more - gives them dimension. being (effectively) humorous is a trait people like and gravitate towards.

the key to a good horror movie is characters you like and then are afraid for.
tension is built worrying about the fate of a character you like ... no one gives a shit when colourless, lifeless, one dimensional characters are killed.

if there is just one character wisecracking all the time strictly for comedic relief - then yeah - thats a bad use of comedy in a horror. it's distracting and difusing.

i remember as a kid a scare being much more effective just after a light moment where you let down your guard and figured everyone was safe for the time being.
Old 11-24-2006, 09:13 AM
Fear scented candle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFrost View Post
no offence Unaboner3000 by "Aliens" wasnt a very good movie, or set of movies (especially since they're science fiction and not horror).
What?!

#1 Aliens is a great movie :p it practically created the action horror genre.

#2 It IS in fact a sci-fi/horror/action movie. it is all there, and most definately has enough horror elements to qualify as a horror movie.

Sorry, its my favorite so i must stand up for it.
Old 11-24-2006, 11:34 AM
Evil Dead

Aliens (1986)
Genre: Action / Horror / Sci-Fi / Thriller
User Rating: ********__ 8.3/10 (84,391 votes) top 250: #71

:)
Old 11-24-2006, 11:55 AM
Your funeral... my trial

The Alien series is really very good, especially the first, which is the only one that I would consider to be an actual horror film. And yes, the line between horror and science fiction isn't nearly as clear as some may think. Good SF is often very dark.

Anyway, I think that horror in general is starting to recover. For nearly an entire decade (the 90s) there was very little on the horror radar except for an endless cycle of self-aware teen slashers. Filmmakers are definitely starting to make more serious horror again.
Old 11-24-2006, 04:44 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to LadyFrost Send a message via Yahoo to LadyFrost
well i guess ill be throwing my hands up in defeat on the Aliens coolness factor...everyone here seems to like it, but to me it was just a bad bunch of movies...but i guess that comes from not liking anything sci-fi unless it has Vin Diesel in it...my bad!

actually i think it really all depends on what kind of science fiction it is to if i like it....I, Robot is considered sci-fi right? cause i like that one...and a few others but im not much into the sci-fi genre.

anyway, i conceed defeat on the Aliens front...if all of you think its a good set of movies then, yes aliens is good. on the whole. i still dont like them though lol

xXLadyFrostXx

Old 11-24-2006, 05:26 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via Yahoo to PhilnEdee
Alien-Aliens= Space Ship/Space Monsters....Sci-Fi...I enjoyed #1 and #2...
as for serious...TCM-the beginnings is recent and was a very hard/serious movie to me...and I thought the acting was top notch...
Old 11-25-2006, 08:40 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayer666 View Post
Oh yeah, and Jeepers Creepers was going great until they showed the stupid Creeper. Then it went downhill fast.
AMEN!!!!!!!
Old 11-25-2006, 09:28 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flayed One View Post
If they did get Tom Hanks, I wouldn't watch it. One of the most overrated actors in history, IMHO.
I completely agree with that. Forest Gump was one of the worst movies I've ever had the misfortune of seeing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flayed One View Post
@Slayer - Have you started a topic on the subject? I'm sure you would get some interesting, well thought out posts before the thread turns into sexual innuendo.
Good idea. I'll have to do that. Every thread eventually devolves into sexual innuendo around here, huh?
Old 11-26-2006, 02:17 PM
The Queen of Swords

Send a message via AIM to Haunted
As I was reading over this I started to wonder: The beginning scenes in Night of the Living Dead where Babs and Johnny are wondering in the graveyard... Johnny's a smartass, right, and then he starts picking on Babs, the whole "They're coming to get you Barbara" scene. That movie came out before I was born and I'm wondering, putting it to question: Was any of that supposed to be amusing, maybe in a dark sort of way?"

As for serious horror... I can't get into the the Saw stuff anymore, the gore shit is old hat. It doesn't give me the "uber creepy" vibe. I like films with a good creepy story. That's often hard to do, however. House on Haunted Hill was a great story, because of how Shirley Jackson wrote it. However it was not a good movie. I really got into The Ring. I thought it had a great story, it was a very creepy film.

@ Lady Frost- I know what you mean by sci-fi horror not being your thing, because hack'n'slash horror isn't mine unless it's is done superbly.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:55 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by noctuary View Post
For nearly an entire decade (the 90s) there was very little on the horror radar except for an endless cycle of self-aware teen slashers.
Finally! A perfect term with which to describe all the Scream and Last Summer films: self-aware teen slashers. You are certainly correct about there being a ton of these in the 90s.