Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-12-2005, 03:52 AM
The Dork Knight

Quote:
Originally posted by Hate_Breeder
John Travolta is my hero

you poor kid:)
Old 03-12-2005, 06:17 PM
Banned

Remakes are PG-13 corporate Scream movies made so teenyboppers can get together friday nights after school is out and talk in the theaters. No one ever actually watches them...and when you do ugh! you end up with Jessica Biels Texas Chainsaw Massacre.:mad:
Old 03-12-2005, 06:53 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Sedated_replica Send a message via Yahoo to Sedated_replica
Someone gives this man a hand!
Old 03-12-2005, 06:56 PM
The Dork Knight

Quote:
Originally posted by Wickerman
Remakes are PG-13 corporate Scream movies made so teenyboppers can get together friday nights after school is out and talk in the theaters. No one ever actually watches them...and when you do ugh! you end up with Jessica Biels Texas Chainsaw Massacre.:mad:

I think Scream would've been good if the MPAA wouldn't have made Craven edit the hell out of it. He had to take out and reshoot over 17 scenes.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:00 AM
Fear scented candle

Quote:
Originally posted by urgeok
ok here's a more constructive approach.

the forum is a cluttered mess.
its hard to get through enough as it is without 2 exact same threads being posted within hours of each other.
Then the threads get merged as they should - and some people will start ranting about how the mods have fucked up the world.

i dont think it takes too much common sense to take a little 5 minute peek around the forum to get a sense of whats going on before creating a thread.

it would be extremely helpful - especially now - since the forum has lately been turned into a circus for the developmentally delayed.
Thank you urge :)

And zwoti.

Laziness on your part does not make me an asshole for pointing it out. I actually got a kick out of the irony that you basically did what you were complaining about by not looking to see if a similar thread had already been started. '

BTW i am an asshole for many other reasons.

And that is basically what it comes down to, laziness. no one wants to stick their neck out and make something new fopr a change, it is easier to merge old conventions and ideas with what is currently thought of as cool. New ideas are hard to make, creativity is a much rarer gift than people think.

I hate what movies have become fo rthe most part too. One of the great pleaasures in life is going to a theater to see the opening of a movie you have been dying for fo rmonths. That almsot never happens anymore.

I would like to see more people getting off their asses and trying to create what they want to see rather than bitch about what they are handed on a regular basis.

I'm a writer, and i kill myself to create original works. I made one story that was derivative, but i advertise it as such, and im not exactly out trying to make it into a movie (plus, it has gotten rave reviews by everyone who has read it so far. "Father Dillon's Funeral" for the curious)

Austin is also a writer (a screenwriter), and from the hint he gave about the screenplay he wrote, it sounds original. i hope it sells, because i would see it.

I hope this pisses you off. i hope it gets your blood boiling, and you get off your ass and write something. it doesnt even have to be good, just original. TRY to make a difference, rather than sitting around impotently screaming at the screen because you hate what you are being fed, but refuse to turn it off or walk away.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:13 AM
Banned

i keep harkoning back to one point ...

consider the majority in the movie going demographic ...
they are young people who for the most part have not seen the origionals.

most of the people an this board are interested in horror enough to have seen everything - old and new - but if you take a look around you - you'll see that we are the minority.

Hollywood is a business where fortunes are made and lost faster than on the stock market.
Fim makers cannot as a rule afford to take risks so they follow profitable trends ... follow established formulas.

For every jaded film fan there are 1000 sheep who will flock to see anything new thats well marketed.

I dont blame Hollywood ... why would a company throw money aeway making films for a tiny minority ???

I'm not saying this is ideal, its very sad .. but realize where the blame should be laid, and appreciate even more the great films that were made despite the risks, or the good films that are clever and well made eneough to please both the drones and the 'elitists'
Old 03-14-2005, 05:16 AM
The Dork Knight

Quote:
Originally posted by Vodstok
Thank you urge :)

And zwoti.

Laziness on your part does not make me an asshole for pointing it out. I actually got a kick out of the irony that you basically did what you were complaining about by not looking to see if a similar thread had already been started. '

BTW i am an asshole for many other reasons.

And that is basically what it comes down to, laziness. no one wants to stick their neck out and make something new fopr a change, it is easier to merge old conventions and ideas with what is currently thought of as cool. New ideas are hard to make, creativity is a much rarer gift than people think.

I hate what movies have become fo rthe most part too. One of the great pleaasures in life is going to a theater to see the opening of a movie you have been dying for fo rmonths. That almsot never happens anymore.

I would like to see more people getting off their asses and trying to create what they want to see rather than bitch about what they are handed on a regular basis.

I'm a writer, and i kill myself to create original works. I made one story that was derivative, but i advertise it as such, and im not exactly out trying to make it into a movie (plus, it has gotten rave reviews by everyone who has read it so far. "Father Dillon's Funeral" for the curious)

Austin is also a writer (a screenwriter), and from the hint he gave about the screenplay he wrote, it sounds original. i hope it sells, because i would see it.

I hope this pisses you off. i hope it gets your blood boiling, and you get off your ass and write something. it doesnt even have to be good, just original. TRY to make a difference, rather than sitting around impotently screaming at the screen because you hate what you are being fed, but refuse to turn it off or walk away.
what he said

and thanks for the compliment:D
Old 03-14-2005, 05:19 AM
Fear scented candle

I had said something similar at one point, i cant remember where though. Without the money and demand, hollywood would not be making these movies.

I am doing my tiny part, i will not go to the theater and see a movie anymore unless it looks above all possible disappointment, which is why the last movie i saw in atheater was the Grudge.

I'll keep my money and see the movie through Netflix, where i pay less than a dollar for the damn thing.

Meanwhile, i bust my ass trying to create stories that are actually scary. I have a pretty good track record so far.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:27 AM
The Dork Knight

Quote:
Originally posted by Vodstok

Meanwhile, i bust my ass trying to create stories that are actually scary. I have a pretty good track record so far.

are people actually scared by movies anymore?

I haven't been scared by a movie since I was 7, and most of my friends aren't scared by anything either(movies that is). I try but I don't think people are frightened by films anymore.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:32 AM
Fear scented candle

I think setting has a lot to do with it. i dont think dog soldiers is particularly frightnening, but the first time i saw it, my wife and i were watching it in bed at night, with the window wide open, with all of the lights off, when the werewolf crawled in through the window, i looked at ours and said "fuck this, im kinda cold..." and closed it.

Alfred Hitchcock insisted that theater owners play along with his little pranks that he wanted to spring on the audience to create more impact. I think the horror genre would be well served if they still did things liek that.

I bet if theaters were willing to play ball, they would increase their profits exponentially. Think about it, if the same horror movie was paying at 2 places, and one of them you Knew was going to pull some weird shit during the movie, whihc would you go to?

i think many casual horror fans would become hardcore with that kind of experience.