Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Books & Fiction Writing
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-08-2015, 01:44 PM
Evil Dead

The Boss in the Wall

A comment Repo'd made, made me think about posting where my user name came from.

The Boss in the Wall: A Treatise on the House Devil was written by Avram Davidson based on a dream he had. Davidson primarily does sci-fi/fantastical fiction. The Boss in the Wall was unfinished due to the death of Davidson. His ex wife finished out, her efforts have not tainted the story. I first read it in a horror anthology about a decade ago. I was incredibly impressed. It was particularly good that I read it in an anthology and not the single novella version because the cover of the book does not describe the atmosphere of the book and the creature on the front only very remotely displays the things described in the book.
The Boss in the Wall is not written like most novels/novellas. Instead it is a fictional anthropological search for The Boss in the Wall. The narrative is between a father who's daughter ceases to speak after what happens in their home and a group of people searching for information on these things. The Boss in the Wall is only one of the names associated with these 'things.' Each theory has a story to them and a time and place in history. Avram Davidson has written a non-fictional book theorizing where a lot of myths came from using his insanely vast knowledge. Maybe another also? Anyway that theme is used in The Boss in the Wall, but the theorizing is of course about a myth only existing in the book.

If you can find it read this story.
An original copy of the novella goes for 90 dollars, apparently, on amazon.
BUT
You can buy the anthology I originally read it in for 5 bucks or so:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Mammoth-Bo.../dp/0786706902

If you do want the anthology I encourage you to buy it, for a bit more, from Alibris since its not owned by amazon. :) :

http://www.alibris.com/The-Mammoth-B...2127?matches=8
Old 08-10-2015, 03:03 AM
Horror > Everything

I have to admit, I have wondered how you chose your moniker. As a confirmed book worm I am happy to know The Boss In the Wall has a literary origin.