Old 01-17-2022, 10:19 AM
Licking

A Bucket of Blood (1959) Dick Miller murders Bert Convey and makes him a statue. I can never look away from this turd. Saw this on 'Halloween Harvey's Festival of Fear' on the Retro TV network.
Old 01-21-2022, 02:53 AM
Evil Dead

DIAL 1119 (1950). Pretty good noir of a Disturbed Military Veteran who returns to a Town, but with no Good intentions. Marshall Thompson (FIEND WITHOUT A FACE, CULT OF THE COBRA, IT! THE TERROR BEYOND SPACE and TV's DAKTARI) is effective as the loose Cannon, reminding Me very much of Howard Unruh, the NJ vet who went on a shooting spree in his neighborhood for no discernible reason. ***
Old 01-27-2022, 12:06 AM
Evil Dead

THE HAUNTED PALACE (1963). This Roger Corman/Vincent Price "Poe Picture" doesn't seem to be as well known as some of the others They made, but it's really well worth Your time, although there's a lot more Lovecraft here than Edgar. Vincent with his wife (Debra Paget, very lovely and appealing in her last film) arrive in a town to take possession of an old Family home and given the usual hostile greeting, as VP's ancestor had been up to less than honorable practices.
Some good atmosphere in THP and a fine performance from Lon Chaney Jr-his first appearance is a Pip!- with extra support from Elisha Cook Jr, who meets a less than happy end, as He always seemed to. ***1/2
Old 01-27-2022, 01:06 PM
Scares Little Kids

Smile

The Deadly Bees (1966)
Very nice music.
The ending is too straightforward according to my taste.
Enjoyable movie.
Old 01-30-2022, 02:01 AM
Evil Dead

THE MUMMY'S SHROUD (1967). Hammer film covers the normal Mummy backstory and the bad fate awaiting those who step into the tomb, but I found TMS has aged better than when I saw it as a teen. Mummy is kind of cheesy in a good way (cool demise too) and some decent acting, particularly John Phillips (His "Preston" is such an asshole) and Michael Ripper who really gives it 110%, one of the better performances I've seen from him. ***
Old 02-06-2022, 01:46 AM
Evil Dead

THE RAVEN (1935)
Old 02-08-2022, 05:02 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
THE RAVEN (1935)
"The film is based on Edgar Allan Poe's 1845 homonymous poem, featuring Lugosi as a Poe-obsessed mad surgeon with a torture chamber in his basement and Karloff as a fugitive murderer on the run from the police."

This has the most bizarre description. I've never seen it. So what'd you think? Did you go outside in lay in the street after seeing it?

Old 02-09-2022, 01:37 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
"The film is based on Edgar Allan Poe's 1845 homonymous poem, featuring Lugosi as a Poe-obsessed mad surgeon with a torture chamber in his basement and Karloff as a fugitive murderer on the run from the police."

This has the most bizarre description. I've never seen it. So what'd you think? Did you go outside in lay in the street after seeing it?
I DID have thoughts of building my own Torture chamber in my basement for "deserving" types, especially with the 5 acres.

Do Yourself a favor, Sculpt...check this out pronto. Very enjoyable and Bela is fantastic although He gets a little carried away in parts.

ADVENTURES OF SHERLOCK HOLMES (1939). Second film in the series is wonderful with such attention to Gothic detail and top performances. What I like about this particularly is the relationship between Holmes and Watson. The Good Doctor isn't quite as clueless as in later films and quite amusing in the final scene. Also, his expressions after He's supposed to tail a suspect; He's morose, but after a pat on the arm, how He cheers up! A good showing of the friendship between the two.
Ida Lupino and Alan Marshall do alright and a top turn by George Zucco as Moriarty...GZ gets some good lines in here and probably my favorite characterization of the evil Professor. ****1/2
Old 02-11-2022, 02:07 AM
Evil Dead

KONGA (1961). The BATMAN films aside, I think Michael Gough was born to play shits in films and You would have to look hard to find a bigger shit than Dr Dekkar, who is as unpleasant as can be. He returns from an African trip with a chimpanzee. and some carnivorous plants. While working on his theories, He gets the plants to grow, stall his Asst-Girlfriend with marriage plans, turn Konga into a Gorilla, plots to remove "enemies" and even has the time to letch after one of his students!

Story is pretty wacky, as You may have guessed, but so looney that it's enjoyable. Sadly, the finale seriously drags the story down, but You still might get a kick out of it. ***
Old 02-18-2022, 01:30 AM
Evil Dead

LYDIA BAILEY (1952). Decent costume drama as an American lawyer travels to Haiti with a legal document for the title character to sign and finds himself involved in the 1802 insurrection against France. Anne Francis, a few years before FORBIDDEN PLANET, doesn't really impress as Lydia...she comes off as the weak link in here, especially compared to William "BLACULA" Marshall in his film debut. Good performance as "King Dick" and that wonderful voice . ***