Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > True Crime
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-21-2005, 01:43 AM
Umbra Asylum

Send a message via Yahoo to bloodrayne
Another 'Violent Video Game' Targetted For Banning, Called 'MUCH Worse Than GTA'

Violent Game Furor

You may have thought "Grand Theft Auto" was the last word in video game violence.
Think again.

The latest in shoot-'em-up video game technology, "25 to Life," allows players to attack police with an arsenal of Molotov cocktails, broken bottles and baseball bats. When weapons fail, players make strategic moves using civilians as human shields.

The game even lets players choose gang colors and create personalized graffiti tags.

"It's the worst in a series of violent and gruesome games that lower the common denominator of decency," said Sen. Chuck Schumer, who is trying to block the game from hitting stores in September.

The game, created by the British company Eidos, is similar to the best-selling "Grand Theft Auto" series, currently in its fifth incarnation: "San Andreas."

"25 to Life" makes "other controversial games like 'Grand Theft Auto' look like 'Romper Room,'" Schumer said.

Schumer called on PlayStation manufacturer Sony and Xbox maker Microsoft to cancel their licensing agreements with Eidos. The senator also urged stores and retailers not to stock the game.

Patrick Lynch, president of the Patrolman's Benevolent Association, slammed "25 to Life" for its cavalier treatment of murder.

"It's outrageous that a company like this would try to desensitize our children," Lynch said.

The game, he said, is likely to "produce cowards that will hide behind a gun."

Representatives from Sony and Microsoft could not be reached for comment yesterday.

Young gamers browsing at GameSpot on Broadway at 33rd St. said the violence and gangster features would make "25 to Life" a hot buy.

"It's like ghetto-ish, I like that," said Bronx seventh-grader Jesus Martinez, 13.

Brooklyn seventh-grader Nashalie Ledesma said she would try the game "just for the fun of it, to see how it is, explore the violence."

"It's just a game," said Ledesma, 12. "It's not like I'm gonna do it in real life. I don't have the guts to do it."

But concerned mom Tori Cage, who was shopping with her 9-year-old son, Dquan, said the game should never hit store shelves.

"They should ban them totally," said Cage, 27, of Maywood, N.J.

My Karma ran over my Dogma

God WAS my co-pilot...But, we crashed in the mountains and...I had to eat him

I'm suffocating in what's become of me...
The rancid remains of what I used to be
Old 06-21-2005, 03:49 AM
Fear scented candle

Dont let your kid play it, it is rated "MA" for a fucking reason.

Stupid assholes.

"Ban video games, movies and tv! They arent raising our kids right!":rolleyes:

See? THIS is why i smile whenever i think of the world being overtaken by zombies.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:04 AM
Umbra Asylum

Send a message via Yahoo to bloodrayne
I honestly believe that these types of news stories and all of the protesting, greatly boosts the sales of these games...I don't think that they could PAY someone enough to do what this Senator is doing for them, for free... :rolleyes:

I know many people who weren't the least bit interested in 'Manhunt' until the controversy hit...Then they had to buy it to find out what all the fuss was about...

As you read this story...Line for line...Tell me that it doesn't sound like an awesome advertisement to sell this game...

Ad execs should pay attention to what's happening here...Maybe we would see ads like, "Please do not purchase our product because it will mess you up!...It's too intense...We don't think the general public can handle it!"...I guarantee that would produce sales...

ALSO...No one in my house had even HEARD about this new game...Until this story...

My Karma ran over my Dogma

God WAS my co-pilot...But, we crashed in the mountains and...I had to eat him

I'm suffocating in what's become of me...
The rancid remains of what I used to be
Old 06-21-2005, 04:46 AM
Fear scented candle

same here, and i have had a subscription to PC Gamer for going on 8 years...
Old 06-21-2005, 08:23 AM
Banned

it's still a pretty sad statement that there is a market for this crap..

i'm not a fan of censorship ... but i'm not a fan of the show of stupidity on the other side of this coin either..
Old 06-21-2005, 08:52 AM
zipperface

Send a message via AIM to HappyCamper Send a message via Yahoo to HappyCamper
I don't know about you, but I think in away violent video games are good, they allow (me, at least, and I'm sure many others) to vent our frustrations in a violent way, with out actually being violent. And the games that are rated MA, kids shouldn't be playing anyway. People don't seem to understand that these games are made for ADULTS. if you're a parent who lets your kid play an MA game, you're a fucking retard
Just listen to this sentence and tell me what it means. I haven't seen Evil Dead II yet? Would you get the impression that i wanted to see it? Oh, well you couldn't have been dying to see it or else you would have already gone. So in your opinion would I definitely see it?
How the fuck should I know probably!
Why? Because it's a brilliant film, it's so funny, and the soundtrack kicks fucking ass!
Old 06-21-2005, 09:18 AM
Fear scented candle

Exactly. i have a cousin 10 year syounger than me who likes a lot of the same game si do. We would compare notes about playing half-life and quake, but when Soldier of Fortune came out, his parents flat out said no.

They actually checked the game out before purchasing it, saw it was MA, looked into WHY it was MA, and said he couldnt have it. End of story.

The only time it doesnt work is if the kid is sneaky and/or the parents are dumb.

My kids will be screwed. I know more about computers than anyone else i know, so it's not liek they will be slipping anything by me. Any tricks they may figure out, i will already have figured out and made a way around it.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:32 AM
..its only a movie...

Why is this in the true crime section, shouldnt this be in video games, Women I tell yeah:p
Anyways I dont know about this game, as in Im weery if its gonna be good or not. Eidos doesnt exactly make great games....or good for that matter. But whats up with all the kids saying they wanna play it, Store should just start enforcing the ESPR ratings then we wouldnt have so many retarded people complaining. But anyways I got to go get some chilli dogs.

As I was going up the stairs, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish I wish he'd go away .
Old 06-21-2005, 09:33 AM
The Dork Knight

Re: Another 'Violent Video Game' Targetted For Banning, Called 'MUCH Worse Than GTA'

Quote:
Originally posted by bloodrayne

"It's like ghetto-ish, I like that," said Bronx seventh-grader Jesus Martinez, 13.

If Jesus doesn't mind why should we:D , I bet at times it appears that I'm actually trying to make lame jokes but I'm not, I'm just lame but anyway....

I don't really have a problem with the games as long as adults play them. They have a mature rating which means if kids play them it's because irresponsible parents buy it for them.

And I don't know about anybody else but I've never bought that bullshit about people going out and killing then later blaming it on video games,movies or music. There's no way you're going to convince me that you sat down played a game or watched a movie that someone was shot,stabbed ect. and figured it must be ok for you to go out and do it.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:34 AM
Living Dead

That's probably all Senators are good for - advertising violent video games. :D