Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum

Old 07-19-2018, 04:51 PM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
Yes, to me Coke has much more flavor, and Pepsi is probably sweeter, which I don't want. I used to enjoy Pepsi, but not anymore. In fact if I'm in the mood for a Coke at a restaurant, and they only have Pepsi, I'll order water instead.

I see Coke's recipe is a strictly guarded secret. Wiki reads, "The primary taste of Coca-Cola is thought to come from vanilla and cinnamon, with trace amounts of essential oils, and spices such as nutmeg."
I always detected what I think are traces of cherry in the flavor too.

Anyways I doubt that they use cocaine as an ingredient these days but they most likely did when it was first invented. Cocaine was easily obtainable back in the 1800's and I believe that you could even buy it in pharmacies. Like I've said before back in those days they didn't have laws to regulate what people could buy or what went into consumer products like they do now.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:05 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvablePsycho View Post
I always detected what I think are traces of cherry in the flavor too.

Anyways I doubt that they use cocaine as an ingredient these days but they most likely did when it was first invented. Cocaine was easily obtainable back in the 1800's and I believe that you could even buy it in pharmacies. Like I've said before back in those days they didn't have laws to regulate what people could buy or what went into consumer products like they do now.
It's interesting that it used to have cocaine. I wonder if people actually noticed anything drinking the old cocaine Coke? It had caffeine, like it does today, maybe drinking trace cocaine didn't really amount to anything. Couldn't tell ya.

Old 07-21-2018, 03:06 AM
That fucking Guy...

Quote:
What would constitute a real COLA to you?
Well...I guess whether or not it's a flavour derived, or the actual addition of the kola nut/extract itself I am not entirely sure.

Without seeing the actual ingredients and process - There's just this flavour that most "classic" Colas have, like the ones that say stuff like "original" or "traditional", and also some of the cheaper brands (some, not all.) all seem to share a certain flavour.
To me, this is what I've come to associate with the flavour of Cola.

Both of the "big two" are fairly devoid of this flavour, whatever it may be.
Old 07-21-2018, 02:26 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheebacheeba View Post
Well...I guess whether or not it's a flavour derived, or the actual addition of the kola nut/extract itself I am not entirely sure.

Without seeing the actual ingredients and process - There's just this flavour that most "classic" Colas have, like the ones that say stuff like "original" or "traditional", and also some of the cheaper brands (some, not all.) all seem to share a certain flavour.
To me, this is what I've come to associate with the flavour of Cola.

Both of the "big two" are fairly devoid of this flavour, whatever it may be.
Ok, I got ya, I know what you mean. I've tried about 10-15 colas, the big brands and cheap ones. There is a "cola" taste.

What's really funny to me is, now, after all these years, because of this thread, I'm only now discoving that "cola" taste I thought was specifically from the kola/cola nut was not... it's really some combo of vanilla, cinnamon, caffeine, nutmeg, citrus, carmel and cornsurup. Cola is the Long Island Ice Tea of the softdrink world.

Last edited by Sculpt; 07-21-2018 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:44 PM
Immortal horror fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheebacheeba View Post
While I actually prefer the flavour of Pepsi...strangely enough I usually grab a Coke on autopilot.

To be honest neither of them are great representations of COLA.
"Cheap" brands taste far closer to the mark.
A while ago I found a few companies that sold I think more natural sodas. I guess with pure sugar or without the stuff in popular stuff like Coke and Pepsi. I wish I could remember the names of the companies but they make natural creme sodas, colas, and stuff like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvablePsycho View Post
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/cocaine-coca-cola/

https://amp-livescience-com.cdn.ampp...rom%20%251%24s

According to these two websites it's true. Plus this was in the 1800's and they didn't exactly have the kind of laws to regulate what went into products like we do now.
Turns out I guess it is true as it's on wiki as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
Yes, to me Coke has much more flavor, and Pepsi is probably sweeter, which I don't want. I used to enjoy Pepsi, but not anymore. In fact if I'm in the mood for a Coke at a restaurant, and they only have Pepsi, I'll order water instead.

I see Coke's recipe is a strictly guarded secret. Wiki reads, "The primary taste of Coca-Cola is thought to come from vanilla and cinnamon, with trace amounts of essential oils, and spices such as nutmeg."
Strange as when I recall the taste of coke vs pepsi, I would remember those flavors in pepsi more than coke. Because coke was just too strong. Maybe I needed to try the shake trick.

Tags
battle, coke, drinks, horror, pepsi