Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Foreign Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-14-2008, 04:45 PM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smackytherabbit View Post
We do =)
OK! OK! I think you've SOLD me. :p

Quote:
To answer this myself (sorry DP).. The Grudge 2 is not a remake of Ju-on 2: the grudge. Grudge 2 (American) was a stand alone. Not a remake. Ju-On 2 is nothing great, but leaps better than the American counterpart. Also so you know.... The Grudge 3 coming out soon is a remake of Ju-On 2.
Oooo. I think you might've just sold me on this, too... To tell you the truth, while I didn't enjoy The Grudge 2, I really enjoyed The Grudge (moreso than Ju-On)... But I'll definitely check out Ju-On 2.

Quote:
I personally believe that its the most overrated Asian horror movie and not a whole lot better than the remake. But yea... id give the remake a 5 of 10 and the original a 6 of 10.
Won't waste my time, then. :)

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 01-14-2008, 10:42 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via ICQ to Smackytherabbit
If you really want frightening check out Shutter

That is one of the very very very few movies that can actually scare me.

As i said before, its really nothing new to the genera but holy hell it does its job well.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:15 PM
HDC Idol

So. I just watched Shutter (thank you Bloody Asia for the delightfully free movies).

And you're right; it definitely does fright extremely well. Builds tension. Builds atmosphere. And, oddly enough, I liked the very end of it as well. Nothing new, but the haunting definitely made me jump and cower a few times.

So I've been watching a TON of ghost stories... I know that you've all recommended some great films, but what is the sub-genre under Asian Horror that they fall under? Slasher? Torture? I'm looking for something that's a little more (maybe not more... different) than just the iconic Onryo.

The Ichi the Killer movies interest me, though those seem to fit under the sub-category of revenge... Am I wrong?

What other sub-genres do Asian directors do well aside from ghosts and giant monster movies? I am asking straight out because there is an incredibly cultural rift and I want to find out more. I figure we have some resident experts here.

P.S. I forgot to mention that I FINALLY saw The Eye (the original). And it was... Ok. I think that I was a little disappointed just because I had REALLY high expectations (it being a fairly iconic film). I thought that the concept was great, there were some truly creepy moments, but the end was a little wishy washy for me.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:41 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
So I've been watching a TON of ghost stories... I know that you've all recommended some great films, but what is the sub-genre under Asian Horror that they fall under? Slasher? Torture? I'm looking for something that's a little more (maybe not more... different) than just the iconic Onryo.

The Ichi the Killer movies interest me, though those seem to fit under the sub-category of revenge... Am I wrong?

What other sub-genres do Asian directors do well aside from ghosts and giant monster movies? I am asking straight out because there is an incredibly cultural rift and I want to find out more. I figure we have some resident experts here.
Ichi is pretty much a revenge flick. But its a Miike movie and they are always so much more then you expect. None of his movies are normal.

The Ghost movies would probably just go under horror. I mean if you really really really wanted to find a sub for them i'd call them supernatural horror.

As far as the rest of the sub genera thing goes.. i really dont know. They seem to have the same as us but different ones are more popular and others are done better. The Slasher sub genera is almost non existent but you will find much better thrillers and torture (movies that dont rely on just torture to sell them, ala saw, hostel, ect).

Japan is home to the really screwy movies. Miike is a perfect example of this. Hellevator, Dead or Alive ect.
They do good horror but in my opinion they are not the best.

For me Korea is the best though.
Their horror is always very graphic with great twists and story. The execution puts most Hollywood movies to shame and if you like Thriller movies this is definitely the way to go.
Koreans do the best serial killer movies, hands down.
Memories of murder, voice of murder, H, Black House.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:46 AM
boo

cheers Smacky I will be checking out those Korean movies

three pages in and I can't belive nobody's mentioned The Ring (original of course) this movie got me into Asian horror
classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by urgeok2 View Post
my buddy said it was like getting hit in the eyes with licorice whips for 90 minutes
Old 02-27-2008, 10:59 AM
Evil Puppy

Check out 2LDK if I haven't mentioned it before. It's part of the Duel Project which pit 2LDK directed by Yukihiko Tsutsumi against Aragami: The Raging God of Battle by Ryuhei Kitamura (the director of "Versus"). Both movies are good but 2LDK is the superior film in my opinion (I think it won by one vote in the "duel"). It's a short, bloody, funny little flick that really satisfies.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:28 PM
GoreVisioN23

Japanese Horror

I think Takashi Miike can satisfied you
Try:
Ichi The Killer
Imprint

Chan-Wook Park is awsome too
Vengeance trilogy
Oldboy
Sympathy for mister vengeance
Lady Vengeance

Try The 3 Extremes the fisrt with takashi
Old 03-03-2008, 05:06 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawfoot View Post
three pages in and I can't belive nobody's mentioned The Ring (original of course) this movie got me into Asian horror
classic
Its probably because it seems like she may have seen it already.
Plus, IMO its not that good. With all the Asian horror movies ive seen it would be one of the last i would recommend.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:02 PM
mostly ghostly?

definitely check out jigoku (aka "hell") (1960).

there's no way i could call this one "j-horror," as that would lump it in with totally different types of films. this one is a pretty horrifying look into, well, hell. it might start off a little slow, but by the end that will be immaterial, as the finale packs quite a punch. you can really see the influence on modern japanese horror films too.

and it just so happens to be on netflix.

http://criterion.com/asp/release.asp?id=352 for more info.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:59 PM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoreVisioN23 View Post
I think Takashi Miike can satisfied you
Try:
Ichi The Killer
Imprint
Ooo. Yes I will check him out. I definitely found The Box to be the creepiest of all three of those films. I also thought that the direction was absolutely stunning. I was unaware that he did Ichi: The Killer.

Question (and this is showing my complete and utter Asian Horror ignorance): Is Ichi The Killer part one of a Trilogy? Or is it autonomous? Maybe I'm thinking of Oldboy? Oldbly is part I of a Trilogy, right? Is that part of the "Vengeance" Trilogy?

And, wow, doing a preliminary Miike search I see that he also did Audition and Visitor Q. While I have yet to see Visitor Q I believe that his direction of Audition and The Box has definitely piqued my interest. Q and Ichi are definitetly moving up on the Netflix queue (after Fulci and a bunch of random indie horror films that the boyfriend found and added).

Imprint, however, was not Netflix-able. I'll have to watch it... by other means.

And thanks for pulling out Chan-Wook Park's movies. I thought that his direction and eye for gore were absolutely stunning in Three Extremes. That just really shows that I need to see Oldboy.

Des - You definitely have good taste in movies. I will check those out as well.

F - Jigoku sounds fantastic. The idea of a portrayal of Hell is both interesting, fascinating, and terrifying to me. It is being bumped up into position #5 (behind Don't Torture a Duckling, A Lizard in Woman's Skin, Ichi the Killer, and Visitor Q).

So. Back to Shutter. I'm sure that by now you've all seen the previews for Shutter (the American remake). It's rated PG-13 and stars Joshua Jackson.

Oh, Chrono is not pleased. Thoughts?

At least if America is going to emulate cinema, I think that they're definitely going after the right genre - I think that Asian horror is some of the most cleanly directed and innovative horror that I've ever seen... And I'm just scratching the surface.