Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Books & Fiction Writing
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-10-2012, 04:31 PM
Demon from Ago

I liken A Dark Matter very much to Machen or Lovecraft so I guess it is more weird fiction than anything.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:09 PM
Scares Little Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Gray View Post
I liken A Dark Matter very much to Machen or Lovecraft so I guess it is more weird fiction than anything.
There are elements of it that are horrific. but the format the story is told in makes it difficult to make the reader feel scared for the characters as...

SPOILERS

The horrific event has already happened and the whole book is the protagonist trying to figure out what happened.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:40 PM
Demon from Ago

I can agree with that, it is told mostly in flashbacks.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:00 PM
Banned

iv got dark matter sitting in my collection yet to be read,doesnt sound that appealing soo far,and after night room im a bit put off straub as that would only be the second book i would have read of his,i was also given the hellfire club which sounds more interesting
Old 01-11-2012, 08:42 PM
Demon from Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard of gore View Post
iv got dark matter sitting in my collection yet to be read,doesnt sound that appealing soo far,and after night room im a bit put off straub as that would only be the second book i would have read of his,i was also given the hellfire club which sounds more interesting
All I can say to you is don't let one bad book deter you, Straub is an excellent writer so don't give up on him. I haven't read Hellfire Club yet so I can't say one way or another on it.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
All I can say to you is don't let one bad book deter you, Straub is an excellent writer so don't give up on him. I haven't read Hellfire Club yet so I can't say one way or another on it.
Dont worry ill end up reading both,i mean its not like every s.king book was amazing.
straight after the ramsey cambpell book im about to start,oh and the neil gaiman iv got lined up after that,then will get onto it
Old 01-12-2012, 07:18 AM
Demon from Ago

I've only read to Campbell books, The Face That Must Die and Coldprint. Face was cool, all from the killer's perspective. Coldprint was a great piece of the Cthulhu Mythos. Got any suggestions of more Campbell books, I do own Incarnate, it looks interesting.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
I've only read to Campbell books, The Face That Must Die and Coldprint. Face was cool, all from the killer's perspective. Coldprint was a great piece of the Cthulhu Mythos. Got any suggestions of more Campbell books, I do own Incarnate, it looks interesting.
this will be my first campell full novel the hungry moon
Old 01-17-2012, 04:28 PM
Dark Fiction Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to bobbyshane Send a message via Yahoo to bobbyshane
Bob Gray, Hellfire Club is amazing. Not really horror at all, more like suspense/mystery, but by far one of the BEST BOOKS I've ever read!

"Part Underworld, part Escape From New York, Shining in Crimson is genuinely frightening, genuinely thrilling, but above all, first-rate storytelling. I'm a Robert S. Wilson fan from now on!"--Joe McKinney, Bram Stoker Award-winning author of Flesh Eaters and Apocalypse of the Dead
Old 01-17-2012, 05:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyshane View Post
Bob Gray, Hellfire Club is amazing. Not really horror at all, more like suspense/mystery, but by far one of the BEST BOOKS I've ever read!
that good a,looking forward to reading it

really enjoying hungrymoon so far