Old 01-29-2007, 07:24 AM
Evil Puppy

I think Intesity and Velocity were pretty good ones that haven't been mentioned. I'm not a huge fan but the wife likes his work a lot. Novelists... :rolleyes:

I think he's changing and improving. Although I did love the Family Guy where they hit somebody, was afraid it had been Steven King, but when they found out it was Koontz they backed over him and ran him over one more time.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:32 AM
Fear scented candle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despare View Post
I think Intesity and Velocity were pretty good ones that haven't been mentioned. I'm not a huge fan but the wife likes his work a lot. Novelists... :rolleyes:

I think he's changing and improving. Although I did love the Family Guy where they hit somebody, was afraid it had been Steven King, but when they found out it was Koontz they backed over him and ran him over one more time.
That was brian. i laughed my ass off when i saw that, i have always heard Koontz described as the "poor man's steven king".

I was actually heavily influenced by koontz when i first started writing seriously. Bearwood started off being influenced by him, but then i saw Se7en, and that changed everything. I started growing bored with Koontz, and began just rereading the stuff i liked.

needkless to say, pretty much everythigni started back in my "Koontz" days has long since been scrapped and never revisited.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:14 AM
Banned

One of the ones that I have been intrigued by has been "Strangers". does anyone have any opinions of this book. I may actually read this one soon if I hear anything good about it.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:14 PM
Evil Dead

I agree about Tick Tock. The ending was very abrupt but I did enjoy the humour, especially mother Phan. I have friends with mothers like that. Velocity was ok but I think he took the easy way out for the ending. I would have preferred a resolution where the main character was the killer (second personality sort of thing). I never expect brilliant literature with Koontz. You always know where it's going but can be fun getting there.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:31 PM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonique View Post
I agree about Tick Tock. The ending was very abrupt but I did enjoy the humour, especially mother Phan. I have friends with mothers like that. Velocity was ok but I think he took the easy way out for the ending. I would have preferred a resolution where the main character was the killer (second personality sort of thing). I never expect brilliant literature with Koontz. You always know where it's going but can be fun getting there.
*SPOILERS*

I think the split personality thing with Velocity would have been the easy way out AND left too many plot holes ala High Tension. I enjoyed the teamwork aspect of the killers. The artist teaching his student how's it's done. I think if anything he could have expounded on their relationship and gave more depth to their characters.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:41 PM
Evil is Better

So i didnt take the time to read through this because i don't have the time right now but i recently read Tick Tock and really didnt like it but i'm willing to give Koontz another try especially since i know that it wasnt his typical thing and it was mixed with screwball comedy which i really dont like.

Anyway i was just wondering what would be a good book of his to read next? I've almost read all of Stephen King's books and i want to get invested in another author who has a lot of books so i wanna read a good one of his that will get me hooked on him.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:55 AM
From The Beyond

I haven't read all his stuff but I'll recommend Lightning everyone seems to really enjoy that one.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:26 PM
Evil is Better

Cool thanks, ill check that one out
Old 07-24-2011, 01:51 AM
Scream for your life

The only thing I can remotely use to describe him is 'Meh'. He's very creative, just read the plots on the back of some of his books and you'll be very intrigued, and has a lot of talent in descriptiveness and wit when writing.

The problem generally arises in key parts of his stories. Usually there's too much of this and a lack of that which flaws his writings. Endings can be his let down at times, or at least for me (seriously, What The Night Knows' ending was so out there. As in...out there). Plot holes and loose ends are also very common.

Don't get me wrong, he's still written a lot of very good stuff, but like Master said, 'I don't think he is as good as his sales numbers show'.
7 - 8 - Better stay up late,
9- 10 - Never sleep again...