Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Books & Fiction Writing
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-14-2007, 06:51 PM
Silent but Deadly

Harry Potter

yes, i am aware that this in not horror.

but, am i the only Harry Potter geek in here.
anyone else anticipating the last book.
bought it ahead.

i'm just kind of bored and want to know what you guys think (please no Harry Pothead jokes, i get them enough from my stepdad) about the books, movies, whatever.
I cannot prepare for that which I cannot foresee; therefore, forgive me should I appear constantly unsettled by your behavior. The only patterns I base my life on are yours, and the routine which I derive from your behavior is only as solid as your adherence to your own behavioral patterns. If I cannot understand you, how can I live for you?

What does a blind, deaf, quadriplegic baby get for Christmas?
*Cancer*

Cure for overpopulation = Bubonic Plague
Old 07-14-2007, 07:05 PM
Tonight's the nght.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorobsessed View Post

bought it ahead.

i'm just kind of bored and want to know what you guys think (please no Harry Pothead jokes, i get them enough from my stepdad) about the books, movies, whatever.
It will be great.It's already the highest selling book of all time.It's not even out yet.I bought mine in advance too.I go to the bookstore i reserved at thursday at 9,and i have to wait till 12 am to get mine.I hope Harry isn't a horrux but i have a feeling he'll have to do something drastic.I really hope Ron dies though.:)
Old 07-15-2007, 12:11 AM
Alien life form

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorobsessed View Post

bought it ahead.

I'm a huge fan too, so dont worry about it. And although not classed as horror genre, the books are getting *darker* as time goes on. Murder and the like ensues -and for potentially children's fiction, the storyline is certainly getting quite graphic!!

I pre-booked Deathly Hallows in January - time has flown, thank goodness! :p

EXPELLIARMUS!! :D
Old 07-15-2007, 09:09 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via MSN to jenna26
At 28 years old, I'm a fan and I admit it without shame.....;) The books show great imagination. And I am definitely looking forward to the last book.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:41 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
I like Harry Potter, but I'm far from a rabid fan. I have the sixth book, but I haven't got around to reading it...I plan to check out the new movie to refresh my memory then read the sixth book so I can hit up Deathly Hollows as soon as I can.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:13 PM
Tonight's the nght.

I got it last night,stood in line 3 hours to get it.That's when the party before took place.The person that reserved the book for me said it was thursday,she got her days mixed up.It's an awsome book so far.It will be hard for hollywood to film though.I hope everyone that get's it isn't dissapointed.I know horrorobsessed will love it.

Wooooooooooooooo.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:17 PM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante'sInferno View Post
It's already the highest selling book of all time.
Might want to check your facts there.

Anyway, question for you Harry Potter readers. The last few movies have looked pretty interesting, but do they do enough justice to the books? I don't want to have to start from the beginning and read through eight books (especially when I'm already reading others) if the movies tell the story well enough. Keep in mind I don't care if they don't show enough Quiddich (sp?).
Old 07-21-2007, 08:25 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despare
Anyway, question for you Harry Potter readers. The last few movies have looked pretty interesting, but do they do enough justice to the books? I don't want to have to start from the beginning and read through eight books (especially when I'm already reading others) if the movies tell the story well enough. Keep in mind I don't care if they don't show enough Quiddich (sp?).
Actually, as far as books that have been turned into films go, the Harry Potter movies follow the books closely enough that, if you choose, you can skip ahead to the last couple of books if you've seen the films. The first 3 books, in particular, are not too long and straightforward reads....so you won't miss much skipping them and starting with book 4 or 5 (the books start getting deeper....and longer).
Old 07-25-2007, 08:45 AM
Tenant

I got my copy of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows at midnight last Friday. I just finished it.

NO SPOILERS HERE

I can say, enthusiastically and earnestly, that it is the single most thrilling, whole-hearted, beautiful thing I have ever read. This seventh book is an event for the ages, whether you be a total book geek or the dryest piece of grass in the yard. Unbelievable. Actually, magical.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:21 AM
Sweeeeeeeet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unaboner3000 View Post
Actually, as far as books that have been turned into films go, the Harry Potter movies follow the books closely enough that, if you choose, you can skip ahead to the last couple of books if you've seen the films. The first 3 books, in particular, are not too long and straightforward reads....so you won't miss much skipping them and starting with book 4 or 5 (the books start getting deeper....and longer).
I'd disagree there, in my opinion to really enjoy the Harry Potter books you have to read all the Harry Potter books. It would be okay to just watch the films and skip ahead to the last books, you'd get the general and main storyline anyway but you would miss all the smaller storylines, certain characters and the small details that makes Harry Potter great :p

When I watch the films I feel that the only reason I enjoy them is because I have read the book and understand what's going on, I often think people who haven't read the book miss a lot and probably don't have a clue about some things.

I loved Deathly Hallows, the only problem I had with it is the fact that their was such a long gap between it and sixth that it allowed everyone, including myself, to dwell on details and predict what's going to happen and I found most of my theories came true and same for other people to. Was still a fun read and a few surprises there to keep everyone interested even if they have worked out most of it before opening the book.

"He's a chicken, I tell you! A giant chicken!"