Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-12-2010, 05:14 AM
HDC Idol

External CD/DVD/RW Drives

So last night I just realized that my brand-spanking-new laptop does not actually have a CD-Rom drive. It’s actually kinda funny because one would THINK that I would have noticed it when I bought it THREE MONTHS AGO or that I had checked the specs before buying it, but that’s besides the point… ;)

Needless to say now I’m looking at external CD/DVD/RW Burner drive that I can just plug in the USB port and I was hoping that maybe you guys could give me some guidance. I honestly know NOTHING about CD/DVD/RW drives and have always just used the ones that came with previous computers...

Because this caught me by surprise, I’m just looking at the really really cheap ones (like this), but I have no idea what else I should consider outside of inexpensive…ness…

Can I just buy the cheapest one I can find, or are there other factors I need to consider?

I have a Dell Studio 14z - 2.1GHz - 320GB - 3GB - with Windows 7 as my OS.

Thanks so much for your help, in advance.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 07-12-2010, 10:38 AM
Evil Dead

I don't see your particular laptop listed as being compatible with that drive, and it doesn't list Win 7 as an OS it's compatible with either.
Not really sure if that matters or not, it might work with your laptop just fine, but it would suck if it didn't.

This one is a little more money but says it works with Win7 and will still burn DL discs if you need to.
http://www.buy.com/prod/usb-2-0-slim...214691979.html

I'm sure you can find cheaper ones out there or maybe one on NewEgg or something offering a rebate.

The one you posted might work fine, like I said. But, I don't have Win7 and don't know for sure.

Good luck!!
Old 07-12-2010, 02:52 PM
HDC Idol

Thanks! That looks like a good one. I'm looking at www.newegg.com too to see what they have.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:27 PM
Cranky

Try this link too:

http://www.tigerdirect.com

Super reputable company and their prices are way better than newegg.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 07-13-2010, 05:20 PM
HDC Idol

Oooooo!!! That's another company that I keep hearing about and forgetting about. Thanks!!!

I actually wound up looking up my computer make/model to see if Dell has made any specific CD/DVD drives for it. It has (of course - how else would they sell more product?!), which I was lucky enough to find on eBay cheap. Should be coming in the mail shortly.

Thanks all for your help!!