Old 03-05-2019, 05:31 AM
enoonmai

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villain View Post
Round 2

What is the worst horror movie of 2018 and why?

Anyone can join in on the arguments even if you didnt participate in round 1. I'm hoping to get more people involved here.
I don't think I can really participate in this one because I haven't see a lot of horror movies in 2018

I will say one that I was looking forward to but disappointed me was "Hellfest", But it wouldn't be fair to call it the worst. I just thought the location could have been used better and the kills were rather bland, save for one.Although I did like the end, which seemed to turn off a lot of people.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:33 AM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudMan View Post
I don't think I can really participate in this one because I haven't see a lot of horror movies in 2018

I will say one that I was looking forward to but disappointed me was "Hellfest", But it wouldn't be fair to call it the worst. I just thought the location could have been used better and the kills were rather bland, save for one.Although I did like the end, which seemed to turn off a lot of people.
You could just run with it and try and convince us it was the worst regardless of if you think that

Old 03-05-2019, 08:47 AM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudMan View Post

I was thinking the same thing, Bud. One would think you'd have to see all the films to declare one the worst of the year, and it's the same for best of the year, and nobody ever sees all the films. But this is about the argument and debate, not the actuality. In debate you just argue a side or a position, whether you agree or not. In this case, one can pick the only 2018 movie they've seen and just make a persuasive arguments why it's the worst. And one can make a counter argument to it even without having seen the film. It's just for fun.

Old 03-05-2019, 03:31 PM
enoonmai

Oh....I see

Old 03-08-2019, 03:31 PM
Evil is Better

Anyone got any answers?

Old 03-09-2019, 11:11 AM
ventricle

The Apostle (2018), the Worst of 2018

The Apostle (2018) is a feel bad, confusing mess, devoid of genuine emotion, fumbling a creative premise, making it the worst of 2018.

To mark these film foibles allow me to annoy us by tracing through the stumbling plot. The extremely low key protagonist, Thomas, a former christian missionary, comes home, surely after a long absence, to his father who is distant and distraught about receiving a ransom for his daughter, Jennifer. She's being held by a religious cult on a British island. Through this numb setup we get no emotional connection between father-to-son, father-to-daughter, nor brother-to-sister. There's no religious fervor. We guess he's just being dutiful.

Thomas arrives at port, where men and families are going to join the cult group, and apparently there's a religious book, but we aren't given the gist of it. Thomas, seeking to remain hidden, notices his ticket is marked and sets up another sojourner, who is tortured and killed as a result.

In the first religious service, the leader, Malcolm, speaks, but it's all mumbo jumbo, and we don't understand what the devotion is, or why anyone is there. Everyone is to bloodlet into a jar each night for the goddess. We don't know why. Thomas sneaks out, goes into a cave under Malcolm's house, and is chased out by zombie witch looking thing.

The pointless nuttiness continues... we see a young couple sneak away to have sex, but we don't know why they have to sneak, we don't know if it's against this cult we don't understand. The father, Quinn, is one of the founding convicts, who finds out his daughter is pregnant and discovers their plan to escape the island, but we don't know why they need to 'escape', instead of be happily married on the island. Quinn kills her, tells the village the boyfriend did it, then straps him to a torture table, calling it a "purification" ritual, where he cranks a screw into the young man's head. What's the purpose of the ritual, why isn't the baby good news, why does he kill her? Nothing makes any sense, it doesn't advance the plot, so the audience doesn't care.

Next few paragraphs are the conclusion. Thomas sees his sister, but can't reach her, they don't interact, so we have no emotional investment, it's really hard to join Thomas because we don't know or feel his motivations.

Thomas discovers a barn where this black masked gimp kills people and feeds blood to the witch-goddess thing tied down to a mass of twisty viens. The blood sacrifice makes things grow. The third founding convict comes to the barn, is grabbed by the gimp and killed. Why did the gimp grab him and kill him, we have no fricking idea. Surely he's been there before. Who the hell is the voiceless gimp? We don't know.

Thomas goes up the witch, who doesn't speak, but apparently communicates with him telepathically. Rather than wanting to be set free to right some wrongs, or talk to the worshipers, or plant some flowers... she asks him to set her on fire, and the whole island is set ablaze. Why? Who the heck knows.

It all ends when Thomas catches up to Quinn who has Jennifer and Andrea, Malcolm's daughter, tied up. Quinn tells them he's going to rape them and feed the baby blood to the witch to make the island cult community fruitful. Sounds like a good plan, right? Thomas kills him, but gets mortally wounded. In this final heartless scene he tells his sister and Andrea to go to flee the island with the other villagers. Thomas tells her to pray for him, but we have know idea why he would say that, as he hasn't reached out to his christian past, God or ideals throughout the film. Where he lays his blood makes some plants grow... but why would that be, as he had just torched the silent witch-goddess a half hour ago.

We never see the love of this family, nor know Thomas's inner motivations, morals or faith. We understand the blood fed to the witch barely sustained the cult group, but the film does a horrible job rooting all of the going-ons in any logical or compelling sense. And to boot the film wasn't very suspenseful or scary.

Last edited by Sculpt; 03-10-2019 at 01:23 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:45 AM
ventricle

Debate contestants --

- Go ahead a pick a 2018 film you didn't love, and just rip into it. It's just for fun.

- Otherwise, let us and Villain know you'd prefer a different debate topic.

Like Budman, I didn't like the 'What is the worst horror movie of 2018 and why?' selection either... because of the few 2018 I saw, I didn't hate any, And two, the topic logically (though not traditionally) assumes you saw a ton of 2018 horror.

But I know I can just exaggerate, make stuff up and lie in my argument, but I also know it's easier if you're actually liking the topic and believe what you're arguing. But just let Villain know, he's got a million topics.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:14 AM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
Debate contestants --

- Go ahead a pick a 2018 film you didn't love, and just rip into it. It's just for fun.

- Otherwise, let us and Villain know you'd prefer a different debate topic.

Like Budman, I didn't like the 'What is the worst horror movie of 2018 and why?' selection either... because of the few 2018 I saw, I didn't hate any, And two, the topic logically (though not traditionally) assumes you saw a ton of 2018 horror.

But I know I can just exaggerate, make stuff up and lie in my argument, but I also know it's easier if you're actually liking the topic and believe what you're arguing. But just let Villain know, he's got a million topics.
Thanks Sculpt. I do have other questions if everyone would prefer something else

Old 03-19-2019, 01:02 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villain View Post
Thanks Sculpt. I do have other questions if everyone would prefer something else
I recommend you just pick another topic, something simple and fun, and see if any contestant bites. I've been enjoying this so far.

Old 03-19-2019, 01:26 PM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
I recommend you just pick another topic, something simple and fun, and see if any contestant bites. I've been enjoying this so far.
Yeah probably for the best.

New topic:

Pick a movie and change it to a horror movie. Describe how the movie would go and argue why it would be a good movie