Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-23-2012, 02:56 AM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post
If you have a query, doubt or an unsolved riddle regarding the film, post it here.
Why did the 'Space Jockey' DNA match human dna 100%, would that not make them..well...human?

SO the 'Space Jockeys' seeded Earth and then left clues for their creations to find them but those clues lead to what I think was so bio-weapon facility. Weird.

Also, why did they do all this only to want to destroy it in the end?

Some of the things I couldn't figure out. There are also other bits I found strange/silly or illogical but they aren't really plot questions.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:48 AM
For Vendetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferox13 View Post
Why did the 'Space Jockey' DNA match human dna 100%, would that not make them..well...human?
Basically, the humans are also engineered from the Space Jockeys' DNA, or Engineers as they are called in Prometheus, as one of their milder creations. They were planted on Earth and left to flourish, with periodic visits from the Engineers to Earth keeping a tab on their progress. Which explains the maps by different civilisations at different points of time in history pointing to the same star map - a star map undoubtedly left by the Engineers.

Quote:
SO the 'Space Jockeys' seeded Earth and then left clues for their creations to find them but those clues lead to what I think was so bio-weapon facility. Weird.
Bang on.

Planet LV-223 is a testing ground for the Engineers and their bio-weapons. The planet's pyramid was full of such bio-weapons, some of them resultants from experiments gone so awry that even the Engineers had to flee the scenes (as deduced from one of the chase sequences). The Hammerpede is one such example, the gooey, sticky stuff inside the egg-sized containers is another, etc.

The Engineers undoubtedly didn't want to leave a direct clue to their location - humans had to find them out from the ships they left underground in LV-223. That is, if humans were tough enough to survive inside the pyramid till they found the spaceship entrance inside them. Like it was shown in the end, the whole planet has several other ships underground. Any such ship had maps and directions to reach the Engineers' home planet.

Quote:
Also, why did they do all this only to want to destroy it in the end?
They didn't want to destroy it all. They planted these bio-weapons and kept testing them further. The opening sequence is that of an Engineer who:-

A) Volunteered to be a subject for the sticky substance bio-weapon testing,

OR

B) Someone who raised their voice on the continuous production of bio-weapons and, as a result, was cast out and punished by making them forcefully feed themselves with the sticky stuff.

A sequence which might be more clearer in part 2.

Quote:
Some of the things I couldn't figure out. There are also other bits I found strange/silly or illogical but they aren't really plot questions.
Go ahead and post them. Others might also have the same doubts and they can be clarified for everyone's benefits.

That's the beauty of Prometheus. It leaves you with questions and makes you think.

Last edited by _____V_____; 06-23-2012 at 03:51 AM.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:11 AM
Misfit

Send a message via AIM to Posher778 Send a message via MSN to Posher778 Send a message via Yahoo to Posher778
Quote:
Basically, the humans are also engineered from the Space Jockeys' DNA, or Engineers as they are called in Prometheus, as one of their milder creations. They were planted on Earth and left to flourish, with periodic visits from the Engineers to Earth keeping a tab on their progress. Which explains the maps by different civilisations at different points of time in history pointing to the same star map - a star map undoubtedly left by the Engineers.

Bang on.

Planet LV-223 is a testing ground for the Engineers and their bio-weapons. The planet's pyramid was full of such bio-weapons, some of them resultants from experiments gone so awry that even the Engineers had to flee the scenes (as deduced from one of the chase sequences). The Hammerpede is one such example, the gooey, sticky stuff inside the egg-sized containers is another, etc.

The Engineers undoubtedly didn't want to leave a direct clue to their location - humans had to find them out from the ships they left underground in LV-223. That is, if humans were tough enough to survive inside the pyramid till they found the spaceship entrance inside them. Like it was shown in the end, the whole planet has several other ships underground. Any such ship had maps and directions to reach the Engineers' home planet.

They didn't want to destroy it all. They planted these bio-weapons and kept testing them further. The opening sequence is that of an Engineer who:-

OR

B) Someone who raised their voice on the continuous production of bio-weapons and, as a result, was cast out and punished by making them forcefully feed themselves with the sticky stuff.

Go ahead and post them. Others might also have the same doubts and they can be clarified for everyone's benefits.

That's the beauty of Prometheus. It leaves you with questions and makes you think.
I definitely thought when he drank the stuff at the beginning that it was how they created humans in the first place. Like he gave himself up to make a new race. I may have been a little tipsy at the start though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X¤MurderDoll¤X View Post
oh posher, I love you.

well as much as a girl can love a squirrely little girly man I suppose.

None of this is real
Old 06-23-2012, 06:13 AM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posher778 View Post
I definitely thought when he drank the stuff at the beginning that it was how they created humans in the first place. Like he gave himself up to make a new race. I may have been a little tipsy at the start though.
Thats what i thought too

Old 06-23-2012, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Basically, the humans are also engineered from the Space Jockeys' DNA, or Engineers as they are called in Prometheus, as one of their milder creations. They were planted on Earth and left to flourish, with periodic visits from the Engineers to Earth keeping a tab on their progress.
No I get that - what i meant that the DNA was a 100% match not a partial match - humanity had evolved/'mutated' from their initial seeding. So human DNA would only have elements of the Space Jockeys' DNA and would not be excalty the same.

Quote:

They didn't want to destroy it all. They planted these bio-weapons and kept testing them further. The opening sequence is that of an Engineer who:-.
I presumed the ship laden with bioweapons was on its way to destroy Earth. Thats why Shaw wanted to sacrifice the Prometheus.

Quote:

The opening sequence is that of an Engineer who:-

OR

I have to disagree with this. I thing the opening sequence was a flashback to the Space Jockey who was allocated to seed Earth. I think it was a reference to religion and a God that died for his creations. (I think Poser said something similar)

I'll post some of my more nitpicky things later.

Last edited by Ferox13; 06-23-2012 at 06:40 AM.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:59 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Quote:
Rumors have it that Prometheus 2 will be with us sooner than we expect, by summer 2015. Scott will produce this time, with a "visionary" director helming the director's chair. Take this rumor with a pinch of salt - Scott wants Jodorowsky to helm the sequel, since he's so strong with symbolic visual representation in his works (Santa Sangre, El Topo, The Holy Mountain, etc.)
Hummm....I don't think Jodorowsky will be a good choice for this sort of franchise; things will get more complicated with lots of confusing boring sequences.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:14 AM
For Vendetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posher778 View Post
Quote:
I have to disagree with this. I thing the opening sequence was a flashback to the Space Jockey who was allocated to seed Earth. I think it was a reference to religion and a God that died for his creations. (I think Poser said something similar)
I thought so as well, specially with the whole DNA bursting sequence culminating in the formation of a red cell (RBC?) which quickly started multiplying inside the water (first 2, then 4...).

Then, that whole sequence with David mixing the same sticky substance with Holloway's drink which resulted in him going awry (and his love-making with Shaw resulting in the rapid formation and development of the squid baby, leading up to the self-surgery sequence) and mutating into something which deteriorated his condition so badly he basically brought his own death to himself (by getting burnt by Vicker's flamethrower) - this threw a spanner into the works.

If this was the same substance which resulted in the formation and development of RBCs, why did it cause such rapid mutation in Holloway and that uber-quick pregnancy of Shaw? If it was the percursor to the RBCs, Holloway shouldn't have been affected. If affected, he should have mutated into...another human?

If it turns out to be the former (both substances are separate), I stand corrected. If the latter (both are the same), then I guess Part 2 will have to answer that as well.

Quote:
No I get that - what i meant that the DNA was a 100% match not a partial match - humanity had evolved/'mutated' from their initial seeding. So human DNA would only have elements of the Space Jockeys' DNA and would not be excalty the same.
Remember the Space Jockey from Alien? It's size was much larger than normal humans (Dallas, Lambert & Kane) and it was fossilised in it's chair. The Engineer in Prometheus is different - he/it is not much taller than humans, and resembles our looks. Could it be that the races of man & Engineers are related, with the Space Jockey of Alien being a superior set of beings above the Engineers? That could explain the 100% DNA match - siblings share the same DNA.

It could also add a whole new meaning to the opening sequence too, however. I think the dating of the opening sequence assumes a lot of importance now.

Quote:
I presumed the ship laden with bioweapons was on its way to destroy Earth. Thats why Shaw wanted to sacrifice the Prometheus.
The ship was programmed to go to Earth, with a dormant Engineer inside (in hypersleep, perhaps?). The cargo held the bio-weapon containers which had the sticky substance in them - maybe that's the way they got rid of entire races and started a new one, as soon as evolution brought that species into a stage when they became too learned, too experienced and too smart. Maybe the Engineers planned it in such a manner that they inhabited/destroyed worlds according to their evolutionary stages. That could be the reason why the Engineer, upon awakening, attacked the humans and ripped David apart.

I have an idea about how this whole thing ends up tying up with the events on LV-426 in Alien through the next 2 sequels. Let's see if Scott proves me right.

Last edited by _____V_____; 06-23-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:45 AM

Quote:
I thought so as well, specially with the whole DNA bursting sequence culminating in the formation of a red cell (RBC?) which quickly started multiplying inside the water (first 2, then 4...).

Then, that whole sequence with David mixing the same sticky substance with Holloway's drink which resulted in him going awry (and his love-making with Shaw resulting in the rapid formation and development of the squid baby, leading up to the self-surgery sequence) and mutating into something which deteriorated his condition so badly he basically brought his own death to himself (by getting burnt by Vicker's flamethrower) - this threw a spanner into the works.

If this was the same substance which resulted in the formation and development of RBCs, why did it cause such rapid mutation in Holloway and that uber-quick pregnancy of Shaw? If it was the percursor to the RBCs, Holloway shouldn't have been affected. If affected, he should have mutated into...another human?

If it turns out to be the former (both substances are separate), I stand corrected. If the latter (both are the same), then I guess Part 2 will have to answer that as well.
The black goo seems to have different effects on what it infects and how?

The effects it had on Shaw were very different than what it did to Fifield (it turned him into an uber strong, pcp Zombie). It made the indigenous lifeforms (the worms) a 1000 bigger. Assuming it was the same substance at the start, it breaks down the Engineers to their DNA building blocks.

This seems like a more logical explaination than the Engineer was 'Someone who raised their voice on the continuous production of bio-weapons and, as a result, was cast out and punished by making them forcefully feed themselves with the sticky stuff.'. I see zero evidence for this.

Quote:
Could it be that the races of man & Engineers are related, with the Space Jockey of Alien being a superior set of beings above the Engineers? That could explain the 100% DNA match - siblings share the same DNA.
What I am questioning is the 100%. Only creatures of the same race have exactly the same DNA. Clearly Engineers/Space Jockeys are not the same race as humans.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:04 AM

Heres some of my nitpicking (not so much plot points but just what I felt unrealistic actions of characters):

Fifield and Millburn getting lost in an area that had mapped and even knew their coordinates when they reported to the ship.

The crews completely nonplussed by Shaw when she shows up half naked, covered in blood with a Cesarean scar.

Why would they put together an operation of that size and put a crew on it that never met or trained together. It was like they picked up some daylabourers outside Home Depot.

Why did they hire Guy Pierce only to put him in a Johnny Knoxvill 'old suit'? Strange choice - I know there was the TED talks piece but that couldn't be it. Maybe he was already signed for a prequel.

Somethings I probably didn't get:

The 'altar' room clearly showed a carving of a Xenomorph (that looked liek the queen) - so the xeno that was born from the Spacejockey at the end wasn't the first? Why have what religious carving of the alien in the first place (I think this might get explained later)

I didn't understand the worm that was seen in Charlie's eye. I though the good worked on DNA but that seemed like a parasite. I thought maybe Davids sample was contaminated (by one of the worms) before he got a chance to freeze but I am not sure.

How did the Space Jockey make it to the shuttle with not helmet.

Why were the Engineers wearing helmets in the ship when it was set up with a breathable enviroment.

DAvid seemed to know the language of the Enginners too well just from studing ancient texts. He could open the sequences on the doors (which I imagine were codes). So not only could he understand the signage but also the sybols to press in the right order. Its like I know how the security door in the bank works but I have no idea what sequence of numbers to press.

I didn't get why the holograms were created - were they like security footage?
Old 06-24-2012, 02:24 AM
No, fuck YOU

Maybe David only thought he knew the language when he really didn't.

So when he spoke to the Jockey what he was really saying was, "I had sex with yo momma."

And then all hell broke lose.

Makes sense. Makes alot of sense..