Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Vintage Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-13-2022, 12:35 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
I checked out The Raven (1935)...

I've never seen The Raven, probably cause I tend to get it mixed up with The Black Cat (1934). It was alright. Lugosi does a great job delivering the lines of an arrogant mad scientist. Karloff not so much. Karloff starts out fine as a fugitive, but after Lugosi changes his face Boris starts acting like he's mentally disabled and slows everything way down, which didn't make any sense.

The ending is a bit clunky in execution, no pun intended. There's lots of wide shots and just not at all very dynamic in regards to suspense or horror.
I'm glad You gave it a chance, Sculpt. Karloff really is overshadowed by Bela; as for Bela, I wish He could have put a couple more guests in his "Poe Works"

SHERLOCK HOLMES IN WASHINGTON (1943). The last of the full blown propaganda Holmes films. After this, it was more into gothic territory with current events still mentioned, but not to such a degree. The boys from Baker Street visit DC, with Watson seemingly having the time of his life (especially involving gum) and Holmes put out by being there. A secret document has been put on another object, leading to a "Hidden in Plain sight" scenario. OK, but not much more than that. Besides Bruce and Rathbone, SHIW also has Ian Wolfe (THE RAVEN, BEDLAM), George Zucco (THE MUMMY's HAND), Henry Daniell (THE BODY SNATCHER) and a young married at the time couple Jack Archer and Marjorie Lord (TV's MAKE ROOM FOR DADDY and MAKE ROOM FOR GRANDADDY) who shortly after this had a daughter, Anne, who racked up some decent film credits of her own in the future. **1/2
Old 03-19-2022, 11:51 PM
Evil Dead

THE DEADLY BEES (1967). A burned out singer goes to an island for some R'n'R (staying with a combative couple-how could You relax with that) and some mysterious incidents involving Bee attacks begin. Being that there are two non-friendly Bee keepers on the island, it's just gotta be one of them..maybe?

TDB spooked Me as a little one (no doubt, owing to Bee stings I got) and bored Me as a Teen. Still not great, but not as bad as I remembered (and honestly, Amicus did anthology films better, anyway) with decent turns by Suzanna Leigh, Katy Wild (the Mute Girl from EVIL OF FRANKENSTEIN-kind of cute here!) and Michael Ripper (whose real life wife at the time ends up in peril here). Noticed as older a plot device from THE DEVIL BAT and the band on TV in the beginning, known as The Birds, reminded Me a lot of The Yardbirds, especially the guitar player on the right. Turns out the guitar is Ronnie Wood who went on to play in The Jeff Beck Group, The Faces and for the last 40 plus years, The Rolling Stones. ***
Old 03-20-2022, 12:23 PM
Licking

The Ghoul (1933) Egyptologist and professor Henry Morlant (Boris Karloff) thinks an ancient jewel will give him powers of rejuvenation if it is offered up to the god Anubis. But when Morlant dies, his assistant Laing (Ernest Thesiger) steals the jewel. This one was really well done. It seems that it was lost for a long time until some one discovered the original negatives in an old warehouse during the 1980's. See this one if you can.
Old 03-22-2022, 11:42 PM
Evil Dead

RETURN OF THE FLY (1959). B/W sequel to the technicolor 1958 original has the DeLambre son working on the same experiments his Father had been. He is aided by Vincent Price (uncle) and a Friend who isn't all that He apples to be.

Although the "Fly" makeup looks cumbersome, this really isn't too bad and I enjoyed it. ***
Old 03-27-2022, 12:13 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via Yahoo to bamahorrorfan87
Omoo omoo the shark god
Old 03-28-2022, 07:15 PM
Evil Dead

Cry of the werewolf
Old 03-30-2022, 01:45 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamahorrorfan87 View Post
Cry of the werewolf
This looks interesting. I kinda like films that are only about an hour.

Last edited by Sculpt; 04-03-2022 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-31-2022, 06:00 PM
Evil Dead

The little shop of horrors
Old 03-31-2022, 11:53 PM
I kick ass for the lord!

blood feast
Old 04-01-2022, 04:15 AM
病気の

Dementia 13, 1960. 8/10

Director: Francis Coppola