Old 09-19-2006, 11:18 AM
Evil Dead

A couple of new recos...

#1: Borrowed Time - Oni Press.
Thus far, I've only read book 1...which was 78 pages. I'm waiting on the second with great anticipation. Some comics you just feel really drawn into as you float through the storyline - this is one of 'em. Grainy black and white, nothing spectacular to look at, this one's all story. I won't go too far into it, but lets just say it involves some bermuda triangle type weirdness, and a man who finds himself in a reality seperated to ours only by sheer seconds of time...he loses his life to find himself in a limbo of sorts with those who have come before him. There's some really strange crossover moments, and some very cool twists.
It might not be the best explanation out there, but I really don't wanna spoil anything for those who choose to read it....78 pages is pretty long by comic standards, but I was so absorbed by this title that it felt like I'd read through it in about 5 minutes. I cannot say why, all I can do is throw out a reco. DEFINATELY worth a look.

#2: War of the worlds: Second wave - BOOM! Studios.
Up to issue 5 so far. In a way, the title says it all really...this IS a sequel to the novels/movies of the same name, yet not really completely so....there's a simple mention of the initial storyline, and then it's into it. Simple everyday characters, no heroic types.
This book gets up close and personal with the aliens, who have slowly but surely started to adapt after their prior attacks had failed. Some VERY tense, scary and raw moments in this comic...and not even so much from the aliens, but the people.
This is the kinda thing you wanna read if you're into horror...and completely different from the original, in a good way...pays homage here and there and leaves it at that, for a very solid, character driven story.
This one is what made me take notice of the BOOM! studios label...it really is bringing out some very good stuff.
Have a look if it suits you. I'm sure it'll find some fans here.

- B