Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum

Old 03-31-2019, 09:12 PM
That fucking Guy...

BluRay is still missing a lot of things...

I've noticed this...just like with VHS to DVD, a lot of things get left behind.

Today I've been slimming down my DVD collection, and the ones that aren't getting traded in for fuck-all, I'm hoping to get copies or collections on BluRay.

So I'm in "region B", though I'm not sure if it's like the old regions or if different regions will work on BluRay players (eg - Playstation 3 games would work on any console regardless of their region).

So...it seems like, aside from the things I've already noticed prior to today, I'm unable to get these ones on BluRay.

Flight of the Navigator - Not in my region anyway.

The "Meatballs" movies. In fact there seems to be no collection anywhere, even on DVD. All I can find is the first one on DVD...did these not survive even over to DVD?

The El Mariachi trilogy. I can find an italian BluRay. Nothing else. Anyone?

That's it, so far...
Old 03-31-2019, 09:49 PM
Banned

Older movies that were made for VHS but then transferred to DVD and then later to Blu-ray oh, I see as more of a gimmick. I mean the picture quality might be a little clearer if you have a 4K or better, but otherwise there's not that big enough of a difference for me to pay much notice. I honestly buy DVDs when I buy a movie because it's cheaper and the extra money isn't really worth a slightly clearer picture when I already have a 4K TV as is and the DVDs look similar to Blu-ray.
Old 03-31-2019, 10:51 PM
That fucking Guy...

I have to disagree on the gimmickry point...and while some newer "old" DVDs can look decent on a new 4K tv.
They may look acceptable, they may even look "good" but a side by side would show there's an improvement in BluRay most of the time...even if it's just better fit to the parameters and display of the TV.

Then there's the even bigger case of the BluRay restorations like say "The Thing" - which I have never seen look so beautiful and "new" in my life.
Those ones are worth the upgrade.

Though for me?
I buy BluRay because the difference is negligible in terms of price, and they will just perform better and last longer.
Then there's a lot of cases where I'll have a DVD of #1, #2, #3, and I can upgrade them all onto BluRay and grab a set that will save a bunch of space...I mean that's what it's all about for me.
Keeping things running. Reducing space.
I already collect enough physical shit in my place, literally the walls are lined...entertainment is one thing I'd like to reduce in size.

Hell, make it all cloud/stream based and if the technology was up to scratch, I'd get rid of almost anything.

For me, it's not like they even have cool covers like VHS used to, I have zero connection to the aesthetics of most of these things.
Old shit just looks worse over time, and encounters compatability/resolution issues. That's why I do it.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:49 AM
Misanthrope

Apart from Arrow Video's stuff Region B has pretty terrible releases especially the local Aus/NZ discs. A decent region free player is the way to go as labels like Shout Factory are bringing out some nice restored cult flicks with excellent artwork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheebacheeba View Post
Flight of the Navigator - Not in my region anyway.

The "Meatballs" movies. In fact there seems to be no collection anywhere, even on DVD. All I can find is the first one on DVD...did these not survive even over to DVD?

The El Mariachi trilogy. I can find an italian BluRay. Nothing else. Anyone?
There's a UK release of Flight Of The Navagator that is region free.

There is a region free El Mariachi/Desperado disc floating around too that might be out of print now. Once Upon A Time In Mexico is pretty easy to find as a local release.

I think there's only a US version of Meatballs. Meatballs III never got put out on DVD but there was a cheapie version of the second film floating about on DVD. I'd say Shout Factory will release II & III at some point.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:53 AM
Misanthrope

I am completely digital now with movies because of the space. I've ripped my DVDs and Blu Rays to a few different USB Hard Drives and use a media player to play them. I'll eventually set up a big networked hard drive and access everything from there and have my media all in one place but for now hard drives are working fine.
Old 04-01-2019, 11:12 AM
This is a test

I loved Flight of the Navigator! Loved watching it with my kids when they were younger.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:57 PM
Banned

When I was little I loved Flight of the Navigator! I tried to get my mom and dad to get it for me on VHS but they can never find it so I only got to watch it when it came on TV. That little alien was so cute!
Old 04-02-2019, 12:16 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheebacheeba View Post
I have to disagree on the gimmickry point...and while some newer "old" DVDs can look decent on a new 4K tv.
They may look acceptable, they may even look "good" but a side by side would show there's an improvement in BluRay most of the time...even if it's just better fit to the parameters and display of the TV.

Then there's the even bigger case of the BluRay restorations like say "The Thing" - which I have never seen look so beautiful and "new" in my life.
Those ones are worth the upgrade.

Though for me?
I buy BluRay because the difference is negligible in terms of price, and they will just perform better and last longer.
Then there's a lot of cases where I'll have a DVD of #1, #2, #3, and I can upgrade them all onto BluRay and grab a set that will save a bunch of space...I mean that's what it's all about for me.
Keeping things running. Reducing space.
I already collect enough physical shit in my place, literally the walls are lined...entertainment is one thing I'd like to reduce in size.

Hell, make it all cloud/stream based and if the technology was up to scratch, I'd get rid of almost anything.

For me, it's not like they even have cool covers like VHS used to, I have zero connection to the aesthetics of most of these things.
Old shit just looks worse over time, and encounters compatability/resolution issues. That's why I do it.
Can you recommend the best The Thing 82 Blue Ray product? I've had some on my Amazon wish list, but wasn't sure enough. I'd like to get a great looking one, but also, I'd like to get a ton of other content, like 'the making of', and some great commentary.

I ditched all but a box of VHS movies I think are rare. I've even purchased a few digital copies that reside with Amazon. As long as Amazon doesn't go out of business, I can watch it there. I could also d/l to a flash drive or cloud, etc, but there's so few, I'm not concerned.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:36 PM
That fucking Guy...

I dunno man, I've only got the one.
Lemme see...
Just this one. Nothing special about it really.
I mean it's region B though I believe, purchased in Australia.
It doesn't mention being a restoration or anything of the sort, but honestly it's like watching a brand new movie.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thing.jpg (13.7 KB, 1 views)
Old 04-02-2019, 08:36 PM
That fucking Guy...

haha just noticed. "Horror THEME"?
Right.