Old 05-06-2018, 06:40 PM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

Talking I think I hit the jackpot

I found a DVD at Walmart today that features 6 classic horror movies, 4 of which are some of my all-time favorites. This DVD includes: Night of the Living Dead, House on Haunted Hill, Dementia 13, The Brain That Wouldn't Die, Night of Bloody Horror, and Nosferatu.

The only complaint I have about it is that this version of Nosferatu seems to be lesser quality than the version I had watched before. It's missing some scenes, the soundtrack isn't as good, and for some reason it uses the original names of the characters from Bram Stoker's Dracula like Count Orlock is Dracula, Max is Johnathan Harker, etc. I dunno why but I kind of liked the other names better.

But other than that I am very satisfied with my recent purchase today. Now I am looking into buying a DVD from Walmart's website that has Carnival of Souls and four other bonus movies.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:03 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvablePsycho View Post
I found a DVD at Walmart today that features 6 classic horror movies, 4 of which are some of my all-time favorites. This DVD includes: Night of the Living Dead, House on Haunted Hill, Dementia 13, The Brain That Wouldn't Die, Night of Bloody Horror, and Nosferatu.

The only complaint I have about it is that this version of Nosferatu seems to be lesser quality than the version I had watched before. It's missing some scenes, the soundtrack isn't as good, and for some reason it uses the original names of the characters from Bram Stoker's Dracula like Count Orlock is Dracula, Max is Johnathan Harker, etc. I dunno why but I kind of liked the other names better.

But other than that I am very satisfied with my recent purchase today. Now I am looking into buying a DVD from Walmart's website that has Carnival of Souls and four other bonus movies.
Good set. I have this super cheap 4 DVD set of 20 horror films that include all of those except The Brain That Wouldn't Die, Night of Bloody Horror, and Nosferatu. I've even heard of Night of Bloody Horror. But the movie I have does have the original Little Shop of Horrors, Maniac and The Last Man on Earth.

Old 05-08-2018, 07:19 AM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
Good set. I have this super cheap 4 DVD set of 20 horror films that include all of those except The Brain That Wouldn't Die, Night of Bloody Horror, and Nosferatu. I've even heard of Night of Bloody Horror. But the movie I have does have the original Little Shop of Horrors, Maniac and The Last Man on Earth.
I've never watched The Brain That Wouldn't Die (or Night of Bloody Horror) but I've heard good things about it. Apparently it's pretty violent for a movie that came out in the early 60's and has a scene of a man getting his arm ripped off.

Also I just ordered the Carnival of Souls DVD with four bonus movies and I have no idea what the four extra movies are but I hope they're good lol. I'll let you guys know once I get it.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:06 AM
Evil Dead

dvd bargains

Six movies on a dvd? That's nothing. I bought a dvd for ten bucks at Walmart that had 50 horror movies. I guess "classic horror movie" to them means "movie that doesn't happen to be under copyright right now."
But the quality varied greatly, from good to unwatchable.

The dvd included a movie that I was the only one in the world to have ever seen: a peculiar vampire movie from the 1940s called Dead Men Walk, starring George Zucco. He plays twin brothers, one good and the other evil.
I suppose not many people remember Zucco, except for his playing Prof. Moriarty in The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, starring Basil Rathbone.

Here's another movie that I thought only I knew about. I saw this movie on the late late show when I was a child. Last night I saw it in the cable listings: On Borrowed Time, starring Lionel Barrymore. It's about an old man who had Death (Sir Cedric Hardwick) trapped in his apple tree.

Speaking of Death as a character, I have never seen the original Death Takes a Holiday, starring Fredric March. My sister says that's its the corniest movie she's ever seen.
As you all know, Fredric March is the only actor to win a Best Actor Oscar for a performance in a horror movie: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:09 AM
Evil Dead

Carnival of Souls

I hope you enjoy Carnival of Souls. I suppose a lot of people who only know recent horror movies would find it very slow moving.
Clive Barker says that modern audiences won't sit still for any kind of careful character development or building up atmosphere. They want to see heads flying off, and they want it RIGHT NOW.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:31 AM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by idoneus1957 View Post
I hope you enjoy Carnival of Souls. I suppose a lot of people who only know recent horror movies would find it very slow moving.
Clive Barker says that modern audiences won't sit still for any kind of careful character development or building up atmosphere. They want to see heads flying off, and they want it RIGHT NOW.
I've already seen it and it's one of my favorites. The reason I bought the other DVD was because it had so many of my favorites on one DVD. I usually don't buy those kinds of DVDs because they mostly have crap but I really liked this one and I'm sure I'll like the one with Carnival of Souls too. Hopefully it'll have some good movies.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:25 PM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

OK I bought the one with Carnival of Souls and it comes with The Last Man on Earth which I heard was really good, White Zombie which I also heard was good, The Bat, and Chamber of Horrors. Sounds like some promising movies on this DVD.
Old 05-12-2018, 02:34 PM
ventricle

Quote:
OK I bought the one with Carnival of Souls and it comes with The Last Man on Earth which I heard was really good, White Zombie which I also heard was good, The Bat, and Chamber of Horrors. Sounds like some promising movies on this DVD.
Good set. You get to see a nice copy of Last Man. The Bat is an interesting film, good writing in the beginning, talented actors and good sets.

Old 05-12-2018, 02:53 PM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
Good set. You get to see a nice copy of Last Man. The Bat is an interesting film, good writing in the beginning, talented actors and good sets.
I watched some parts of it and it kind of reminds me of Night of the Living Dead. Are those people supposed to be like zombies basically?
Old 05-12-2018, 02:55 PM
ventricle

Quote:
I watched some parts of it and it kind of reminds me of Night of the Living Dead. Are those people supposed to be like zombies basically?
A type of vampire actually... from a virus outbreak.