Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Books & Fiction Writing
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-30-2008, 09:03 AM
Cranky

That's a very underground writer kind of statement- no offense intended.

I think good lit can be found in your everyday chain bookstore. People don't read anymore because it's just not fashionable. This is an age of moving image with sound- preferably fast & loud. I think the average person these days finds reading a book a bit, well- boring.

Not to mention the obvious link to being read to as a child being a great influence. I'm willing to bet in these fast times not many people do that any more.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 11-30-2008, 05:46 PM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
That's a very underground writer kind of statement- no offense intended.
It very much is, but it's not an uninformed statement. Yes, good literature does reach the shelves, but that which doesn't reach the shelves and ends up discarded is often bolder and more interesting than that which does. Much of what hits the shelves comes from agented writers and, for the most part, literary agents are only interested in the bottom line. Most of the best films in the horror genre were independently produced and now the same thing is happening much more often with books. The only thing is, an independent film has an ingrained audience, while a small press book has to take greater risks and do more self-promotion to a wide audience of non readers. There aren't people who don't watch movies. Small presses also have the early books by authors that end up peppering the shelves with third, fourth...hell, seventh novels. A lot of horror writers do things for Dybbuk, Bloodletting or Delirium before they get on the Leisure horror thing, and Leisure horror is a very mixed bag, often representing inferior more commercial works from smaller press authors. I would recommend people do research before thinking that some author's book from Leisure is the best thing of theirs they can get. It's usually the contrary. Leisure doesn't want to blur genre, take risks or offend anybody, which are huge components of good horror instead of vanilla crap. Look an author up and see where his early work came from and check it out. Also, check out work somebody does with a smaller press after they're a decent sized name. Did all of the best performances in rock come out of the Albert Hall? I think not. If you want really good horror or something unusual to read, slum it.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:08 PM
Cranky

Any comments on the original question of this thread? Did you share reading experiences with your peers growing up. and if so, what were they?

This wasn't intended as a disection of the horror novel today.

And there are people who don't watch movies- incredible as that may sound. In my work I get told frequently "oh I don't watch movies." Now certainly most are saying that just so I'll go away, but there are people who think movies today are just filthy, immoral crap- and some who just don't like movies today- and it's not as rare as you would think. I've had normal seeming parents tell me they won't watch Disney any more because they're just too inappropriate for their kids.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 12-01-2008, 10:30 AM
Top Of The World Ma!!

in my case - the people i know who dont watch movies - it has nothing to do with morality - it has to do with moronity...

they'll watch nascar, hockey games and lowest common denominator TV sit-coms ... but sit through an entire movie ? shit no !

well ... maybe the Dukes of Hazard remake .. cause that were a durn good picture.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:52 PM
Wanna Join?

I grew up in a neighborhood of comic collectors and became one myself (and still am 45 years later) and there was comic talk going on all the time. Then a fellow comic freak introduced me to science fiction (and then horror and fantasy) and before I knew it I had two life-time hobbies: books and comics. Much of my time in school and now in adult life was and still is spent book hunting and talking about books. The internet hasn't really diminished the fire. (Though truth to tell, time I would normally spend reading is now spent posting. But I still do read.)

"Within the framework of most horror tales we find a moral code so strong it would make a Puritan smile." Stephen King, DANSE MACABRE
Old 12-05-2008, 06:12 AM
For Vendetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
I think good lit can be found in your everyday chain bookstore. People don't read anymore because it's just not fashionable. This is an age of moving image with sound- preferably fast & loud. I think the average person these days finds reading a book a bit, well- boring.

Not to mention the obvious link to being read to as a child being a great influence. I'm willing to bet in these fast times not many people do that any more.
I read a lot through my formative years, still do. In fact, you ll see an equal number of books and dvds on my table any given hour of the day. I ve always been partial to the book especially because it lets the imagination flow any way and direction it can.

But I can see where you are coming from, NE. The lives today are on the fast lane, and most people just dont have that kind of time to spare anymore. Its easily comparable to the school and college years, when you could actually take some time out to read through your favorite books. Its not necessarily the intrusion of the visual/audio media today, than the busy schedules of people, especially the working class.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:20 AM

I'll go ahead and say... I HATE THE INTERNET, IT HAS RUINED MY MIND.

Hahaha. But seriously, it really has lead to a decline in my *pauses to think* mental function?

As a kid, reading was a great joy. I'd sit for hours reading... I'd read while eating, read in the bath, read on the bus to and from school, read in bed... sometimes I'd stay awake all night until the sun had come up just READING!

And then, along came the internet... and I forgot my beloved books.
Even now that I'm older I can't control myself and stay away long enough to have a good long read. I wish I could... but it's like I have the attention span of a newt these days. It's sad. Really sad.

What I need is one of those breaks away from technology, so I can get in touch with myself again. :)
Old 12-15-2008, 09:46 PM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by urgeok2 View Post
in my case - the people i know who dont watch movies - it has nothing to do with morality - it has to do with moronity...

they'll watch nascar, hockey games and lowest common denominator TV sit-coms ... but sit through an entire movie ? shit no !

well ... maybe the Dukes of Hazard remake .. cause that were a durn good picture.
Generalizations are everywhere... very intelligent people can enjoy hockey, films, books, wrestling, art, "Friends", and the theater. I think Neverending is closer to the truth, in this time of instant gratification a book just isn't fast enough. A lot of people simply aren't going to choose ink and paper over high definition visuals and deafening surround sound.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:57 AM
Top Of The World Ma!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despare View Post
Generalizations are everywhere... very intelligent people can enjoy hockey, films, books, wrestling, art, "Friends", and the theater. .
sure - but those people will enjoy films - and reading - too .. i'm talking about the ones (i know in person) that don't.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:23 AM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by urgeok2 View Post
sure - but those people will enjoy films - and reading - too .. i'm talking about the ones (i know in person) that don't.
I know, it just seems with a lot of your posts lately you've tied certain things to redneck culture that don't necessarily fit. I thought it HAD to be a personal thing, that somebody you know has shaped your view, and it turns out that's it heh.