Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Books & Fiction Writing
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-05-2015, 07:06 AM
fanged menace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobCain1971 View Post
Thanks a lot vampyd - I really appreciate that! Nice one.

Paul :-)

ps I've been asking everyone what their favorite horror novel is..?
now thats a question......erm......i honestly think i cant answer that, ive been reading horror fiction for 25 years and ive read 100`s.....erm.....ok it would be a toss up between the stand or rose madder both as you know steven king books, and both those 2 blew me away. i think rose madder is as brutal as it gets due to subject matter, you really loathe norman androot for rose from page 1. the stand is just a sprawling desolate expanse of a book and for 1152 pages it never seems to dawdle or wander. but that being said.....regulators written as richard bachman is also one of my faves as its non stop balls out fun.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:56 AM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampyd1977 View Post
now thats a question......erm......i honestly think i cant answer that, ive been reading horror fiction for 25 years and ive read 100`s.....erm.....ok it would be a toss up between the stand or rose madder both as you know steven king books, and both those 2 blew me away. i think rose madder is as brutal as it gets due to subject matter, you really loathe norman androot for rose from page 1. the stand is just a sprawling desolate expanse of a book and for 1152 pages it never seems to dawdle or wander. but that being said.....regulators written as richard bachman is also one of my faves as its non stop balls out fun.
I agree, The Stand is one of my all time favorites, along with IT, and The Talisman. Also, Dean Koontz' Strangers and Watchers are top notch too.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:53 PM
I am the turtle lord

BLEAH, no one likes koontz or I don't that is.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:47 PM
fanged menace

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglewitch View Post
BLEAH, no one likes koontz or I don't that is.
i do lol, but im in the minority in here.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:43 PM
Paul

Sample from THE KEEP (novella)

Chapter Five

They entered the inner fortress. Behind them the huge gate swung closed, a creak and groan of wood and leather settling into place, which sealed the group inside this wooden behemoth.
A mixture of farmhouses and shabby dwellings surrounded them. Most of the farmhouses had grazing fields out front, separated from each other by crudely erected wooden fences. Even in the poor light the three companions could see the outlines of scrawny livestock – ribs apparent. The animals roamed about lethargically, chewing at the few patches of coarse grass left over by the cruel winter. Squat, stone chimneys jutted out of thatched roofs, crooked and in disrepair, like fallen tombstones, injecting thick, acrid smoke into the cold air. Mixed in with the stench of animal waste the smoke and manure turned the air into an almost un-breathable poison.
As the horse tirelessly pulled the wagon and its three occupants deeper inside this maze of filth, its flanks began to foam with sweat. From within the huts they could see and hear the inhabitants of this dreadful place.
Dressed in soiled rags, most of the village people had hollowed eyes, fixed in faces that were close companions with hunger. And something else. Longing. Fear. Desperation. All these traits appeared present in their hollow eyes. Even the children that were still up at this late hour seemed overly subdued – a youngsters natural exuberance erased from their souls, as if something dark and malignant had singled them out, and siphoned this most essential essence from their spirit.
"Not all seems well in Ragnar's kingdom," Rajk noted.
"I am beginning to think those gates are to keep people in, not out," Anna commented. She felt an ache in her chest. As if a hand had wrapped hard fingers around her beating heart and was squeezing it tightly, forcing not only blood – but also hope, away from this vital organ.
The sad structures became more and more sparse, before eventually they dwindled to just a few dark, soulless abodes. Darkness filled in where solid structures faded, yet this empty blackness felt equal in substance, solid, immobile, unbreakable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KEEP.jpg (23.0 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by JacobCain1971; 02-05-2015 at 11:51 PM.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:48 AM
I am the turtle lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampyd1977 View Post
i do lol, but im in the minority in here.
So that makes me the majority. LOL
Old 02-06-2015, 03:55 AM
Paul

I love Dean Koontz too - so maybe it's evens now..? ;-)
Old 02-06-2015, 03:58 AM
I am the turtle lord

Maybe, there are at least 1000 people on this forum and I am not going to find out how many of them are koontz fans.

Anyway what king of last is that KKKKKKKOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNTTTTTTTTZZZZZZ ZZ.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:01 AM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglewitch View Post
Maybe, there are at least 1000 people on this forum and I am not going to find out how many of them are koontz fans.

Anyway what king of last is that KKKKKKKOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNTTTTTTTTZZZZZZ ZZ.
Okay - will start a poll (just for fun and see who wins)
Old 02-06-2015, 04:06 AM
I am the turtle lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobCain1971 View Post
Okay - will start a poll (just for fun and see who wins)
Let the tournament begin!

90.jpg

Tags
feedback, helpme, horror author