Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Books & Fiction Writing
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-10-2007, 08:47 AM
ali555

Vampire Apocalypse - New Horror Book

My name is Derek Gunn and I write horror fiction, My debut novel, Vampire Apocalypse was released in the US and UK last September by Black Death Books. It's doing pretty well - some good reviews - and the film/tv rights have already been optioned by Hollywood producer, Richard Finney. Here's what he had to say to Fangoria at the end of January:

Fango spoke to producer/screenwriter/former Fango scribe Richard Finney, who recently snapped up the rights to Irish author Derek Gunn’s undead/end-of-the-world novel VAMPIRE APOCALYPSE—A WORLD TORN ASUNDER. Finney, whose credits include last year’s indie chiller THE 8TH PLAGUE and another horror flick called CARVER that’s currently in postproduction, tells us that he plans to “develop the book as a low-budget movie and a TV series.”

Possessing similarities to both George A. Romero’s LAND OF THE DEAD and John Milius’ 1984 Cold War flick RED DAWN, VAMPIRE APOCALYPSE..... was published in September 2006 by KHP Industries under their Black Death Books imprint, and Gunn is currently working on a follow-up novel.

Finney says that he was attracted to Gunn’s twist on the rather played-out vampire genre. “It seems like we’ve [already] seen everything, but this novel puts forth a [new] take on the universe. The original concept will allow us as filmmakers to explore new terrain in the subgenre. Gunn’s story also takes the sexy posturing out of vampires and turns them back to what they are: bloodsucking animals that feed on humans. We’re very excited to be working with an author as clever as Derek!” Stay tuned to Fango for further developments. —Sean Decker

If vampire/apocalyptic stories are your thing, come visit me at www.derekgunn.com to see some reviews and read an excerpt.

Vampire Apocalypse is available to buy from Barnes and Noble, Amazon, Shocklines etc. or you can order through your local bookstore.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:02 PM
ali555

What the critics have been saying.....

Here's a flavour of some of the reviews Vampire Apocalypse has been getting.....I think it's going down well.....

"Gunn's writing style however, is very engaging, particularly his action sequences. They are plentiful, intense, appropriately blood-soaked and will appeal to anyone who enjoys lots of gunplay, close contact fighting, a high body count and assorted carnage, as humans fight tooth and nail to stem the tide of Vampire Apocalypse: a World Torn Asunder.”

Bookloons.com

“Vampire stories have always been hit and miss with me so when I started Vampire Apocalypse I really didn't know what to expect. Three hours and two numb legs later I could say that this story was definitely a HIT. Mr. Gunn has written a action packed, blood soaked thriller that will keep you hooked until the last page. Vampire Apocalypse is like From Dusk till Dawn meets Red Dawn. Action from beginning to end. I am shocked by how much I enjoyed this story. Mr. Gunn has made vampire stories fun again. The genre has been stale for a long time and its about time someone gets it right. This story also begs for a sequel and I can only hope that Mr. Gunn has one in store for us sometime soon.

Vampire Apocalypse is a must read for anyone who likes a great apocalyptic story. It is a fast fun read that never disappoints. Mr. Gunn has made a big splash with this book and I cant wait to see what he gives us next.”

Horrorworld.org.

"They say, if you’re going to write a vampire novel, then you must bring something new to the table. While the rebel strikes and ensuing battles are the heart of Vampire Apocalypse, Gunn does introduce readers to Thralls, who are humans who have been bitten but not yet crossed over, as well as to theories about how vampire blood cells regenerate their bodies and why wooden stakes are deadly.

Vampire Apocalypse should satisfy the thirst of most vampire fans who enjoy a bloody, fast-paced novel."

Hellnotes.com
Old 03-04-2007, 06:53 AM
ali555

Horrorlibrary reviews Vampire Apicalypse

Vampire Apocalypse - New Review at http://www.horrorlibrary.net/index.p...th&date=3/2007

"Gunn’s novel is loads of fun. If you’re up for an action-packed David vs. Goliath story, or perhaps it could be more accurately called a story of an oppressed people rising up against a cruel and evil and literally blood thirsty government, then Vampire Apocalypse is for you.

.....if you have an extra fifteen bucks and you want an entertaining read, give Vampire Apocalypse a go"

Available (or can be ordered) at most booksellers. If you order from Shocklines, they'll even give you full store credit in the unlikely event you don't like it - it's carried under their "New Voices Guarantee" http://shocklines.stores.yahoo.net/vaapwotoasbd.html
Old 03-19-2007, 11:33 AM
ali555

4 1/2 stars out of 5 - new review for Vampire Apocalypse!

Lovevampires.com, March 2007 -
4½ stars out of 5

"Vampire Apocalypse is a fast paced, action packed adventure novel, peopled with realistic and believable characters......the book races from one high point to another and effectively sucks the reader into the story and pulls them along for the ride.

I hugely enjoyed reading this book. I think that if you like reading about ordinary people fighting against overwhelming odds for their freedom you will enjoy reading this book too, regardless or not of whether you like vampire genre fiction.......it is definitely worth checking out.

I’d rate this book at 4.5 stars"

Read the full review at http://www.lovevampires.com/dgapocalypse.html

Vampire apocalypse author, Derek Gunn
www.derekgunn.com