Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Vintage Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-01-2008, 10:03 AM
SteveDestiny

The Long Hair of Death

(1964 B&W 94min NR)

Originally titled "I Lunghi capelli della Morte" this Italian horror classic
stars the gorgeous scream queen Barbara Steele.
I personally would consider this more a gothic story than one of actual horror although it was indeed suspenseful and thrilling.
I'm guessing the film takes place in Italy during the time of the Inquisitions of France???
The story is about a woman, Elizabeth, who's mother was burned at the stake as a witch wrongly accused of murder.
She eventually discovers the true secret involving her mother and her aunts death and the political conspiracy that envelopes her own life as well.
When all seems to be hopelessly lost Helen, Elizabeths mother, returns from the dead disguised as a woman named Mary and exacts revenge on all those
who betrayed her family.
For it's time period the film is excellent, the acting is appropriately malodramatic and theatrical, the sets are eerie and well done, the soundtrack music is suspenseful, the story is mysterious and intriguing and well written.
I highly recommend this film to anyone that enjoys classic black and white horror or suspense movies.
This movie was worth watching just to behold the beauty of Barbara Steele.

Last edited by SteveDestiny; 05-01-2008 at 10:07 AM.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:36 AM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

Excellent film - reminds me a lot of Mask of the Demon/Black Sunday. Hard to believe this was by the guy who did Cannibal Apocalypse..
Old 05-01-2008, 11:02 AM
SteveDestiny

Was Cannibal Appocalypse a very bad film then?
Old 05-01-2008, 11:54 PM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

No not really - lots of fun ad gore - it has John Morgan and John Saxon it and its well worth checking out but at the end of the day its a bit schlocky and the style is soooo different that the Atmospheric Gothic horror of Long Hair.

He made some other good schlocky exploitation too - Killer Fish/Last Hunter/Tiger Joe.

If you want to see some more of the Long Hair style then check out his excellent CASTLE OF BLOOD (also with Steele).
Old 05-02-2008, 11:20 AM
SteveDestiny

Indeed, I saw Nightmare Castle a long time ago, time to re-watch it as I dont remember much about it other than Barbara Steele was in it. I'm thinking it was a bit more tawdry than Long Hair of Death if I recall correctly. Will also be watching 'The She Beast' soon...very soon!
Oh...wait...you said 'Castle of Blood' ... darn it all to hell, I dont seem to have access to that film prsently... must MUST FIND IT!

Last edited by SteveDestiny; 05-02-2008 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:48 AM
SteveDestiny

If only there was 'The Barbara Steele Collection' a DVD with
all or the highlight movies of her career...:mad: