Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-17-2023, 03:06 AM
Evil Dead

The Crazies 1973 ★★★★

This George A Romero jumps straight into the action. An opening scene with two cute children in a house finding a crazy man tearing up the place. In fear, they look for their mommy and... oops.

What Romero does very well is show the chaos that comes with a crisis of this type. In 2022, we can not help but be reminded of the pandemic. But other than that? The inept reponse, the lack of adequate at the place where it is needed,...

Or the bureaucratic top secret hoo ha with the voice recognizer, much to the chagrin of Doctor Watts, a role in which Richard France already shows a few traits that would later come back in Dawn of the dead. One could even argue that The Crazies is sort of a proto-version of Dawn, with this one focusing more on the chaos that ensues (the epithomy of whcih being the scene where Doctor Watts gets quarantained after a misunderstanding), while Dawn starts with the pandimonium and focusses on what comes afterwards.

I was also struck by the sympathy I felt for some of the characters. I felt the same type of sympathy for the Fauci's of this world. I empathise with Peckem, a man doing an unrewarding job under difficult circumstances, with people seemingly existing to make your life a living hell. The frustration of the mayor is understandable and the scene where the policeman dies in a skuffle. He feels awful about it, even when he knows he did the "right thing". And I as a viewer feel for him.

The main characters are a pregnant nurse escaping with her fiancé and two people they come across. Whereas the characters in Dawn get a bit of relief, the air never clears for these people. With the threat coming from either the soldiers looking to kill or quarantaine them or the threat from the virus. Is this person traumatized? Or are they infected? Maybe, maybe not.

Throughout this pandemonium, Romero shows the horror and the creativeness, best shown with the nitting needle kill. All while remaining entertaining.

Well worth watching.
Old 06-17-2023, 03:20 AM
Evil Dead

Dr Jekyll & Sister Hyde 1971 ★★★½

If I had any recollection of really getting in touch with the Hammer films, than it disappeared from my memory. I think I saw one or two before, but I cannot for the life of me remember which, let alone when.

So for comfort's sake, I will consider this one as my introduction to Hammer films. A Dr Jekyll-Jack the Ripper crossover set in nineteenth century London. Now that I think of it, there is a tv film on Jack The Ripper with Michael Caine that also features Jekyll and Hyde. Wonder if this parallel goes any further.

I must say, for an early seventies horror, the special effects are already a tad bit underwhelming. I realise it's not fair (It's still six years until Dawn), but even more than ye old English, the old time stabbey fun give it more of a vintage vibe. This looks more like it was filmed in the (early) fifties than in the seventies. Apart from a few good looking hand transformation scenes.

This puts the emphasis more on the drama and the characters and that is well done. First of all, the Sister Hyde-idea adds a nice twist to the classic Jekyll and Hyde story. Secondly, and in hindsight more importantly, it inadvertently opens up the possibility to interpret this as a pro transgender movie. A lot more than, say, Sleepaway Camp.

The upstairs neighbours see Sister Hyde and just accept her at face value. She looks like a woman, eats like a woman, walks like a woman and (probably) swims like a woman, so it's probably... Howard even makes out with Sister Hyde and never is the wiser.

The story also decides to make Sister Hyde a killer as well, perhaps even more ruthless and vicious than Doctor Jekyll is. From her stance and inflection, you can deduct that she would have no trouble dealing with the seedy types where Jekyll acquires his “research material” or putting them in their places.

The movie owes a great deal to the actors. Ralph Bates and Martine Beswick do the best as the disturbed Jekyll and the wicked Hyde. The rest were perhaps not great, but not terrible either. The costumes also add to the athmosphere, as well as that typical English. The only line missing was something akin to 'I say, old girl, you just stabbed me. Stuck ya throat cutter in me neck, you did.' And, lest we forget, a nice dramatic conclusion with perhaps a nod to King Kong.

A good start for my Hammer exploration and a recommendation for every Hammer enthusiast who has not seen this one yet.

Alien 1979 ★★★★★

For someone so used to streaming and watching TV at your own tempo as I am, spending the weekend with relatives does have its perks. Like reintroducing you to watching linear tv. My face when I think “oh cool, Alien is on”. The anticipation, the aimless channel flipping to kill time. Also, the downers. If you doze off during the film, there is no rewinding here, baby. Haha.

To be honest, I thought I had already written my review for this one, but maybe I was mistaking. Perhaps partly because the first thought on my mind was “What can I say or add”. And that in itself says a lot. Alien is one of those tried and true classics that stood the test of time and never gets old. Even on a fifth or tenth rewatch.

From the very start, you can tell the difference. Where Star Wars and other films were grand and majestuous and clean, this one is dirty and grimey. The main thing is the cargo and the crew's comfort is not all that important. Hence, the banter and complaining about the food. And subtly foreshadowing the later reveal.

The tension is palpable. Partly due to the fact that the danger can come from pretty much everywhere and that there is neither an escape route or help coming. In space no one can hear you scream indeed. And that's supposing anyone would want to send help in the first place. As Mother puts it after some pushing by Ripley... “crew expendable”. And Ash? Well, he's a robot anyway, so, you know... but still, that reveal scene still stands as well.

Another reason is the nature of the Xenomorph. The speed with which it evolves and grows, its size, the fact that you cannot shoot it or that its “blood” easily melts through the floors and ceilings,... and once it gets you, you're a goner. Like when Dallas gets it.

But the first kill is the most iconic. John Hurt convulsing in agony, not knowing what is happening to his body before the Alien bursts out. A terrifying way to go. Reinforced by the reactions of the other crew members. Horror afficionados probably already know the story of how Ridley Scott deliberately kept the crew in the dark about the specifics of the scene in order to make the terror on their faces as genuine as possible. Poor Veronica Cartwright, whose face was completely covered in blood.

However, she is not the main star of the movie. That honour goes to Sigourney Weaver. She can convey the determination and the take no crap-attitude that makes her the badass she still is. Not to mention being right all the time. Don't bring in Kane with the facehugger still on him... Oh crap, they did. Motherf...

And the ending sequience in the escape pod... phoah. You feel for Ellen as she gets in her suit with fear pulsating in every part of her body. Or how she rallies herself by singing “lucky star”. As much as I can empathize with Ridley Scotts frustration (spending the entire production penny pinching and arguing about money and then in five seconds a truckload of money heads out the door), even he has to admit in hindsight that it worked. And her relief as she signs off is the perfect ending to a timeless.

A must see for every horror fan and every cinephile in general.

Christmas Evil 1980 ★★

Two Christmas movies, only suitable for the time of year. Although, this one...

Being a non-American, I have never had the “pleasure” of watching a faith based movie in general, let alone a Pureflix movie. But based on their reputation and things I heard on YT, this one approaches their levels of what the fuckery.
Old 06-17-2023, 03:30 AM
Evil Dead

The Return of the Living Dead 1985 ★★★★½

What a way to celebrate New year's Eve. Wolfing down (cult) classics.

I absolutely love this one. It has more ham than a parmesan butcher and so many screams even Shaggy and Scooby would say that it's a bit too much.

And does The English patient have 45 grave on the soundtrack? I believe not.

Return of the Living Dead Part II 1988 ★★★

All in all a fun watch, but not the over the top balls to the wall fun that part 1 was.

Invitation to Hell 1984 ★★★

When shitty days come up with a nice surprise. Like stumbling across a Craven-flick you never heard of before.

Invitation to hell is tv movie and it shows. The title being but the first example. The intro being a good second. A guy in a car just mowes down a lady in the middle of the road. She gets up without a scar or bruise, points her fingergun at him and shoots him on fire. Leading to him burning to death in agony. And of course offscreen because tv movie. What the hell?

A family moves to silicon valley where the dad gets a big job at a tech company. So you would think that they have it made. Nope. In order to really go places, they have to join the... country club. A country club of course run by the killer lady from the opening. That has more to it than meets the eye.

It's not up there with his classics like ANOES or The hills have eyes, but it's still solid. Even under these circumstances, what with the drabness of the story and the limitations in the effects, Craven manages to entertain and deliver a decent flick with a fairly smooth pace, while at the same time ticking off all the tropes.
Old 06-18-2023, 01:32 AM
Evil Dead

NIGHTMARE SISTERS (1986). Three less than glamorous College girls hold a seance which turns them into sexy killing machines.
Direct to video release scores by having three premier "Scream Queens" in the cast; Linnea Quigley, Brooke Stevens and Michelle Bauer (the prettiest one for Me), but scenes just drag out, especially those involving the leads get naked and while the "Queens" have charisma (and long careers to boot), the rest of the cast is horrid and it's honestly difficult to make it to the end. *
Old 06-18-2023, 07:28 AM
Evil Dead

Ferris Bueller’s Day Off 1986 ★★★★½

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?
Um, he's sick. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Ferris Bueller's day off is one of the staples of 80s comedy. Along with Beverly Hills Cop, Ghostbusters, Gremlins,... they will never get old and never lose their sting. At least not to my generation.

A great outrageous comedy with plenty of quoatable lines and laugh out loud moments:

the phone call with “mister Peterson”
Jeannie knocking out principle Rooney
Cameron debating on wether or not to go
the post credit scene with Ferris in the shower
Jeannie hooking up with a young Charlie Sheen (who looked low on tigerblood here)
Vito from Do the right thing joyriding with the precious rare Ferrari...
Cameron standing up to his father (side note: At the time or writing I noticed an interesting contrast. Here, the rebellious teenager is the climax after starting off as a good boy. In the much more movie that started my evening (Fall), it starts off with rebellion and ends up with reconcilliation. Sign of the times? What do you think?)

A must watch comedy with, at the core, a message of enjoying life and taking the moment

“Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”
Old 06-18-2023, 07:40 AM
Evil Dead

Basket Case 1982 ★½

Eighties cornball fun that for some reason managed to spawn sequels.

The concept is goofy, the acting is questionable and the kills are sometimes downright laughable.

Campy fun with beer and joints.
Old 06-18-2023, 06:16 PM
病気の

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Jarvis View Post
Basket Case 1982 ★½

Eighties cornball fun that for some reason managed to spawn sequels.

The concept is goofy, the acting is questionable and the kills are sometimes downright laughable.

Campy fun with beer and joints.

Wait. What. One and a half stars??

Masterpiece.
Old 06-19-2023, 12:25 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadbeatAtDawn View Post
Wait. What. One and a half stars??

Masterpiece.
I don't think I would call it a masterpiece, but certainly 1/2* is too low....at least a ***.

CAN'T BUY ME LOVE (1987). Decent comedy of a nerd paying his gorgeous neighbor money to pose as his girlfriend for a month, so He can be part of the "cool" crowd. His social stature rises, but He loses sight of who He really is and the price for that loss is quite sobering. Better than I thought with Patrick Dempsey ("McDreamy" from GREY'S ANOTOMY) pretty good. ***
Old 06-23-2023, 11:35 PM
Evil Dead

Down by Law 1986 ★★½

A not too terribly interesting Jim Jarmusch-movie. Apart from a few funny moments, like the we all scream for icecream raindance, it was not very memorable.

Benigni was pretty funny, though.

Cheerleader Camp 1988 ★★

A slasher from the end of the eighties slasher era. Formulaic and by the numbers. Based on the opening shot, you would expect a much bigger kill count. Now we stick with a half dozen.

At least the bitchy contest leader – or whatever you want to call her – gets it.
Old 06-23-2023, 11:53 PM
Evil Dead

Dune 1984 ★★★★

A bewildering (it's Lynch, so duh), but intriguing movie. David Lynch had an interesting venture into sci-fi. Lynch tapped into the majestic type of sci fi and added an artsy, philosophical layer that I certainly want to explore further sometime in the future.

Kyle McLachlan was good in this and it was fun seeing a pre-Picard Patrick Stewart.

Also, this has a scene in which Kyle McLachlan kills Sting. And you just know... that somewhere ... Stewart Copeland is going "Yaaaassss!!!"

Horror High 1973 ★★

Seventies horror with a suitably groovy score. Sadly, the story was not very intriguing and the kill count was a tad lowish.

One or two good kills saved it, though.