Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Upcoming Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-28-2010, 09:09 AM
Ziggy Played Guitar

Send a message via MSN to ferretchucker Send a message via Skype™ to ferretchucker
Do Remakes REALLY bother you?

They annoy me a bit, yes. I find it annoying that writers have run out of ideas and so feel the need to simply tweak someone else's hard work but really, that's as far as it goes. I sometimes enjoy seeing old characters back on the big screen in a different light.

And as I think someone said here, unless they tape over every copy of the original to make the film it doesn't hurt the original. So long as people are aware (which they aren't always) that the original exists I don't mind. And even if people who see the remake first prefer it just because they saw it first, does that matter? Their opinions on films can't hurt you unless they shove your head in a blender until you agree with them.

The Ferrets like it...
Old 02-28-2010, 09:14 AM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
Remakes bother me when movies with personal style get broken down and turned into something dull.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:29 AM
Scares Little Kids

Send a message via Skype™ to sgambino
I would like to see new fresh movies. I'm getting tired of all these remakes coming out. Doesn't anyone have any new ideas? There are some awesome books out there that I think should be made into movies.

http://sherigambino.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1458856122#!/profile.php?v=wall&id=1458856122
Old 02-28-2010, 09:35 AM
Cranky

First of all, writers have not run out of ideas. Remakes are the products of the Hollywood money machine that has hit upon a marketing ploy that is easy and nearly foolproof. Take the title from a movie 10 or more years old that has some kind of audience recognition behind it, hire a writer who will churn out a rehash for a low wage, hitting upon the elements the marketing department says are what the audiences want to see, and the rest is easy, with at least a modest profit guaranteed.

As such, nearly all horror movie remakes are cynical bastardizations of far more original and interesting ideas. So, yes, that bothers the crap out of me. Hey Joe, we've got the rights to the title of this old movie- let's redo it and WE'LL MAKE IT IN THREE DEE!!! Well shoot me in the face and bury me six feet under- I thought filmmaking was about telling a story, not about mesmerizing brains with shiny toys flying off the screen.

Remakes are a pox on the market because precious resources go into making these knockoff inferior examples of filmmaking CRAFT, instead of financing original works of ART that could lead to the emergence of new original talent that could enrich the world in a far greater way than any number of lame-ass retread, inferior by the numbers remakes ever can.

YES, REMAKES BOTHER THE FUCK OUT ME.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 02-28-2010, 09:44 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
First of all, writers have not run out of ideas. Remakes are the products of the Hollywood money machine that has hit upon a marketing ploy that is easy and nearly foolproof. Take the title from a movie 10 or more years old that has some kind of audience recognition behind it, hire a writer who will churn out a rehash for a low wage, hitting upon the elements the marketing department says are what the audiences want to see, and the rest is easy, with at least a modest profit guaranteed.

As such, nearly all horror movie remakes are cynical bastardizations of far more original and interesting ideas. So, yes, that bothers the crap out of me. Hey Joe, we've got the rights to the title of this old movie- let's redo it and WE'LL MAKE IT IN THREE DEE!!! Well shoot me in the face and bury me six feet under- I thought filmmaking was about telling a story, not about mesmerizing brains with shiny toys flying off the screen.

Remakes are a pox on the market because precious resources go into making these knockoff inferior examples of filmmaking CRAFT, instead of financing original works of ART that could lead to the emergence of new original talent that could enrich the world in a far greater way than any number of lame-ass retread, inferior by the numbers remakes ever can.

YES, REMAKES BOTHER THE FUCK OUT ME.

I'm not one for plagiarism but I'm tempted to use this haha. Agreed 100%.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:07 AM
Wannabe Zombie

Send a message via AIM to GothamUndead
No, they don't bother me. I may not like it when a movie like Nightmare on Elm Street is remade, but it doesn't stop me from just enjoying it. I can't argue against a lot of the points that neverending brought up nor would I want to. I'm usually care free about the movies I see, maybe I'm a sheep or whatever but I just enjoy movies.

I think the problem actually rests with the people who actually are bothered by the remakes that still continue to shell out the cash to see it. Vote with your wallet, or your torrents if you wish, but if you don't like it, don't want to see more of it, don't pay for it otherwise it will continue to happen. What will they do without their money?
Old 02-28-2010, 10:20 AM
horrormovies.com veteran

Send a message via AIM to DeadKlown
i like remakes for pretty much one reason and that is technological advancements. plus most of the time i havent seen the original....there was a lot of stuff before 1984
Old 02-28-2010, 11:03 AM
Cranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadKlown View Post
i like remakes for pretty much one reason and that is technological advancements. plus most of the time i havent seen the original....there was a lot of stuff before 1984
If you haven't seen the original, how do you know the remake has "technological advancements?"

Do these alleged "technological advancements" really make up for awful acting and lame storytelling?

Is the dazzle of an effect really worth shelling out your $10 for?

Well, I guess it's logical, really. If you've grown up on a diet of inferior product, that's what you come to expect, and you think it's good. Or at least acceptable.

If you grow up eating McDonald's, you have no idea what a joy a real hamburger can give you.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 02-28-2010, 12:00 PM
horrormovies.com veteran

Send a message via AIM to DeadKlown
iv never seen the original wolfman but the remake looks kool
Old 02-28-2010, 12:29 PM
Midnight toker

For me, remakes represent a saftey first style of cinema that doesn't really excite me. I can watch remakes and I can even enjoy the odd one here and there, but when I look at the budget of these productions all I see is millions of dollars worth of wasted opportunities. Of course they don't stop me enjoying the originals, but I can't help but wish the money would've been invested in original concepts and fresh ideas.