Old 06-13-2018, 06:29 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsaw Killer View Post
Think I mentioned Jurassic Park before. Not sure if the series counts as Horror although in a way I consider it Horror-y. The upcoming Fallen Kingdom definitely seems to be emphasizing the Horror/monster film aspects much more. In any event, the original is very easily the best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvablePsycho View Post
I consider it to be horror even if it technically isn't. Seeing dinosaurs eat people is pretty freaky.
I've always considered the first Jurassic Park to be a horror movie. If you watch that film there is no doubt what scenes the film is building up to, which the horror of the dinosaurs chasing people around. It's not really much different than your Empire of the Ants, or Kingdom of the Spiders, Piranha or even King Kong type films... a horror adventure sci-fi...

Old 06-13-2018, 08:13 PM
Evil Dead

The original novel by Michael Crichton is without a doubt Horror. Spielberg gave the first film a sort of beautiful, majestic quality which evened out the Horror aspects, but the latter comes in full force during the dinosaur attack scenes. The T-Rex escape and tour car attack and later chasing the jeep, the Dilophosaurus, the Raptors in the maintenence shed and kitchen, etc. all frightening setpieces. Some may argue it isn't Horror but I always considered it a Horror film in the same vein as movies like Jaws. A Sci-Fi/Natural Horror/Adventure hybrid, which it blends all three of very well.

I just started re-reading the original novel and it's incredible how much more graphically violent it is compared with the film. It opens with a pack of Compies eating a baby. Had the movie been more like the novel there's no doubt it'd be an instant NC-17.

Last edited by Jigsaw Killer; 06-13-2018 at 08:16 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:04 AM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

Yeah I completely agree, and some of the sequels were pretty scary too like the one where in the beginning a little girl on vacation with her family got eaten by a bunch of compsognathus. Those kind of scenes were pretty shocking to me as a kid.

It kind of reminded me of the movie Independence Day. I don't think that movie was meant to be 100% horror but it had some pretty scary scenes like when the spaceships started blowing up the cities and when you saw one of the aliens attacking and killing the scientists.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:52 AM
Evil Dead

more sequels

If you count the original Frankenstein movies as a series, I would have to say that even though Frankenstein an excellent movie, Bride of Frankenstein is better. Ernest Thesiger as Dr. Pretorius is a trip!

I have observed before that the problem with sequels is that they get crummier and crummier until you forget how good the first one was.

If they gave titles to sequels now the way they did in the 1930s, it would be Chucky, Bride of Chucky, Son of Chucky, Ghost of Chucky, Ma and Pa Kettle meet Chucky, etc.

When the studios began to make movies like Freddy vs. Jason, they were doing what Universal did when its cycle of horror movies was beginning to run out of steam, e.g., Frankenstein meets the Wolf Man
Old 06-14-2018, 01:26 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvablePsycho View Post
Yeah I completely agree, and some of the sequels were pretty scary too like the one where in the beginning a little girl on vacation with her family got eaten by a bunch of compsognathus. Those kind of scenes were pretty shocking to me as a kid.

It kind of reminded me of the movie Independence Day. I don't think that movie was meant to be 100% horror but it had some pretty scary scenes like when the spaceships started blowing up the cities and when you saw one of the aliens attacking and killing the scientists.

That scene is at the beginning of The Lost World. And a similar scene happens early on in the original novel. The novel is outright horrific at times with it's violence, including when a baby is eaten by a pack of Compies and Nedry's death, where he's disemboweled by the Dilophosaurus. Great as the T-Rex attack in the film is, I felt it was arguably more effective in the novel and there's also the excellent T-Rex river raft chase in the novel, a sequence sadly not yet adapted in the films. I do think the film is better overall, but the novel is absolutely worth a read as well.

Funny you mention Independence Day, as I always felt the alien autopsy scene is where the film went into Horror territory.

What are your picks for the series listed before? Your favorite movie in each?
Old 06-14-2018, 02:56 PM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsaw Killer View Post
What are your picks for the series listed before? Your favorite movie in each?
Some of those movie franchises I really don't care for but I will list some that I personally liked best:

Carrie: The first one (obviously)
Children of the Corn: The first one
Child's Play: Bride of Chucky
Ju-On The Grudge: The second one (talking about the original Japanese movies)
The Ring: The first one (the American remake version)
Pumpkinhead: The first one
The Blair Witch Project: The first one
Jeepers Creepers: The first one
George Romero's zombie movies: Day of the Dead (basically the third one)
The Return of the Living Dead movies: The first one
The Leprechaun Movies: The third one
Old 06-14-2018, 05:08 PM
Evil Dead

Good choices and listings, I forgot some of those series. Which of the ones in the origina post have you seen or not yet?
Old 06-14-2018, 06:27 PM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

I think of all the ones in the first post the only ones I haven't seen are the Saw movies. I've seen just about the rest of those movies at least once.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:35 PM
Evil Dead

I've seen most of the major Horror series although there's a few I either haven't seen, not seen all of or haven't seen in many years.

Of the other series, which would you say as your favorite in each series? Most of mine in the original post are largely still the same, just with a few slight differences since then. Here was my updated list from a few posts back:

Friday The 13th - The Final Chapter
Halloween - 1978 Original
A Nightmare On Elm Street - New Nightmare
Saw - Saw II
Scream - Original
Evil Dead - Evil Dead II
Phantasm - Phantasm II
Alien - Aliens
Predator - Predator 2
Hellraiser - Original
Child's Play - Original
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre - 2003 Remake
Final Destination - Original
Insidious - Chapter 3
The Conjuring - The Conjuring 2
The Purge - Anarchy
Paranormal Activity - Original
Hannibal Lecter - The Silence Of The Lambs
Puppet Master - Puppet Master 4
Maniac Cop - Maniac Cop 2
Romero's Living Dead - Day Of The Dead (1985)
Return Of The Living Dead - Part II
Poltergeist - Poltergeist II
Jurassic Park - Original
Jaws - Original
Cube - Original
Tremors - Original
Leprechaun - Original
Blade - Blade II
Wishmaster - Original
Warlock - Undecided between either of the first two
Amityville - Only seen the original, remake and It's About Time
Resident Evil - Seen the first two, need to see the rest to make fair judgment
Old 06-15-2018, 06:20 PM
Evil Dead

Forgot Re-Animator from that list, haven't seen Beyond Re-Animator yet. The original is among my favorite Horror films and I also quite enjoyed Bride Of Re-Animator when I watched it for the first time last Halloween. I'll check out Beyond when it hits Blu-ray next month.