Old 11-02-2018, 09:28 AM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
"Crazy Horses"-The Osmonds. Whether You like them or not, this song truly rocks!
I never heard this before. This does rock! Can you imagine the alternate reality where 50% of the Osmonds songs were like this?

Interesting story behind it too... wiki:

Singer Merrill Osmond said of the song, "Before that, my brothers and I had been what’s now called a boyband: all our songs were chosen for us by the record company. But now, having been successful, we wanted to freak out and make our own music. We were rehearsing in a basement one day when Wayne started playing this heavy rock riff. I came up with a melody and Alan got the chords. Within an hour, we had the song. I had always been the lead singer, but I sang Crazy Horses with Jay. The line “What a show, there they go, smoking up the sky” had to be sung higher, so I did that and Jay did the verses because his voice was growlier, and this track was heavier than anything we’d ever done." Merrill Osmond also added that the record company initially was skeptical the song would be successful but relented when it performed well in the charts (particularly in the United Kingdom, where the song proved to be a breakthrough for the quintet, as well as much of the rest of Europe).[3]

Jay Osmond said, "The song was recorded at MGM in Hollywood and we added that distinctive “Wah! Wah!” intro sound afterwards. Alan had written the lyrics, which talked about horsepower, and he said: “It’s got to sound like a horse somehow. We tried everything, then finally found something on Donny’s organ that sounded like a neighing stallion."[3]

Donny, the usual co-lead, had no vocal parts because his voice was changing, due to puberty. The record was co-produced by Alan Osmond and Michael Lloyd, who had previously been in the psychedelic rock group The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band.

Jay Osmond said, "Crazy Horses was way ahead of its time. It’s a song about ecology and the environment: those “crazy horses, smoking up the sky” are gas-guzzling cars, destroying the planet with their fumes. We shot the record sleeve in a junkyard, surrounded by big old cars."[3][4]

Censorship
Sales of the song were prohibited in apartheid-era South Africa, where government censors interpreted the word 'horses' as referring to heroin.[5][6][7]

The song was also banned in France when authorities believed the lyric “smoking up the sky” was about drugs.[3]

Last edited by Sculpt; 11-02-2018 at 09:35 AM.
Old 11-04-2018, 05:17 PM
ventricle

For Halloween...

Old 11-07-2018, 12:19 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
I never heard this before. This does rock! Can you imagine the alternate reality where 50% of the Osmonds songs were like this?

Interesting story behind it too... wiki:

Singer Merrill Osmond said of the song, "Before that, my brothers and I had been what’s now called a boyband: all our songs were chosen for us by the record company. But now, having been successful, we wanted to freak out and make our own music. We were rehearsing in a basement one day when Wayne started playing this heavy rock riff. I came up with a melody and Alan got the chords. Within an hour, we had the song. I had always been the lead singer, but I sang Crazy Horses with Jay. The line “What a show, there they go, smoking up the sky” had to be sung higher, so I did that and Jay did the verses because his voice was growlier, and this track was heavier than anything we’d ever done." Merrill Osmond also added that the record company initially was skeptical the song would be successful but relented when it performed well in the charts (particularly in the United Kingdom, where the song proved to be a breakthrough for the quintet, as well as much of the rest of Europe).[3]

Jay Osmond said, "The song was recorded at MGM in Hollywood and we added that distinctive “Wah! Wah!” intro sound afterwards. Alan had written the lyrics, which talked about horsepower, and he said: “It’s got to sound like a horse somehow. We tried everything, then finally found something on Donny’s organ that sounded like a neighing stallion."[3]

Donny, the usual co-lead, had no vocal parts because his voice was changing, due to puberty. The record was co-produced by Alan Osmond and Michael Lloyd, who had previously been in the psychedelic rock group The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band.

Jay Osmond said, "Crazy Horses was way ahead of its time. It’s a song about ecology and the environment: those “crazy horses, smoking up the sky” are gas-guzzling cars, destroying the planet with their fumes. We shot the record sleeve in a junkyard, surrounded by big old cars."[3][4]

Censorship
Sales of the song were prohibited in apartheid-era South Africa, where government censors interpreted the word 'horses' as referring to heroin.[5][6][7]

The song was also banned in France when authorities believed the lyric “smoking up the sky” was about drugs.[3]
That would be quite a Universe, Sculpt! My wife was a big fan when she was a teen (Big crush on Merrill) and she had a lot of their albums. Some good rocking singles (nice Horn work too) like "Yo-Yo", "Hold Her Tight" (sounds like a sped up "Immigrant Song" by Zep) and "Down by the Lazy River".

"Aquarius/Let The Sunshine In"-Fifth Dimension
Old 11-07-2018, 11:39 AM
病気の

Old 11-08-2018, 06:07 PM
Evil Dead

Groove to this Herbie Hancock cover y'all!

Buddy Guy: Watermelon Man (1972)
Old 11-09-2018, 01:05 AM
Evil Dead

"Out of Sight"-Johnny Winter, sounding a lot like James Brown!
Old 11-09-2018, 06:37 AM
Evil Dead

You might wanna get your ears checked, either that or check the connections on your stereo or somethin' Frye...ain't no comparison! Dig this Bob Dylan cover...This is more Johnny's sound.

Johnny Winter: Highway 61 Revisited (1969)
Old 11-09-2018, 07:36 AM
Evil Dead

That pretty experimental tho...a TX blues slide guitar with some of that ol' JB...

Just for that tho..I'm gonna lay some roots on ya right here...the licks and riffs on these cuts are some deep down roots of funk.

James Brown: Get It Together (1967)

James Brown: Make It Good To Yourself (1973)
Old 11-10-2018, 01:23 AM
Evil Dead

"Thunder"-The Runaways
Old 11-11-2018, 08:34 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadbeatAtDawn View Post
I like it. So nice to hear real these days.

Tags
ear candy