Old 03-15-2019, 03:12 PM
That fucking Guy...

So...has anyone heard about this?

Opening weekend the movie is meant to have done quite well.
At the same time, there was people posting pictures from inside Captain Marvel sessions...and the cinemas are pretty empty?

There's been some (cinema) insiders claiming that for every session "x-amount" of tickets have been pre-purchased, for sessions that have been left relatively empty, and nobody has claimed any of these tickets for refund.
Another insider who wanted to remain anonymous said that in his smell cinema, for every session at least 25 of these no-show tickets had occurred. Again. No refund.

That and the weirdness that's been going on with a lot of cinemas on opening weekend bringing showings of all other films down to a bare minimum, or in some cases, cancelling all other sessions.

So the theory is, Disney may have been both coercing cinemas into making it largely the "only film available, and manipulating the box office perception of this movie on opening weekend as a face saving move.
I mean, not sure how this would help them financially...so if it's true, this is really not good.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:25 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheebacheeba View Post
So...has anyone heard about this?

Opening weekend the movie is meant to have done quite well.
At the same time, there was people posting pictures from inside Captain Marvel sessions...and the cinemas are pretty empty?

There's been some (cinema) insiders claiming that for every session "x-amount" of tickets have been pre-purchased, for sessions that have been left relatively empty, and nobody has claimed any of these tickets for refund.
Another insider who wanted to remain anonymous said that in his smell cinema, for every session at least 25 of these no-show tickets had occurred. Again. No refund.

That and the weirdness that's been going on with a lot of cinemas on opening weekend bringing showings of all other films down to a bare minimum, or in some cases, cancelling all other sessions.

So the theory is, Disney may have been both coercing cinemas into making it largely the "only film available, and manipulating the box office perception of this movie on opening weekend as a face saving move.
I mean, not sure how this would help them financially...so if it's true, this is really not good.
Who would be purchasing these tickets where 25 folks wouldn't show and not get refund??? Disney? That's a lot of money to spend just to have it announced Marvel was had a good opening weekend... unless the Marvel project was still trying to take in investors, which I don't think happens at this point. Of course Disney wants to keep Disney stock up (and sell more), but I'm not sure how much would really hinge on one film's opening weekend... Some, but not to spend millions on buying tickets, I wouldn't think.

I think there's naturally a fair number of no shows, and people just don't get the refund before the show starts, or never if it's too late to get a refund. Just guessing.

But it would be interesting if there was something to Disney pressuring theatres to remove film competition. Again, I don't see Disney giving them money for that... Plus I don't think Disney produces such a great percentage of films that they could scare theatre chains into doing this.

Last edited by Sculpt; 03-15-2019 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-16-2019, 12:32 AM
That fucking Guy...

Quote:
Who would be purchasing these tickets where 25 folks wouldn't show and not get refund??? Disney?
That's the theory.

Quote:
not sure how much would really hinge on one film's opening weekend... Some, but not to spend millions on buying tickets, I wouldn't think.
Well, this is a character that they've announced that they want to be the new "face of the MCU" going forwards...so it might might just be one film and it's opening weekend, rather...could negatively effect other films going forward, to a point.
That, and the overall perception of the whole Disney/Marvel saga is already not looking so shiny for them, damage control is understandable. Methods seem questionable if there's anything to all this.

I know there was a big point made that people were unfairly trashing and "trolling" the movie prior to it's release, though most I ever saw was people saying "ok then, fuck it, I won't go".
But yeah apparently this huge opening weekend for them was "defeating the trolls", but if it wasn't a win...it wasn't a win...people know this.

Quote:
I think there's naturally a fair number of no shows, and people just don't get the refund before the show starts, or never if it's too late to get a refund. Just guessing.
That I get, but the specificity of "25 per show", not returned, lends itself to the theory that these tickets have been kept, in order to artificially boost their numbers.

Quote:
But it would be interesting if there was something to Disney pressuring theatres to remove film competition. Again, I don't see Disney giving them money for that...
I absolutely do.

Quote:
Plus I don't think Disney produces such a great percentage of films that they could scare theatre chains into doing this.
They do make a fair amount of films, and I'm not just talking about Disney brand Disney. There's now all the Marvel and Lucasfilm stuff too, and Pixar if you wanna seperate that from the mother brand. It's all linked in, it's all a money making machine. The movies. The shows. The clothing. The toys.
They've got MONEY behind them...and a lot.
CCA coerces shops into only carrying their drink brands all the time.
Pepsico on the other side of that.
Big/popular brands CAN exert pressure to maintain exclusivity or to outweigh the competition. Products pay for shelf space and prominence - a multimedia giant could definitely do the same on a larger scale.
I mean did they?
Did they not?
Who knows...but the evidence was there for anyone looking online at a movie cinema guide on opening weekend. The cases I've seen are everywhere and on multiple cinema sites - other movies have had WAY less screenings in way less cinemas, in some it was nothing BUT Captain Marvel showing, and they weren't just little independent one-screen cinemas either.

That and hundreds of bot accounts giving the exact same positive review all over the place, word for word, under different names.

I don't think the truth will ever fully come out...but I believe people have been paid off, yes, and both the box office numbers of this movie and the ratings it's been given have been for the larger part a huge farce.

I honestly believe this might be one of the biggest face saving cover ups in movie history...and not because it's a "bad" film.
Nobody has really given it horrible reviews, most are "it's ok, but not great"...
It's fallout - and they don't want it known that people ARE actually in control of how well a film does, they won't be disrespected and if they are, it's dollars down the drain.
No, rather...they pull this shit so they can say "We didn't need you anyway, look at the numbers", and evidently, this might keep their shareholders happy?

This is a slippery slope here...the audience should be able to speak, and the public should be able to voice concerns or comment about conduct of those involved without being auto-labelled as a misogynist/sexist/troll.

Whole thing is a joke and I think this is the beginning of the end for whatever good was left in the MCU.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:41 AM
ventricle

If there's something to it, sounds like a hot story. Plus, it's free adv for the film either way. If you see a news story about it, give us a link

I'm no fan of disney or Cap Marvel, but it looks like the film is doing fairly well, wiki shows close to $600m worldwide already on the mild budget of $175m... but it also reads an ad budet of $300m, and they'll need $750m worldwide to break even. Breaking even is fine for the movie makers, but not great for investors.

Wiki includes this about the RT 'want to see' issue:

Quote:
Ahead of the film's release, Captain Marvel's "Want to See" score—an audience anticipation poll on Rotten Tomatoes—had fallen to 28%.[169] Reports described the decline as an effort by some to review-bomb the film's page with negative comments attacking the film and Larson for their perceived feminism.[170] Rotten Tomatoes changed the "Want to See" feature shortly after, showing only the number of people indicating interest in the film instead of a percentage. The announcement said this was part of a larger redesign of the site.[171][169] By 8 am on opening day in the United States, the film held a 33% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes from more than 58,000 reviews, which was more audience reviews than Avengers: Infinity War had during its entire theatrical run. Analysts attributed the low score and sheer number of reviews to online trolling. Rotten Tomatoes later stated a bug was responsible for the high count of reviews, and by 1 pm the number of counted ratings was down to 7,000 with an audience score of 35%.[172] As of March 15, 2019, the audience score was at 62% based on 66,928 reviews.[158]
RT has critics 79, audience 62.