Old 10-15-2017, 08:24 PM
病気の

Cabin 28, 2017. 3/10

Based on a true unsolved murder in 1981 in which The Strangers movie was also based off of. I didn't know that.

The accents were horrendous and the characters were..well stupid. I wanted the mother dead within the first 20 mins or so. We have super killers that are stabbed and hit with a baseball bat and move as if unscathed. *sigh* The music score horrible. That's it.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:45 PM
HDC's werewolf enthusiast

Victor Frankenstein

Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but still over-sexualized, both monsters were CGI, how the hell did "Igor" get so smart being a clown and punching bag in the circus, and even though I enjoyed McAvoy's performance, I think he was channeling a little too much Robert Downey Jr. (more specifically his performance in Sherlock Holmes (which this movie also shares too much slow motion in common)).

The story had a good idea, but bad direction. I would've liked to have seen this with an adult writing the story for an adult audience, instead of by tweens for tweens.

So far in recent years, we've had a Dracula reboot, Mummy reboot, and Frankenstein reboot. But out of all of them, The Wolfman is still the best.
...I actually haven't even seen the Mummy yet but I'm keeping my opinion as just cold hard fact.

Supposed to be happy, but I'm only getting colder. Wear a smile on my face, but there's a demon inside.
Free to use signature images and avatars!
Old 10-16-2017, 08:40 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadbeatAtDawn View Post
Cabin 28, 2017. 3/10

Based on a true unsolved murder in 1981 in which The Strangers movie was also based off of. I didn't know that.

The accents were horrendous and the characters were..well stupid. I wanted the mother dead within the first 20 mins or so. We have super killers that are stabbed and hit with a baseball bat and move as if unscathed. *sigh* The music score horrible. That's it.
That's a great clown mask though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roiffalo View Post
Victor Frankenstein

Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but still over-sexualized, both monsters were CGI, how the hell did "Igor" get so smart being a clown and punching bag in the circus, and even though I enjoyed McAvoy's performance, I think he was channeling a little too much Robert Downey Jr. (more specifically his performance in Sherlock Holmes (which this movie also shares too much slow motion in common)).

The story had a good idea, but bad direction. I would've liked to have seen this with an adult writing the story for an adult audience, instead of by tweens for tweens.

So far in recent years, we've had a Dracula reboot, Mummy reboot, and Frankenstein reboot. But out of all of them, The Wolfman is still the best.
...I actually haven't even seen the Mummy yet but I'm keeping my opinion as just cold hard fact.
Oversexualized? that's kind of weird for a PG-13 Frankenstein film, you know, if it isn't Frankenstein Creates Woman or something... "By tweens for tweens"... ack! that sounds revolting... I'm interested in seeing various takes on the Frankenstein story, but I don't want to see a tween film. I didn't want to see a tween film when I was a tween, that is revolting.

Old 10-17-2017, 01:04 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Brawl in Cell Block 99 (2017)

From the director of BONE TOMAHAWK (2015), this is one hell of a gritty & violent, character driven crime-drama starring Vince Vaughn as Bradley Thomas..an uncompromising, badass drug runner who lands in a prison battleground after a deal gets wrong. Good to see Udo Kier & Don Johnson (as a Prison Warden) after a long time.

The director is doing another crime-drama DRAGGED ACROSS CONCRETE starring Mel Gibson & Vince Vaughn; Udo Kier & Don Johnson also returning in supporting roles. Very much looking forward to see that next year.

>>: B+

The Sound (2017)

One of the dullest horror films seen in years.

>>: D
Old 10-17-2017, 04:10 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshiq View Post
The Sound (2017)

One of the dullest horror films seen in years.

>>: D
LOL! I gave up on "The Sound" a couple months back... and I'm a radio DJ and parapsychology fan, which is why I watched part of it, and probably why I bailed.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:08 AM
No, fuck YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshiq View Post
Brawl in Cell Block 99 (2017)

From the director of BONE TOMAHAWK (2015), this is one hell of a gritty & violent, character driven crime-drama starring Vince Vaughn as Bradley Thomas..an uncompromising, badass drug runner who lands in a prison battleground after a deal gets wrong. Good to see Udo Kier & Don Johnson (as a Prison Warden) after a long time.

The director is doing another crime-drama DRAGGED ACROSS CONCRETE starring Mel Gibson & Vince Vaughn; Udo Kier & Don Johnson also returning in supporting roles. Very much looking forward to see that next year.

>>: B+

D

Damn, what a movie.

This writer/director just keeps crapping out gold.

9/10
Old 10-19-2017, 12:41 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
Happy Death Day (2017)

The definition of "meh" - watchable, but lots of wasted potential here. The whole show hinges on Jessica Rothe's performance, and she's excellent (so is most of the supporting cast), but otherwise there's not much here to get excited about. Concept could have taken this to some really cool places, but it was really underexplored.

Plus - and minor spoilers here, I suppose - the whole thing is surprisingly bloodless. Lots of stabbings, very little creativity in terms of kills / set pieces. Also, the ending is super lame.

Thought this would be a cool little high concept slasher for the modern day...turns out it's just another half-baked teen flick (albiet with a solid cast and a handful of decent laughs)
Old 10-19-2017, 04:20 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Return View Post
[B]... the whole thing is surprisingly bloodless. Lots of stabbings ...
I got to say, that part gave me a good laugh! Thanks, Return!

And I know what you mean, so many films have a worthwhile concept, but do next to nothing with it. Nice flowing dialogue, good looking people, and decent actors, are all well and good, but it's just so freakin boring at this point.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:11 AM
Evil Dead

Jackals 2017
Old 10-20-2017, 10:46 AM
End Of Everything

Housebound (Gerard Johnstone) 3/5
The Babadook (Jennifer Kent) 4/5

Tags
movie