Old 03-10-2009, 04:53 AM
Top Of The World Ma!!

Preacher

recently bought and read the series.

I have mixed feelings about this one. the story was interesting ... i liked the artwork... but for the most part it left me kind of cold.

i found too much of it forced. every gunshot had to tear a face or limb off. every badguy spoke exactly the same way (incredibly foul mouths)

The messages were (as they say) as subtle as a flying mallet.

the anti religious diatribe was in your face - it reminded me of those kinds of kids that try to shock older people by saying these 'profoundly sacriligeous' things (when the older people - with brains - just roll their eyes)

i dunno ... parts were ok. most of it was pretty obvious and overstated.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:00 AM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
I definitely agree. Mature religious satire is almost nowhere to be found. Christianity is frought with hypocrisy? Really? I've been sending every cent I earn to the 700 Club since they're the only ones who seem to know the score. Obnoxious atheism is as socially harmful as obnoxious zealotry. It means there's nobody having a dialogue with the zealots.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:25 PM
whatever gets you through

i was reading preacher when it was coming out - loved it for awhile then it got so extreme. twisted and nasty. i don't mind nasty if it serves a purpose but it felt gratuitous. the ending was quite good though (i finally finished it in the graphic novel form)