Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-31-2010, 10:34 PM
For Vendetta

After Dark Horrorfest 4

Lionsgate presents the fourth installment of the After Dark Horrorfest 8 Films to Die For with a new horrifying collection of DVDs from the popular national film festival.

The DVDs included are Lake Mungo, The Graves, Dread, Zombies of Mass Destruction, Hidden, The Final, Kill Theory and The Reeds.

These films will be released theatrically nationwide in top markets around the country the week of January 29th.

Each year, the collection brings together some of the best in independent horror filmmaking. The 2010 collection of After Dark Horrorfest 8 Films to Die For is available as single DVDs or all together as a DVD box set and as digital downloads.

In Lake Mungo, sixteen-year-old Alice Palmer drowns while swimming in the local dam. When her body is recovered and a verdict of accidental death returned, her grieving family buries her. The family then experiences a series of strange and inexplicable events centered in and around their home. Profoundly unsettled, the Palmers seek the help of psychic and parapsychologist, Ray Kemeny. Ray discovers that Alice led a secret, double life. A series of clues lead the family to Lake Mungo where Alice's secret past emerges. Quietearth.com states, the film "...doesn't need to rely on gimmicks to get under your skin," while The Hollywood Reporter declared, "A convincing mock-documentary style lifts 'Lake Mungo' beyond spooky supernatural mystery into the realms of emotional truth-telling." The DVD features the theatrical trailer.

From the creator of the legendary comics Evil Ernie and Lady Death, comes The Graves. On their last weekend together, Megan and Abby Graves are lost in a remote part of the Arizona desert where they are lured to Skull City Mine, an abandoned mine town. But they soon learn Skull City is anything but abandoned - and there's no way out. The sisters are now prey, forced to unleash their most primitive instincts in a desperate, all-out battle for survival against unspeakable horrors - both human and supernatural. The DVD features two audio commentaries plus a couple of featurettes, audition and script read footage, a music video, "Spot the Gnome" game and the downloadable original script.

Produced by Clive Barker and adapted from his Books of Blood collection by Anthony DiBlasi (screenwriter), Dread follows Stephen (Jackson Rathbone, The Twilight Saga) and Cheryl (Laura Donnelly), college students making a documentary about what people dread in life. But they have no idea that their partner, Quaid (Shaun Evans), witnessed his parents being murdered by an axe-wielding lunatic and wants to make others experience his own personal horror. Called "one of the finest Clive Barker adaptations to date," by Shocktillyoudrop.com, "Dread delivers on all chilling counts," according to Fangoria.com. The DVD contains the featurette "Facing the Fear: Behind the Scenes of Dread," plus "A Conversation with Clive Barker and Director Anthony Diblasi" and deleted scenes.

A conservative island community is under attack! Port Gamble, Washington is being overrun with brain eaters, and the people seem powerless to stave them off. A rag tag band of rebels led by Frida, an Iranian college student suspected of being an Iraqi terrorist, and Tom, a gay businessman who has returned to town with his partner to come out to his mother, tries to turn the tide and push the invading hoards of undead back. Called "the best of its type since Shaun of the Dead," Filmthreat.com states, "Zombies of Mass Destruction is a limb-shucking, eye-gouging hoot, full of both disemboweled stomachs and belly laughs." The DVD contains the "Making of Zombies of Mass Destruction" featurette.

With his mother's passing, KK returns home after nineteen years to settle her estate. But with his heritage comes dark and deadly secrets. Having spent the last two decades trying to forget his cruel mother and his past life in the creepy house in the woods, KK finds that there are some things you just can't run from. Thefreshfilms.com declares "...Hidden is bordering on greatness."

Dane, an awkward student with a deadly vendetta, leads a group of outcasts who plot to avenge the years of humiliation they faced by the popular students at Hohn High School. The outcasts turn the tables on the popular students who made sport of them and prepare for a single night that will leave their tormentors scarred for life. The DVD of The Final features audio commentary with the producer and director plus behind the scenes footage and a deleted scene.

Seven college students visit a secluded vacation home to celebrate graduation and become trapped in a deadly game by a mysterious killer. Forced to kill one another by 6 am the following morning, only one of them can remain alive. Whoever remains will be allowed to walk away with his or her life. However, if morning comes and more than one is still breathing, everyone dies. Friends and couples must test their trust as the clock ticks away. Some will fight for love, some to survive, but all will change. Because deep down... we're all killers. The DVD special features include the featurette "Kill Theory: Behind the Scenes" plus two alternate openings and a deleted scene.

A weekend boating party turns into a nightmare for a group of young Londoners when they stumble upon a terrifying secret hidden in "The Reeds".

Pricing: DVD $19.98 each
Pricing: DVD Box Set $159.98
Old 02-01-2010, 10:33 PM
BuyTheTicket, TakeTheRide

Cant wait to see Dread. Kill theory looks good too. ZOMD seems like a fun movie to watch. Any opinions on the other movies.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:12 AM
For Vendetta

*looking left and right*

Where the heck did Chrono go?
Old 02-02-2010, 10:25 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post
*looking left and right*

yeah. I hope soon she'll be here with the reviews & ratings.:)

I have only seen 3 out 8 of this 4th Horrorfest bunch luckily already:

Kill Theory...I think I saw it almost a year ago. A time passing okay slasher with some hot chicks. My rating: 2.5/5

Dread-- A nice film adaptation of Barker's story. 3/5

Lake Mungo--Seen lately. A dull mocumentary with some images & few cell phone vdos. Not scary/creepy at all. 2/5.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:04 AM
BuyTheTicket, TakeTheRide

As long as they did dread right im happy. The books of blood series is great and its seems tough to adapt some of his stories into movies. Midnight Meat Train being the best.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:44 PM
www.DarkRegions.com

I always see these DVDs at Walmarts and always come close to buying one but never do. Are these worth the money?

Join our ongoing horror books raffle at:
http://www.horrorbooksraffle.com
Old 02-06-2010, 07:15 AM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post
*looking left and right*

hahaha - Thanks for taking up the slack, V. I definitely dropped the ball this year. Horrorfest was only playing for one weekend and the closest theater was over an hour away. I will have to Netflix them and report back with my usual verbose enthusiasm.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 02-06-2010, 07:20 AM
No, fuck YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
hahaha - Thanks for taking up the slack, V. I definitely dropped the ball this year. Horrorfest was only playing for one weekend and the closest theater was over an hour away. I will have to Netflix them and report back with my usual verbose enthusiasm.

Less talking, more watching. Chop chop
Old 02-06-2010, 07:22 AM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Morey View Post
I always see these DVDs at Walmarts and always come close to buying one but never do. Are these worth the money?
If you're interested, check out my reviews and the reviews of other HDC'ers:

http://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47161

The ones that I think are DEFINITELY worth checking out:
  • Rinne
  • Crazy Eights
  • Mulberry Street
  • Borderland
  • Autopsy
  • From Within

Old 02-06-2010, 07:23 AM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angra View Post
Less talking, more watching. Chop chop
I'll make it my #1 priority. But just for you.