October 1st.

Carnival of Souls (1962)

Old 10-02-2020, 12:52 AM
I kick ass for the lord!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadbeatAtDawn View Post
October 1st.

Carnival of Souls (1962)

Love that movie, saw that when I was a kid, and it tripped me out.
Old 10-02-2020, 11:04 AM
Guitarist Extraordinaire

The Black Cat (1934)

My girlfriend hates Horror movies. Over the last few years I've tried to slowly introduce her to them. We started simple with the original Universal Monsters: Frankenstein, Bride Of Frankenstein, Dracula, Wolfman, The Mummy, The Invisible Man, Creature From The Black Lagoon (which she screamed at several times at the top of her lungs).

Then we tried the Blob and the original Night Of The Living Dead which scared the crap out of her and ended our watching of anything remotely scary for a while.

I tried a little different approach and went with Bubba-Ho-Tep which she enjoyed and Fright Night which she enjoyed but scared her.

Last year a local theater was doing flashback cinema around Halloween with the original Nightmare On Elm St. which I always wanted to see on the "Big Screen". For some reason she agreed to go with me and she had nightmares for weeks...lol. Since then she has pretty much refused to watch anything scary so this year I am going back to the classics.

We'll probably try a few more Boris/Bela films over the next week and I still need to show her Son Of Frankenstein. I'd like to show her a Vincent Price film, but having trouble deciding which one. Witchfinder General and Dr. Phibes are definitely out
Old 10-02-2020, 01:58 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by realdealblues View Post
The Black Cat (1934)

My girlfriend hates Horror movies. Over the last few years I've tried to slowly introduce her to them. We started simple with the original Universal Monsters: Frankenstein, Bride Of Frankenstein, Dracula, Wolfman, The Mummy, The Invisible Man, Creature From The Black Lagoon (which she screamed at several times at the top of her lungs).

Then we tried the Blob and the original Night Of The Living Dead which scared the crap out of her and ended our watching of anything remotely scary for a while.

I tried a little different approach and went with Bubba-Ho-Tep which she enjoyed and Fright Night which she enjoyed but scared her.

Last year a local theater was doing flashback cinema around Halloween with the original Nightmare On Elm St. which I always wanted to see on the "Big Screen". For some reason she agreed to go with me and she had nightmares for weeks...lol. Since then she has pretty much refused to watch anything scary so this year I am going back to the classics.

We'll probably try a few more Boris/Bela films over the next week and I still need to show her Son Of Frankenstein. I'd like to show her a Vincent Price film, but having trouble deciding which one. Witchfinder General and Dr. Phibes are definitely out
It's funny, you say, "My girlfriend hates Horror movies.", and then you write all the horror films you've had her watch.

Did she watch The Black Cat? What'd she think? It's a classic, even a bit artsy.

If she liked Fright Night and Frankenstein, she might like Arachnophobia, Son of Frankenstein (1939) funny and classic!, Ghostbusters, Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1954), Evil Dead 2, Shawn of the Dead, Incredible Shrinking Man, Lost Boys, Young Frankenstein (must watch Son of Frankenstein first to get all the parody), and Suburbia.

Last edited by Sculpt; 10-02-2020 at 01:59 PM.
Old 10-02-2020, 10:22 PM
I kick ass for the lord!

Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde (1920 Sheldon Lewis), I must say this was actually a fun film, not as great as the Barrymore version of that same year, but on the other hand this one felt easier on the eyes to watch for some reason, maybe the constant changing of environments and actions were quicker paced...the dvd I got came with the 1911 dr jekyll horror short which I aso enjoyed.
Old 10-03-2020, 11:55 PM
Evil Dead

CURSE OF THE MUMMY'S TOMB (1964)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SPOILERS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >

Hokum abounds in this standard "Those who defile the mob..." etc and it is helped by better than You would expect sets and a couple of genuinely creepy Mummy appearances. Sadly, the story drags and the "Love Triangle" is comprised of three of the blandest cast members in any Hammer film. Fickle Jeanne Roland is strictly ornamental and not in a good way, Ronald Howard (son of actor Leslie from GONE WITH THE WIND) is stodginess personified and lead Terence Morgan , mere moments after meeting the couple does his best to "Cock-Block" the other fellow. Was glad to see Michael Ripper in here, but sadly, his character is gone too soon. *1/2
Old 10-04-2020, 09:19 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
CURSE OF THE MUMMY'S TOMB (1964)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SPOILERS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >

Hokum abounds in this standard "Those who defile the mob..." etc and it is helped by better than You would expect sets and a couple of genuinely creepy Mummy appearances. Sadly, the story drags and the "Love Triangle" is comprised of three of the blandest cast members in any Hammer film. Fickle Jeanne Roland is strictly ornamental and not in a good way, Ronald Howard (son of actor Leslie from GONE WITH THE WIND) is stodginess personified and lead Terence Morgan , mere moments after meeting the couple does his best to "Cock-Block" the other fellow. Was glad to see Michael Ripper in here, but sadly, his character is gone too soon. *1/2
I didn't even know Hammer did a Mummy.

Old 10-06-2020, 09:08 AM
Guitarist Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
It's funny, you say, "My girlfriend hates Horror movies.", and then you write all the horror films you've had her watch.

Did she watch The Black Cat? What'd she think? It's a classic, even a bit artsy.

If she liked Fright Night and Frankenstein, she might like Arachnophobia, Son of Frankenstein (1939) funny and classic!, Ghostbusters, Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1954), Evil Dead 2, Shawn of the Dead, Incredible Shrinking Man, Lost Boys, Young Frankenstein (must watch Son of Frankenstein first to get all the parody), and Suburbia.
Yeah, she watched The Black Cat. She liked it, she likes the old Black & White ones because they aren't usually really scary, although as mentioned Creature From The Black Lagoon scared the crap out of her and she literally couldn't sleep after we watched it.

I'll have to keep a few of those suggestions in mind. Forgot about Arachnophobia. Young Frankenstein would be good too. I think she has seen Shawn Of The Dead before we met and might have seen Ghostbusters. Evil Dead 2 would be too much for her though..

Anything with much gore or jump scenes she has a hard time with and literally has nightmares about. She was raised in a religious household as a kid and I have to keep my Exorcist Blu Ray in the basement where she can't see it. She won't watch anything with demons or possession. Poltergeist is completely out of the question, etc.

So yeah, I try to show her things that I think were either important to me growing up or films that I think are historically significant or aesthetically important to the genre. Films that are genuinely good and well made.

We watched The Raven (1935) last night.
Again she enjoyed Bela's over the top performance and seeing him and Karloff's roles reversed compared to The Black Cat.
Old 10-06-2020, 08:50 PM
I kick ass for the lord!

Planet of The Vampires (1965), thanks for the recommendation Sculpt....i liked the yellow and black space suits, havn't seen that model yet..
Old 10-07-2020, 07:29 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaeKwonZombie View Post
Planet of The Vampires (1965), thanks for the recommendation Sculpt....i liked the yellow and black space suits, havn't seen that model yet..
You're welcome. Love those space suits. Lot's of neck coverage. Even the ship in that film was very similar to the horseshoe ship seen in the film Alien. Good looking film at least.

Last edited by Sculpt; 10-10-2020 at 10:57 AM.