Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-25-2020, 06:35 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheebacheeba View Post
Watched the new CHILDS PLAY.

I'd kind of dreaded it a little bit...the originals were something from my childhood that kind of stuck with me, well, at least the first two.

I'd heard a lot of negative stuff about this one - and didn't have a great deal of interest in seeing it, but saw that it was on Amazon and figured I'd check it out.

I thought it was ok.
It's definitely not as dark/mature in content as the original was, and there was a bit more emphasis on comedy.
Fair enough, that didn't make it shit, just different in tone.
On its own I think it's some competent entry level horror, and maybe that's what worked against it in perception...that they made it kind of attached to this franchise that it barely resembled aside from "there is a doll of some description".
I thought it was funny that the machine seemed to enjoy taunting people a little bit as well.

It's...yeah as I said above...it's ok.
It's not a bad film, and while I don't see anyone thinking it was better than the original, I'd caution not to judge too harshly prior to seeing it.
It was not un-enjoyable.

My only issue...the thing I found missing, was the thing it did differently.
There was no actual personality...it was just a malfunctioning unit, with a few personality traits that were part of the same malfunction.

There was...just...not enough evil...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcGLveebwjo
I also saw that one, and didn't even expect it to be anywhere near as good as the original, like it's not, but I still enjoyed that one. It is definitely entertaining with some killer looking scenes. I also found the scene where the cheating father of two little girls gets it hilarious. I also found the scene where Chucky comes at him near the end, saying, "I'm your friend 'til the end!" intense and killer looking. Overall, it's entertaining and in great picture quality with some killer fx, and better than a lot of the other remakes, despite the last part is not always saying much. I found this one and the "It" remakes two of the few remakes from recent years that are actually good.
Old 04-25-2020, 07:04 AM
Evil Dead

Thumbs up The Day The Earth Stood Still Remake

This is another remake from the past decade that actually turned out to be pretty amazing and overall well done, unlike a lot of the other remakes from this century. It starts off with good tribute to the original with its opening logo looking like the original's. The actors and actresses also did very good jobs at developing their roles perfectly. Each character was also developed real well. There is a lot of heart and emotion in this film with the main character trying to connect with her stepson who lost both of his real parents at a very young age, and is still getting to know his stepmom, who is now the only one with custody of him. Their relationship develops as the main alien takes them on a field trip to different places where the aliens have secret bases, and even helps them to understand each other better as they go along. There are also a lot of intense scenes with the military trying to shoot down the alien towers, only to be unsuccessful at their attempts. Just like the original, the aliens feel the people need to be more at peace with each other or to be destroyed as to be a threat to all of the other species on the planet and to the planet itself. Not only is the story and plot well developed, but it is also in great picture quality with very amazing effects throughout the whole film. It also has a touching ending that I won't describe in detail to avoid any spoilers for those who haven't already seen it. Overall, this is a good horror/sci-fi film, and worth a look to fans of the genre. Fans of the original should not be that disappointed either.
Old 04-26-2020, 12:59 AM
Evil Dead

Jurassic Park: this is how it's done.

Sure, some stuff may feel a bit cheesier now and the hacking stuff is probably horrendously dated. But the first moment when the dinosaurs come out... Phwoa...

And Jeff Goldblum is always a win.
Old 04-26-2020, 05:58 AM
Living Dead

Asmodexia (2014), directed by Marc Carreté.

Another take on the exorcism story. The film director's intention was to make the movie that will stand out from other supernatural flicks, I suppose. IMO the movie was killed by the soundtrack. I had the feeling that the music didn't match the picture. There are some "scary" moments in the movie, but all of them lack strong climax, highlighted by something as trivial as slightly loud music. The other thing is that Asmodexia focuses too much on the theological considerations of Eloy and Alba which somehow kills the whole dramaturgy on which the film primarily was based.

Funhouse (2019), directed by Jason William Lee.

One of the main roles fell to Valter Skarsgård (that face... surely very similar to his brother, Bill... Pennywise comes to my mind). The acting in this movie is full of pathos and gushiness, for which, paradoxically, the nice counterweight is almost statuesque style shown by Valter. There is some tension and conviction about the inevitability of the painful end of the characters, who despite quite unconvincing acting creations, can be liked. I heard somewhere that it's truly a social media horror showing desensitization of people in the era of the Internet. Well, we are witnesses of moral decay as we watch how citizens all over the world decide the destiny of reality show participants for fun.
Old 04-26-2020, 05:01 PM
病気の

Clay, 2007. 7,5/10

Director: Ron Bonk

Old 04-27-2020, 09:26 AM
Wanna Join?

IMG_5154.jpg
John Wayne is a great anxiety reducer during this time. Hummable theme by Elmer Bernstein and eye-popping cinematography by Lucien Ballard (who helped revolutionize the American western a few years later with The Wild Bunch) a big plus.

"Within the framework of most horror tales we find a moral code so strong it would make a Puritan smile." Stephen King, DANSE MACABRE

Last edited by sfear; 04-27-2020 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-27-2020, 04:39 PM
This is a test

PUMPKINHEAD II : BLOODWINGS 1993

Pretty lame.... Pumpkinhead walked around sounding like a dinosaur.
Old 04-28-2020, 12:05 AM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloof View Post

Netflix:

Moonwalkers (2015) - 5/10
"A brain-addled war vet, a failing band manager and a Stanley Kubrick impersonator help the CIA construct an epic scam by faking the 1969 moon landing. Starring: Ron Perlman, Rupert Grint". A bit aimless at core without being funny.

War Horse (2011) - 5/10
"Young Albert enlists to serve in World War I after his beloved horse is sold to the cavalry. Albert's hopeful journey takes him out of England and to the front lines as the war rages on." Nice direction, but mostly rather a bore.

Extraction (2020) - 7/10
"Tyler Rake (Chris Hemsworth), a fearless black market mercenary, embarks on the most deadly extraction of his career when he's enlisted to rescue the kidnapped son of an imprisoned international crime lord." Nicely shot with well choreographed action. Has some heart and purpose to it, though rather unrealistic.

The Ritual (2017) - 6/10
"Following the sudden, violent death of their best mate, four young men reunite for a hike through the Scandinavian wilderness. Deep in the black, Nordic forest they find themselves lost in a hell of sinister nightmares and pagan sacrifices. For these ancient woods are home to a malevolent deity which will force them to face the darkness inside themselves." It's alright. Not much depth, reason and lacks commitment; it's not at all original to horror fans. But decent production value, acting and direction.

Last edited by Sculpt; 04-28-2020 at 12:07 AM.
Old 04-28-2020, 09:58 AM
Living Dead

Terrible Angels (2012), directed by Anthony Pierce.

I watched it because of some good reviews. Could be better as the concept is compelling and quite unique, I guess. Sadly, the acting is wooden and the action develops so slowly that it almost drove me nuts. The fact that it is hard to find a similar movie is the only thing that works in favor of it. Well, at least I haven't seen anything alike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloof View Post

Sorry, I couldn't help but laugh. Such a funny description.
Old 04-28-2020, 05:29 PM
This is a test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maila Munster View Post
Terrible Angels (2012), directed by Anthony Pierce.

I watched it because of some good reviews. Could be better as the concept is compelling and quite unique, I guess. Sadly, the acting is wooden and the action develops so slowly that it almost drove me nuts. The fact that it is hard to find a similar movie is the only thing that works in favor of it. Well, at least I haven't seen anything alike.

Sorry, I couldn't help but laugh. Such a funny description.
No worries! I loved the original Pumpkinhead. In this one, he was lurching around like a velociraptor. Sad.

Tags
movie