Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Books & Fiction Writing
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-25-2014, 10:48 AM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
Things You'd Want to Ask a Professional Editor and Novelist

I see some questions about publishing and some people asking about the writing business. To those that don't know me, I'm an author with five books in print. My work has appeared in anthologies alongside the likes of Bentley Little, Joe Lansdale, ,John Skipp and John Shirley. I've edited a great many books as a freelancer and copyedit for Deadite Press, the current publisher of Brian Keene and Edward Lee's catalogues. I've just returned to HDC and this might be a good way to give back and help make this forum a useful tool for fans who are going pro. Every professional is a fan. With the possible exception of Kevin Williamson. That guy hates everything and everyone.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:58 PM
Hellraiser

I'm not sure what I'd ask. Maybe how to market, promote books. I'm a writer who's self published quite a few books and had two published by a small publisher. I've also had one of my screenplays turned into a full length indie film. I might ask, too, how a writer does extensive research for a novel. It's been a dream of mine since I was little, to tell stories. I just want to be the best possible writer I can be :)
Old 10-06-2014, 12:49 PM
Little Boo

Lizardbeast, I've been self-publishing since 2000. Before that, I had a couple books published with mid-size publishers. One of the reasons I decided to self-publish is that I realized authors could do everything on their own and keep the part of the purchase price that goes to the publisher, agent, press agent, etc. That said, marketing has been one of the hardest things for me to do.

A couple of general observations that I've seen over the years. 1) Try anything once or twice. I have been at book festivals where no one sold a book and other events that wouldn't seem like a match for me where I sold well. It's a continuous culling process. Keep what works and throw out what doesn't. 2) The more you put yourself out there, the more opportunities will come your way. For instance, when I do events, I do it for more than selling books. I meet fans. I get ideas. I network with other writers who can become future editors and beta readers for me. I get invitations to other events. Plus, I tend to see my sales spike for a couple days afterwards from people who saw my books but decided to try and buy them cheaper elsewhere. 3) You've got to develop a habit to do a little bit every day. I tends to add up and you'll see the results start to build.

Those are just some of my observations. Other people may have their two cents to add in.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:25 PM
Hellraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrrada View Post
Lizardbeast, I've been self-publishing since 2000. Before that, I had a couple books published with mid-size publishers. One of the reasons I decided to self-publish is that I realized authors could do everything on their own and keep the part of the purchase price that goes to the publisher, agent, press agent, etc. That said, marketing has been one of the hardest things for me to do.

A couple of general observations that I've seen over the years. 1) Try anything once or twice. I have been at book festivals where no one sold a book and other events that wouldn't seem like a match for me where I sold well. It's a continuous culling process. Keep what works and throw out what doesn't. 2) The more you put yourself out there, the more opportunities will come your way. For instance, when I do events, I do it for more than selling books. I meet fans. I get ideas. I network with other writers who can become future editors and beta readers for me. I get invitations to other events. Plus, I tend to see my sales spike for a couple days afterwards from people who saw my books but decided to try and buy them cheaper elsewhere. 3) You've got to develop a habit to do a little bit every day. I tends to add up and you'll see the results start to build.

Those are just some of my observations. Other people may have their two cents to add in.
Thanks, Jrrada! Sounds like great advice. My biggest problem is not knowing where to start. There's a fine line between spamming and getting your name/work out there. I went to a writing conference once to meet an agent. She wouldn't have anything to do with my book because it's in the horror genre.

Plus, my being an introvert, a recluse and a social anxietic doesn't help matters either lol. It's ironic... I became a writer partly because I'm not good at speaking or communicating; but in this day and age, that's what a writer has to do to get anywhere.

I do get your advice! I'm going to try harder (and smarter) from now on :)
Old 10-17-2014, 11:29 AM
Little Boo

Going to a writers conference is a good idea. I always learn new stuff and come back jazzed to write. It also gives you a chance to interact with other writers. I'm somewhat introverted, but it gives me a chance to step outside my comfort zone.

Doing an agent meet and greet at a conference can be good, but you need to research the agents you meet to make sure that they handle books in your genre. It's hard enough to get one interested when they do handle your genre.

You might consider joining a writers' group close to where you live. You can meet other writers in a small social setting, learn new things, get manuscript critiques and prepare yourself for larger social interactions like a conference or a speaking engagement.

Good luck.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:26 AM
Little Boo

I self-published my first novel in April, and like many on this thread, I've found marketing to be frustrating and time-consuming. I appreciate all the thoughtful replies already posted on the topic. If I could add anything, I'd say, keep writing! The more you produce, the more exposure you'll get.