Old 08-05-2009, 10:20 PM
For Vendetta

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...mL._SS500_.jpg

Recommended.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:16 AM
Bad Natured

Zatoichi: The Tale of Zatoichi (1962) Up there with the Yojimbo series, but not as amusing (in the funny sense). Lots of honor and being true to oneself. Fighting is brief. Ashe.
d

Fate is my mistress, mother of the cruel abomination that is hope.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:44 AM
Bad Natured

Infection (2005). This flick is all atmosphere, all the time. The actors all emote an unnerving, underlying tension throughout. The way it builds up the feeling that something is definitely wrong with the hospital could nary have been better. Then things start to get creepy. Seemingly random scenes become less random, and finally ya just wish that something would scare ya for a cathartic release. Downcast and nihilistic enough to almost capture the flavor of Kairo, but unique in its own way, this one was great until the very end, where i think it tried to intimate its abstruse existential message but failed. Otherwise a great watch. Ashe.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:22 AM
Bad Natured

Samurai Assassin (1965). Lots and lots of dialogue, so get out your reading glasses. This was set just before the Shogunate fell. Ironic that these Samurai were conspiring to bring down a political system that was repponsible for their livelihood, after which of course their status and way of life was drastically reduced. Mifune delivers yet another great performance of an over ambitious Samurai wannabe. Great story, intrigue, and even a love tale gone horribly awry. Ashe.
d

Old 08-10-2009, 06:45 PM
HDC Idol

FINALLY got around to watching...

Kairo (Pulse)

I had actually seen its American remake prior to the film, so it was especially interesting to note the differences between the two. While the American remake focused on the physical horror of the apparitions, the original tale focused more on pure alienation, isolation, and disintegration. Kairo is definitely more a romantic gothic film in that it's melancholy, desperate and incredibly moody. Definitely strikes a creepy and sad tone in its viewer as it shows how technology does not unite the world but rather isolate it. I thought that it was slow at times, but it could be that I was expecting more of a Ju-on ghost tale as opposed to this brilliantly sad piece. That being said, my boyfriend loved it, which says a lot as his attention span generally doesn't last the whole two hours of an Asian horror film.

3.75/5

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 08-11-2009, 03:22 PM
Bad Natured

Charisma. Pretty tough subject matter to base a movie around, but Kurosawa pulled it off. One must give some license to the subject matter in this flick, for it was admirable to even consider tackling this story in a movie. i don't know if the intent here was truly understood by the makers of this flick, but to me it centered more around man's self imposed apotheosis and hence role in world domination, included that of nature itself, rather than being directed towards answering the never ending debate as to which is the more important, the forest or the trees. Ashe.
d

Old 08-12-2009, 05:54 AM
Bad Natured

House of Flying Daggers. Absolutely spectacular. Visually stunning, this is one incredible love story with lots of great action. The use of wires is not over the top to the point of absurdity, and that dagger! Stunning. Ashe.
d

Old 08-13-2009, 07:14 PM
HDC Idol

Long knong (Art of the Devil II)

First off I have to give a big FUCK YOU to Netflix for only having this movie available on Instant in its DUBBED form. The dubbing was AWFUL and completely pulls you out of the movie.

But regardless of that, I thoroughly enjoyed this flick and plan on getting the subtitled version to show to my boyfriend. I haven't seen a lot of Thai horror films and, to tell you the truth, in reading about them was never very interested in them as a lot of their subject matter seems to be drawn from voodoo curses (which to me, just seemed "silly" and "lame"). Well, I'll stop being closed-minded about it because I thought that Art of the Devil combined its voodoo curse with some brilliant bloody tortured scenes and created a pretty creepy atmosphere. While some of the special effects are definitely cheap, I was able to look beyond them and just enjoy the suffering of our protagonists. And, again, I'm surprised how easily I was able to suspend my disbelief, even with a voodoo curse being the main evil force in the film.

The only other issue that I had with the film is something that seems to occur in a lot of Asian horror films: A non-linear storyline cut with awkward editing of flashback scenes. They were obnoxious at first (of course, the poor cheesy dubbing didn't help at all), but eventually I got used to it.

Overall, a decent flick. Looking forward to seeing the non-dubbed version.

3.75/5

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 08-14-2009, 06:53 AM
Bad Natured

Lady Snowblood (1973). A very 70s feeling revenge flick replete with geisers of blood. Some of the in-your-face c/u camerawork was pretty impressive, and the over-the-top acting in every "startle" scene, ablaze with eyes bulging, was quite entertaining. A pretty standard story with twists all in the right places, this one is worth a watch. Ashe.
d

Old 08-15-2009, 06:55 AM
Bad Natured

Incident at Blood Pass (1970). Mifune's last portrayal of the Yojimbo character turned our to be quite the story of love, betrayal, and code of honor. Great flick. Ashe. d