Old 03-25-2013, 05:24 PM
Sometimes dead is better

Favorite Horror Movie Remake

What is your favorite horror movie remake?
Old 03-25-2013, 05:37 PM
Sometimes dead is better

My favorite horror movie remake is John Carpenter's The Thing (1982). The film is brilliantly directed by John Carpenter. It is an extremely dark, scary atmosphere. Additionally, it is (intentionally or unintentionally) a comment on both the Cold War and AIDS. The acting and character development is really high-quality (despite the large number of characters involved). The story is an interesting science fiction story based on the book "Who Goes There?." It is especially interesting to see how the characters who had so trusted each other slowly descend into paranoia and fear. Of course, one must mention the special effects, which were definitely ahead of their time. The score, despite not being composed by Carpenter, is quite eerie and match the film quite well. Honestly, everything about this film is brilliant, it is definitely a major improvement on The Thing from Another World (1951), which is also a great movie. Ultimately, The Thing (1982) is my favorite horror movie remake, due to the reasons described above.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:00 PM
Evil Dead

I think it's probably "House on Haunted Hill". I absolutely love Vincent Price, and in some ways I enjoy the original, but scary or even just a tiny little spooky? Not at all!

With the remake, they somehow found the right balance between actually improving the story, but at the same time paying tribute to the original. And Geoffrey Rush was awesome as the Vincent Price-like character.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:25 PM
Cranky

My favorite remake:

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 03-28-2013, 01:03 PM
Little Boo

I haven't seen the thing's remake but my favorite horror movie remake is Halloween. He is for me so much better than the carpenter's movie. The second part of film is good but the first is even better. I like Michael Myers as child. He is more original than others Halloween. However, I don't like the second remake.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:26 PM
Sometimes dead is better

Personally, I liked where they were going with it, but it was poorly executed. My main criticism being that they failed to develop many of the characters (with notable exceptions being Michael Myers, Sam Loomis, and guard in the mental hospital). Additionally, I think that the back-story of Michael Myers was interesting, but unnecessary. Part of what made the original Myers so great was the mystery behind his origins. Although, I suppose that is a fundamental disagreement, so if I did agree with the idea I would say it was one of the best executed parts of the movie (although, it was difficult to buy that that kid at the beginning being the menacing, evil character known as Michael Myers). Honestly, this is a major criticism of many of the slasher remakes (adding origins). I also thought that there was too much focus on the action (i.e. killing) and, as I mentioned, not enough on character development. In my opinion, the remake of Halloween did not even touch the original, which sparked a new age in horror movies: The slashers. In fact, virtually all of the slashers after it (the best example being Friday the 13th) were modeled after it. The original developed the characters amazingly well (with Laurie Strode and Sam Loomis being the most developed) and had an interesting story. The score and the direction were equally astounding. Ultimately, the remake of Halloween was okay, but not near as great as the original for the reasons I described. (By the way, you seriously need to see the Thing (1982) because it is considered by many to be one of the greatest horror movies of all time and I personally have seen it hundreds of times)

Last edited by metternich1815; 03-28-2013 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:10 PM
Little Boo

In fact, it is the remake of "Thing" I haven't seen. The thing (1982), I know. I saw The thing at least 5 times. I like The thing from John Carpenter. However, I don't like Halloween (1978) from John Carpenter. For me, that movie has aged. He is boring. It is my view (opinion). I'm ok, characters are developed. And this is the problem. Characters speak too. And now, I'm used to watch movies with a lot of murders but not only. I like to be inside characters and look them die gradually. I want to feel the heart of the action. I prefer movies like "Martyrs" or "Megan is missing". I love their atmosphere.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:30 PM
Sometimes dead is better

I was referring to The Thing from 1982, which was a remake of The Thing From Another World (1951), which I stated. Personally, I think the original Halloween has held up remarkably well. For the reasons I stated in my previous post. I respect your opinion, but I just strongly disagree with it because I think Carpenter is a much better director than Rob Zombie. I belive what made the original so great was that they spent a great deal of time developing the characters. I understand that modern audiences consider that boring, but I think more movies should do that.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:34 PM
Demon from Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by metternich1815 View Post
Personally, I liked where they were going with it, but it was poorly executed. My main criticism being that they failed to develop many of the characters (with notable exceptions being Michael Myers, Sam Loomis, and guard in the mental hospital). Additionally, I think that the back-story of Michael Myers was interesting, but unnecessary. Part of what made the original Myers so great was the mystery behind his origins. Although, I suppose that is a fundamental disagreement, so if I did agree with the idea I would say it was one of the best executed parts of the movie (although, it was difficult to buy that that kid at the beginning being the menacing, evil character known as Michael Myers). Honestly, this is a major criticism of many of the slasher remakes (adding origins). I also thought that there was too much focus on the action (i.e. killing) and, as I mentioned, not enough on character development. In my opinion, the remake of Halloween did not even touch the original, which sparked a new age in horror movies: The slashers. In fact, virtually all of the slashers after it (the best example being Friday the 13th) were modeled after it. The original developed the characters amazingly well (with Laurie Strode and Sam Loomis being the most developed) and had an interesting story. The score and the direction were equally astounding. Ultimately, the remake of Halloween was okay, but not near as great as the original for the reasons I described. (By the way, you seriously need to see the Thing (1982) because it is considered by many to be one of the greatest horror movies of all time and I personally have seen it hundreds of times)
Halloween is personally one of my favorites but it was not the first of the slashers, that title goes to Black Christmas. Of course that could be argued as well as there were some forerunners in Thirteen Women, Peeping Tom, Psycho, Dementia 13, Blood Feast, and many of the Italian Giallo films. Silent Night, Bloody Night and Savage Weekend also came before Halloween. What Halloween had over these others was the huge box office success which is the reason that so many slasher films were made.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:40 PM
Demon from Ago

My vote goes to David Cronenberg's The Fly.