Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Comics
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-20-2009, 04:25 PM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
Reread Strange Embrace. Really cool, ooky stuff.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:38 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Faustus View Post
I think the problem was that there's too much material. I'd like to see the Animated series that was on HBO. That seemed like a much better format for the character.
I didn't enjoy the animated series if its the one I have seen (Spawn voiced by Keith David?). Rather typical blood splatter junk that had none of spawns more challenging elements. I read the early issues of spawn and I enjoyed it more or less, he was an interesting experiment, though I think it would have worked better with a definite end in the plan. Though we can say that about all most every comic published I suppose.

Personally, I recently read through the "Wanted" TPB. Something of a piss of shit really. At times it was interesting, and there was some very snappy writing. For the most part it was a hypocritical piece of sillyness. I can appreciate the idea of indulging raw excess, but then you have characters you have gone further along that self-indulgent Id satisfaction road then almost any normal person would, attempting to pass moral judgment on other more psycho ... psychos. Not very compelling stuff.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:39 AM
Scares Little Kids

Reposted from the new members lounge. If there's sufficient interest, I'll do a longer write up on my own western/horror comic which is running now.

Oh, and, "Hiya."

---

Don't read a lot of monthly comics right now, mostly the collections and such. Some webcomics too. Split Lip by Sam Costello and my own western/horror comic Strangeways come to mind immediately.

Other stuff I read regularly.
Hellboy, though I'm not as fond of it as I once was.
The Goon, still strong, but I'm switching to trades as of this arc.
BPRD, Guy Davis is tops in my book, and the writing is sharp.
The Zombies That Ate the World, picked up the first issue as a taster and will wait out for the collection (or pick up the issues cheap). More Guy Davis goodness and a biting sense of humor to match.
Age of Bronze, not horror in the slightest, but a really great historical comic about the Trojan War by the unparalleled Eric Shanower.
Lone Wolf and Cub, only the best samurai manga ever.
Most any Grant Morrison-written comic. Again, not horror, often superhero action, but he does it well (mostly) and offers up plenty of thought-provoking ideas along with the plot. Didn't care for his recent big event comic, though.
Getting into the Creepy/Eerie archives and a lot more period horror in general.
Reading a lot of Alex Toth comics to learn what I can from his minimalist storytelling style and how he approaches a page. They're also damn good, by and large.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:04 AM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
Just finished some Scott Pilgrim. Other than obnoxious hipster cliches a la Juno, this is pretty funny and cool. I look forward to seeing Michael Cera's take on the character.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:18 AM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
The Batman Chronicles, Vol. 1

Chronological, full colour reprints of the very first Batman stories ever written. Incredibly cool - if you're a Bat-fan and haven't already picked this up, do so ASAP.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:32 PM
Wanna Join?

Showcase Presents Sgt. Rock Volume One. Not really a comic book but a book of comics, reprints of Sgt. Rock adventures from late 50s and early 60s issues of Our Army At War. Joe Kubert at his best, same with Robert Kanigher's scripts which seem to erupt from the foxholes of his imagination.

"Within the framework of most horror tales we find a moral code so strong it would make a Puritan smile." Stephen King, DANSE MACABRE
Old 04-10-2009, 04:14 PM
That fucking Guy...

I am reading, well, a lot (dc++ ftw)
If you're into events, as far as they go I think Marvels "Dark Reign" related stuff is for the better part, very good.
Long story short for those that don't know?
Norman Osbourne (aka Green Goblin) basically being put in charge of the marvel universes "military" type stuff, and a large portion of the superhero community...with a lot of dodgy stuff going on.
"Dark Avengers" is a good title to pick up if you want to take a look at what's going on.

Another comic series I'm really enjoying right now, far more than ever, is Superman, and the related titles.
The rundown - "New Krypton" emerges, with a whole city of kryptonians.
General Zod is now in charge of the NK military, Superman "renounces" Earth to go spy on 'em.
Lots more going on than that, but yeah, it's been great.
Good starting point
*Action comics #870 onwards
*Superman - New Krypton Special
*Superman #684 onwards
Old 04-22-2009, 09:12 AM
Atrocity Exhibition

Y the Last Man Volume One - Unmanned.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:59 AM
That fucking Guy...

Loved that comic..kind've went to shit after 25 or so issues...
Old 04-29-2009, 08:18 PM
Hehehehehe

Send a message via AIM to CryptKeeper13
Just finished the trade of Maximum Carnage which I still love and started reading Superman: At Earth's End because I heard it was bad but it is far more ridiculous than I even imagined.