Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-06-2008, 06:24 PM
For Vendetta

Pretty mindless and cheesy. A real eyeroller but with gags. Decent watch.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:33 PM
Cranky

Fido was GREAT. Surprised you hadn't seen it before. I was proud to have its writer in my VOH series.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 11-06-2008, 07:09 PM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerfan View Post
One of my favorite movies. What did you think of it?
Surprised the hell out of me honestly. I watched it with low expectations which were immediately blown out of the water. Almost the entire cast was perfect but I'm not really a big Juliette Lewis fan and even in this I couldn't really love her but that downside was erased by DiCaprio's BRILLIANT performance. I honestly cannot wait to see this again, why didn't anybody tell me about it? :confused:
Old 11-06-2008, 07:39 PM
For Vendetta

Bought it right after Urge gave the thumbs up. Never bothered to check it out since then, till last night.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:43 PM
Evil Puppy

Doh !
Old 11-06-2008, 08:47 PM
HDC Idol

The boyfriend and I had a nice, relaxing mini horror movie marathon on Sunday...

Out of the Blue

I Netflix'd this movie out of a recommendation from Neverending and I'd just like to say THANK YOU NE. This movie is a brilliant piece of honest, raw, horrifying direction that chronicles a day in the life of New Zealand's one and only serial killer... and his hapless victims. As NE has said, this is a veritable horror gem. It is intense, it is real, and it takes cinematic panic to a level that I haven't seen on screen (for those of you who have been unfortunate enough to see Van San'ts Elephant, this is everything that Elephant should have been; it's the historical-fictional-docuhorror without the ignorant pretentiousness). Most (if not all) of the characters in the film are based on the people who were affected on the 13th and 14th of November, 1990, so there is a ubiquitous feeling of true vulnerability and helplessness throughout the film that you rarely see in cinema; I truly did NOT know who would survive... And that was part of the horror.

I ABSOLUTELY recommend this film. It comes with the Chrono-NE Seal of Approval.

A/A+

Home Movie

I found Indie Horror Movie Gem #2 while perusing the New Movies that Comcast On Demand had to offer...

Initially, I was skeptical. Home Movie uses the hand held cam technique made popular by Blair Witch that now seems to be the latest horror movie making trend (in Cloverfield, Diary of the Dead, [rec], Quarantine - Even spoofed by South Park). The movie started off a little rocky (the premise being a family who obsessively records their lives, including the eventual indiscretions, bizarre behavior, and vertiginous descent into darkness) but begins to build speed at a rapid pace. The main antagonists of the film are the children, whose strange behavior is captured right away on film and, for the audience, sends up some rather obvious red flags (to the point where you want to strangle the directorial parental figures); but you get past that and the film captures some truly eerie images and creates some honestly creepy moments. Also, there were a couple of parts in particular that I thought were brilliantly risque and disturbing and I have to give a nod to the film for having the guts to show them.

Not a perfect film by any means and, in terms of style it's nothing particularly new... However, it reexamines the role of children in horror and takes a pretty creepy new vision of the concept of the Bad Seed.

Actually - The more I think about this film, the more I appreciate it.

B+/A-

And for Indie Horror Flick #3...

Splinter

Also New on Comcast On Demand, Splinter was a new low-budget take on the monster/infection theme. Not a perfect film by any means (there was a particular supposedly climactic part that SERIOUSLY was lame), but Splinter is a perfect little B-grade horror flick. The Monster itself is pretty gruesome with spectacular and nail-biting foley work, though the use of the shaky cam to hide low budget becomes annoying after a while.

All in all, though, I recommend this flick. Not necessarily if you have to pay for it, but if it comes on Fearnet On Demand, you're bored, and you're looking for some modern horror - Check it out. It's not bad.

B-/B

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 11-06-2008, 08:55 PM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
Home Movie

I found Indie Horror Movie Gem #2 while perusing the New Movies that Comcast On Demand had to offer...

Initially, I was skeptical. Home Movie uses the hand held cam technique made popular by Blair Witch that now seems to be the latest horror movie making trend (in Cloverfield, Diary of the Dead, [rec], Quarantine - Even spoofed by South Park). The movie started off a little rocky (the premise being a family who obsessively records their lives, including the eventual indiscretions, bizarre behavior, and vertiginous descent into darkness) but begins to build speed at a rapid pace. The main antagonists of the film are the children, whose strange behavior is captured right away on film and, for the audience, sends up some rather obvious red flags (to the point where you want to strangle the directorial parental figures); but you get past that and the film captures some truly eerie images and creates some honestly creepy moments. Also, there were a couple of parts in particular that I thought were brilliantly risque and disturbing and I have to give a nod to the film for having the guts to show them.

Not a perfect film by any means and, in terms of style it's nothing particularly new... However, it reexamines the role of children in horror and takes a pretty creepy new vision of the concept of the Bad Seed.

Actually - The more I think about this film, the more I appreciate it.

B+/A-
I've been recommending this since I saw it in Toronto... if it's on Comcast everybody who can should give it a shot! Some seriously creepy parts in this one and while it's not perfect I would say it's damn good. Like I said back in August, the kids did an amazing job and were really the highlight of the film.

Last edited by Despare; 11-06-2008 at 09:04 PM.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:57 PM
Cranky

Excellent reviews, Chrono! Lots of thought put into those. Glad you liked Out of the Blue.

I'm gonna watch Home Movies tonight, on your rec.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 11-06-2008, 09:07 PM
For Vendetta

Sounds good. Chrono.

Be a doll and bump the HDC Recommends too, will ya? :)
Old 11-06-2008, 09:09 PM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despare View Post
I've been recommending this since I saw it in Toronto... if it's on Comcast everybody who can should give it a shot! Some seriously creepy parts in this one and while it's not perfect I would say it's damn good. Like I said back in August, the kids did an amazing job and were really the highlight of the film.
Did you actually get to catch it in the theater? I would LOVE to have seen it on the big screen (and it's the kind of thing that I'd love to PAY to see too, specifically to support the director). And I agree - The children's performances were absolutely incredible. Actually - performances were strong all around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
Excellent reviews, Chrono! Lots of thought put into those. Glad you liked Out of the Blue.

I'm gonna watch Home Movies tonight, on your rec.
Thanks! I hope that you like it.

Let me know when you've seen it! There are a couple of scenes in particular that I'd like to discuss with people who've seen the movie - In the interest of NO SPOILERS, I'll PM you and Des once you've seen it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post
Sounds good. Chrono.

Be a doll and bump the HDC Recommends too, will ya? :)
Will do! I'm about to crash, so I hope that people don't mind a quick copy+paste job... :o

Join my Facebook Horror Group!