Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Vintage Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-27-2005, 09:24 AM
Tenant

Quote:
Originally posted by The Count
Nosferatu is one of my favorite all-time films. It was NOT
...What?
Old 06-27-2005, 09:30 AM
Scares Little Kids

Smile

Nosferatu is one of my favorite all-time films. It was NOT the first vampire film, but it's maybe the best (& scariest).

It was a silent-film made in Germany by a director by the name of Mureau (sp?). He tried to get permission from Bram Stoker's (the author of the novel DRACULA) widow, but she refused to give it to him. So, he went ahead & filmed it anyway, but he left the vampire nameless (to avoid trouble) & used the German term, "Nosferatu" (i.e., undead).

Remember that the original movie was subtitled in German. Some cuts you find today actually have one or two captions which use the name "Dracula." This is not historically valid. It's an American insertion thing; since Dracula has become synonymous with Vampire & the story so-obviously is the same tale Stoker related.

Obviously, you love this film! Good taste :) I'd like to share two things that may interest you further.

There's a German talking remake, made in the 1980's sometime, starring Klaus-something-or-other (sorry, I'm removed from my notes right now). It's super-cool, and scarey as all. It follows the original version closely & is VERY ATMOSPHERIC. There's an English cut, too. I believe you'd enjoy it. Check it out.

Lastly, a recent movie name SHADOW OF THE VAMPIRE starring Wilhelm DeFoe (sp? -- again :( ) This is fictional. It's relates how Mureau allegedly filmed the original NOSFERATU. The hook is this: according to the movie, |Mureau hired A REAL VAMPIRE to play Nosferatu!!!! :p Naturally, blood flows & havoc ensues.

THE COUNT
Old 06-27-2005, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by The Count

There's a German talking remake, made in the 1980's sometime, starring Klaus-something-or-other (sorry, I'm removed from my notes right now). It's super-cool, and scarey as all. It follows the original version closely & is VERY ATMOSPHERIC. There's an English cut, too. I believe you'd enjoy it. Check it out.

THE COUNT
klaus kinski, directed by werner herzog
Old 07-06-2005, 09:28 AM
Anne

Talking Was it Murnau's Vampir?

The first famous one was Vampir,then Nosferatu or was it Nosferatu(1922) and Vampir?OH,YES,Klaus Kinski was in the 1980's ONE.He was very good,but such a weird,quirky actor on screen and off! :D
Old 07-06-2005, 09:42 AM
Anne

"Salem's Lot " makeup similar to the original and later "Nosferatu" films

Hi again ! I know you all noticed that that vampire (The Master)in the original"Salem's Lot" television show (1979) looked very much like the famous"Nostferatu" in both films. I guess the influence of the first was strong enough to create memorable images for all the films.:D
Old 07-11-2005, 03:17 PM
Banned

Yeah the bald vampire in 'Salem's Lot is Nosferatu-esque, and very scary.

Nosferatu is considered the first genuine vampire film (presumably featuring most traditional aspects), but Nacht Des Grauens (1916/Germany) and Drakula Halala (1921/Hungary) both have vampire creatures - in fact the latter suceeded in adapting Bram Stoker's novel, but is sadly presumed lost forever.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:52 AM
Anne

Talking Thank you for the info!

Yes,Salem's Lot made me jump a few feet,lol! Sad when a film is lost,most of the old silents(about 90%) and 50% of the films made before 1950,have gone......perhaps not forever.Thank you for the additional information on the two early vampire films ;I did not know about these two gems! Beve:D ;)