Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-10-2006, 10:40 AM
Undead

Location: On the mean streets in the darkside of the wrong part of town.
Quote:
Originally posted by crippler666
The PS3 is not that expensive if you look at the bigger picture

The Wii is gonna be the cheapest at around the �250 or there abouts

But it is gonna run into big problems within a short space of time....

Its storage capacity of media will almost kill most conversions within a year:

PS3 Bluray: 27-54 gig per disk
XBox 360 HD-DVD: 14-28 gig per disk
Wii: 4.7-9 gig per disk

So converting some of the larger games from around the 20 gig mark is going to be impossible, this means only the likes of the 2d beat 'em ups and smaller companies will develope for them.

Take into account that you may end up having to buy a Bluray or HD-DVD player if they take off, with the loss of major games I feel the Wii is doomed which is a pity as the games for Nintendo will be awesome.

Microsoft have pulled the biggest fast one ever and until they announce it most 360 owners have over looked it. Next year there are addons planned for the 360.

Which at first looks like a good thing, but it isnt from a price point of view.

HD-DVD Drive �150-200
Hard Drive �50-80
Memory Upgrade �50-80

Now I know he has only just hinted at the last one, but the others are going to be a must and it is the same thing as with the Wii.

Do you think developers will make 2 versions for the same console? No they will make 1 version, GTA IV will be out in around a years time and will probably take up around 20 gig, most 360 owneres will be forced into buying at least the HD-DVD to play this game and there will be more to come.

If you add the price of all the addons together �250 and add that to the �289 model which you do need for the addons to workyou get a �539 price tag AT LEAST.

So Sony have been honest and upfront about a price and have the largest storage capacity allowing for more varied scenery, larger games and the developer a chance to release a game that isnt cut down because of storage space.

The PS3 has some amazing looking, varied, original line up for its release. I just hope that many just dont see the price tag rather than what the machine can do....
Yikes...Where to start?

OK, you talk about how Sony's Blu Ray disks hold more info then the X360 and Wiis disks, which is true...But no one needs it yet, and probably won't for awhile. No developer I know of, not cutting a Sony promo sound bite that is, has ever complained that a DVD was too small for their vision os a game.Not enough RAM, not a fast enough processor, sure...But no one's demanding more space yet. This includes Rockstar, BTW, who hasn't said word one that their game for the X360 will be on a HD DVD...Hell, they won't even release the damn setting for the game yet.

Then you speak of Microsoft's 'fast one' with the reported add ons like they were surprises...Although this new memory unit is a surprise, and a bit of a mystery as well since at can't seem to find any info on it on any of the gaming sites I visit. The larger hard drive was always an option for those that managed to fill up their 20 gigs and wanted more, and if HD DVD does take off, then a player might be made available and it will be made optional to buy. If a consumer doesn't want or need these things, they save money and don't buy them, simple as that. However, with Sony, you buy one version or the other and that's it...Either buy the gimped cheaper version or the decked out more expensive model, but whichever you buy, you're stuck with. No detachable hard drive, so no upgrading, and win or lose, you are stuck with Blu Ray.

I don't care how much someone tries to spin things in Sony's favor, but $499-$599 for a system and a possible $69-$79 a game is an awful lot to pay for a format that the odds of it succeeding aren't a sure thing at all. Better to make an investment that you MIGHT have to invest more in eventually then take the risk of blowing more cash for something that could turn out to be completely unnecessary.

Rule 1: You don't have to be the fastest person when running from zombies, just faster then someone else.

Rule 2:
If possible, keep a fat person with you at all times. Zombies prefer more meat.

Rule 3: Everyone else is expendable...unless they're the ones carrying the supplies.

Rule 4:
When in doubt, shoot everyone. Chances are they were bound to be infected, anyway.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:46 AM
That fucking Guy...

I think it's obvious by now that ps3 will be in the lead when it comes to power. IF it's also compatible with ps2 and ps1 games, it'll have the largest library.

x360 will no doubt have some interesting updates available, and continue releasing games that appeal to a wide market as the first xbox did, but, I believe the ps3 will be capable of more.

The wii wins out on innovation, the controller can do some FUNKY stuff, and this system brings back the oldskool at an affordable price. Not to mention, if nintendo can get a few NEW releases out there too...I think this system could be killer...not in terms of power maybe, but definately in terms of fun.
Oldskool gaming wins this one my personal favour.

They're all powerful...I think it's just up to personal gaming preference.
Old 07-16-2006, 05:36 PM
Evil Dead

I agree with that it should be optional.... But if its to be believed here is your choice for 360 owners:

a) Halo 3 with HD-DVD

b) no HD-DVD and no Halo 3

I believe that if that is the case Microsoft have shot themselves in the foot.....

As for price increases it is for certain games, it will be down to software companies to decide on price.... So if no one buys the games at the higher price, then they will be forced to drop prices.

I remember certain Mega Drive and Super Nintendo games coming in at simular prices, I know that it seems harsh but I will only pay that price for a game I know I will enjoy.

Companies spend hours programming games and then have to try and cram it onto a disk.... Some games have already been put onto dual layer disks, they approach the 7-8 gig mark, especially on console that doesnt normally use up alot of hard drive space..... So new consoles, more power, better textures and high resolution will mean more capacity needed.

I believe we are finally reaching a point where repetitive graphics, poor character interaction and graphical glitching will be make or break of a game / system, if this is so then companies will have to program and test differently. Aswell I believe this will take up more space on a disk.

Sony will most likely win, mainly because of variety of games and a strong back catalogue. Also free games with the console may well turn some heads. The only problem I see is if people hold off expecting a price reduction, I cant see them dropping price for over 1 year (I believe the console will be worth it), aswell you know that Sony will not release another console for at least 7 years whilst its competitors will probably release another console within 5 years.

Microsoft will come a closer second, but due to the add ons being as optional as PC upgrades (if you wanna play a new game in anything other than low-medium spec decent graphics card every year). Coupled with most games coming out being FPS and some driving games (I know other games come out, but these are the genres that Microsoft push).

Wii I think will come a more respectable third (closer than the Cube came to Sony & Microsoft), cheap software will help aswell alot of the retro style games that come out for PS2 will be coming to the Wii. However not using a high storage capacity is where the problem falls. Games will not be ported to the system when difference in storage becomes so great, or it will get rushed ports.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:18 AM
For Vendetta

Some latest news on the PS3 front :- (if you already know this, skip it)

Sony has demonstrated an online service called "PlayStation Network" to support its upcoming PlayStation3 (PS3) video game console.

The "PlayStation Network" uses a navigation system already available on Sony's hand held game player, the PlayStation Portable (PSP). The new service will offer multiplayer gaming, chat, voice or video communication, downloadable gaming content like weapons or maps, and the ability to shop at the online PlayStation Store.

The online PlayStation Store will allow users to download game demos, game-related content, and downloadable casual games, including titles developed by Sony Computer Entertainment World Wide Studios exclusively for download and play only on PS3.

While online play, chat, and other basic features will be offered absolutely free from day one, the users will have to pay to download some content. The downloadable games provided by Sony's units will cost less than $15 at launch.

Moreover, users will be able to create a unique and secure PlayStation profile to communicate with other PS3 users, and use an electronic wallet to buy online content. Shoppers will be able to add PlayStation Store funds from their credit cards or gift card-like PS3 Cards to their accounts.

In addition, gamers will be able to browse the Web, store and view pictures and video, as well as download and listen to music on the console. The Web browser will be included with the PS3, and will be free of charge.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:38 AM
Atrocity Exhibition

I'm going to get a wii but I might wait a year or 2 so it won't be to expensive.The new Zelda looks wicked.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:01 PM
Evil Puppy

I have the first pre-order for a PS3 at the Gamestop in my area so if they only get one it's mine. I can't wait to get it... and sell it on EBay. Sure it's a cool system and I always have to have all the systems but I have a 360. I can wait for the next shipment of PS3s. Besides, I just read that Sony isn't even shipping component cables or an HDMI cable with the PS3 so to get HD I'll have to spend another $30-$50 just for a cable.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:12 AM
Fear scented candle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheebacheeba View Post
I think it's obvious by now that ps3 will be in the lead when it comes to power. IF it's also compatible with ps2 and ps1 games, it'll have the largest library.

x360 will no doubt have some interesting updates available, and continue releasing games that appeal to a wide market as the first xbox did, but, I believe the ps3 will be capable of more.

The wii wins out on innovation, the controller can do some FUNKY stuff, and this system brings back the oldskool at an affordable price. Not to mention, if nintendo can get a few NEW releases out there too...I think this system could be killer...not in terms of power maybe, but definately in terms of fun.
Oldskool gaming wins this one my personal favour.

They're all powerful...I think it's just up to personal gaming preference.
CHEEBACHEEBAS BACK! YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, and to all of you..... Heathens and heretics the lot of you. PC is and always will be the best so :p

They can port all of your titles to pc, but they can't port all of our titles to console.... At least not well.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:30 AM
For Vendetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vodstok View Post
CHEEBACHEEBAS BACK! YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!
Actually, his post is dated 11th July, Vod.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:31 AM
Fear scented candle

this year though, that account had been dead and gone for a while...
Old 10-25-2006, 08:41 AM
For Vendetta

Latest on the PS3 games front :-

Most/All games will be priced at $59.82. They have included these at Wal-Mart till the end of 2006 :-

Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
Sonic the Hedgehog PS3 version
Genji: Days of the Blade
Call of Duty 3
Resistance: Fall of Man
F.E.A.R. PS3 version
Virtua Fighter 5
Timeshift
The Darkness
Stranglehold
Bladestorm: Hundred Years War
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion