Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-20-2018, 10:42 AM
Banned

Actually, Wes Craven's original idea for Freddy was for him to be a child rapist and murderer but Robert Englund refuse to have anything to do with a character who raped children so he scrapped the idea and just made him a murderer. In the remake, they went ahead with Cravens original idea which is what has pissed a lot of people off. I myself prefer the original obviously but I don't think the movie is quite as bad as people make it out to be. I can appreciate the fact that Freddy was a serious entity rather than a comedian. and while the original Freddy's look is the most classic, the newer Freddy did look more like an actual burn victim.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:48 AM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morningriser View Post
Actually, Wes Craven's original idea for Freddy was for him to be a child rapist and murderer but Robert Englund refuse to have anything to do with a character who raped children so he scrapped the idea and just made him a murderer. In the remake, they went ahead with Cravens original idea which is what has pissed a lot of people off. I myself prefer the original obviously but I don't think the movie is quite as bad as people make it out to be. I can appreciate the fact that Freddy was a serious entity rather than a comedian. and while the original Freddy's look is the most classic, the newer Freddy did look more like an actual burn victim.
Yeah and being more evil actually made him scarier.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:38 AM
Banned

His voice was really creepy. I mean in the original Nightmare on Elm Street before he became a full-on comedian, Robert Englund sounded creepy as hell as well. I mean realistically the makeup was better as well as the special effects and the acting was up to par as well but there's just something about the classics that can never be equaled or mastered. That also goes for the Remake to I Spit on Your Grave. The original was far more disturbing if you ask me because the rape scenes were so much more realistic and hard to watch at times but nevertheless, leaving you feeling very uneasy. The Remake had a pretty disturbing rape scene as well but I feel like the movie relies most on the Revenge kills, which were pretty fucking awesome, but it takes more than good kills and great Gore to lure me in.
Old 10-20-2018, 12:41 PM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

I remember liking the remake to Last House on the Left. Everything about it felt realistic. I could see two young naive teenage girls getting into a dangerous situation like that because they befriended the wrong boy and I can imagine most parents reacting to their daughter being raped and almost killed just like the ones in this movie.

I would want to kill those scumbags too, but it wasn't just about avenging their daughter. It was about escaping those sociopaths so that they could get help for her.

And it was nice that they spared the boy because he clearly wasn't a psycho and didn't deserve to be killed. I wonder what would have happened to him after the movie was over though? He left with the family but he might have been held accountable by the authorities for what his father, uncle, and father's girlfriend did?
Old 10-20-2018, 12:50 PM
Banned

You are right, the Remake was more realistic but nothing about the original just draws me to it. I have been a fan of the original for many years and despite the realism Compared to the original, I just couldn't get into the remake.
Old 10-20-2018, 01:04 PM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

Quote:
You are right, the Remake was more realistic but nothing about the original just draws me to it. I have been a fan of the original for many years and despite the realism Compared to the original, I just couldn't get into the remake.
I never actually watched the original but I saw an episode of The Cinema Snob about it and I remember thinking "God this looks so ridiculous compared to that remake!"

But maybe I should actually watch the whole movie and give it a chance? If a lot of people liked it then there must be something good about it
Old 10-20-2018, 01:08 PM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

One of the things I like about modern horror movies today is that they actually portray teenage characters as more realistic and believable. They show them being the kids that they really are and not being a bunch of hypersexual potheads played by adult actors.

It's like even when you see teenagers doing that stuff in today's movies it feels more realistic compared to what it was like in the old horror movies because they are still just being kids. Like the ones in the remake of Nightmare on Elm Street.
Old 10-20-2018, 01:16 PM
Banned

D'original Last House on the Left isn't really meant to be taken seriously like the remake. The movie had some quirky music at times and just some Oddball happenings. You would have to watch it to understand but it is more or less a horror movie for stoners. Even in the making of the movie which comes on the DVD and Blu-ray, Wes Craven even says he remembers during the entire filming being stoned.
Old 10-20-2018, 01:29 PM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

Quote:
D'original Last House on the Left isn't really meant to be taken seriously like the remake. The movie had some quirky music at times and just some Oddball happenings. You would have to watch it to understand but it is more or less a horror movie for stoners. Even in the making of the movie which comes on the DVD and Blu-ray, Wes Craven even says he remembers during the entire filming being stoned.
lol I guess that explains the peace symbol necklace.

But I really appreciate the remake for the realism. I like the idea of parents willing to do anything to protect their children from the evil monsters in this world.
Old 10-20-2018, 01:33 PM
Banned

The peace symbol necklace was actually a gift to Mary from her father because it was her birthday. In the original, her and her friend were going to a concert and we're trying to get some weed before the show and then they talked to Junior who in the original was the name of krug's son. He lures them back to where his father and weasel, I can't remember what his name was in the remake, and Sadie take them captive and take them out in the woods and torture them. The movie does have some pretty intense scenes and some decent Gore and some pretty good kills on and off screen and some pretty good kills on and off screen. Didn't you say you have Netflix? I know it used to be on there but I don't know if it still is or not.