Old 03-05-2021, 07:00 AM
Little Boo

Cool What attracts YOU to horror?

Hello!

I am currently in my last year at College studying filmmaking, and for my final project I have chosen to create a horror short film (Hence the post).

I am really intrigued to find out more about why people love to watch horror & what makes a film stand out to them, of course I have many many questions lined up but just want to see who would be interested in helping me:) Any feedback would be amazing!

and if possible if anyone would be up for an interview which will be kept private other than to my teachers that would be amazing too
Old 03-05-2021, 03:48 PM
Living Dead

mr. macabre

Because it deals with subjects that most people won't even consider to be real. Fear is the strongest emotion that we have, and fear of death is something that most people don't want to deal with, even if it's in a book or movie.

I've been a horror fan since I was a kid, I love it. I'm an atheist and have no fear of death. To me, it just means the end of life. You only get one, so make the most of it if you can. That's probably the reason why I can read or watch any kind of horror and not have it affect me like it does to some people.
Old 03-07-2021, 03:46 PM
Evil Dead

I've been attracted to horror ever since I was younger. I remember as a kid I would always rent out those kinds of movies. They seemed very eerie and I guess I loved getting spooked and having a reaction by it. There are certain horror movies I remember watching as a kid and always looking forward to watching them. Plus many people seem to avoid them and I always saw them as getting excited by watching them.
Old 03-07-2021, 06:49 PM
Hellraiser

To me, as a genre of film, when done right (admittedly a huge caveat) I think horror can provide some of the most uncompromising experiences available.

I think that the same can be said of horror in literature, but moving onto literature would lead to the other thing I (and I think most people) find engaging about the genre, the themes and concepts that it regularly explores. Death, decay, corrosion, societal collapse, paranoia, insanity, fear, hate, sex & sexuality, pointless violence, and a litany of social and political ideas. It’s a far more versatile genre than some people would think looking in from the outside.

And yes, there’s an aspect of me that enjoys the gore. Not torture and dismemberment as such, but dramatic change, of the kind that couldn’t happen in real life. It’s here I think that death is explored most clearly, through the monster, the zombie, etc; the fantastical representation of the process and fear of, death.
Old 03-07-2021, 06:54 PM
This is a test

The seductiveness of vampires and then one thing led to another.....
Old 03-08-2021, 08:11 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloof View Post
The seductiveness of vampires and then one thing led to another.....
Got knocked up?

Old 03-09-2021, 05:40 AM
This is a test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
Got knocked up?
If I told you, I'd have to make you immortal....
Old 03-10-2021, 07:21 AM
Little Boo

Many thanks for all the replies!

It has been really interesting reading all the different things that makes an individual attracted to horror, I personally as do many people find the scares thrilling and cannot wait to get cracking on this project.

I will be taking on board what everyone has commented to try and integrate many different ways of trying to get the viewer worried.

I aim to have my film (without giving too much away) based around isolation, the character is changing and there is this 'demon' that follows them but we never see who this 'demon' is - they live in the shadows.
Old 03-13-2021, 05:03 PM
Penthouse Pauper

I'm bored with my life & horror excites & distracts me.

Tags
filmmaking, horrorfilm, survey