Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Vintage Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-05-2023, 09:40 AM
Evil Dead

The Trip 1967 ★★★

Watching this movie on good pot would probably make it a five star experience.

Now it "just" has some amazing trippy visuals and ditto shots and a groovy score.
Old 07-06-2023, 02:19 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Jarvis View Post
The Ape Man 1943 ★★

One of the lesser Lugosi flicks about a mad scientist who turns into a half man, half ape. But to be fair, he looks less like a monster and more like a hairy version of Mister Spock. The Wolf Man was released two years prior and at least that one gave us a transformation scene.

It's also less horror and more melodrama, even though the ape man and a 100% "monkey" go on a killing spree at one point. The cast looks uninspired and, at times, even Lugosi looks like he's phoning it in.

I was off from work yesterday and had sort of a Bela "jones" going on; hadn't seen TAM in some time.

Wow...I should have watched THE RAVEN instead. Although Bela was a little subdued, He still gave his all. I'm wondering if when He spoke the line "What a mess of things I made" was He thinking about his career.

Though Louise Currie was pretty good...she reminded Me of Katherine Hepburn a little and pretty cool when She is fighting Bela towards the end...Film historian Greg Mank mentioned how it's almost an S/.M scene, with her in the heels, cracking the whip with the jaunty score playing.

As far as the guy looking in the windows and the big reveal at the end

** also

TJ...I told my wife that You described Bela as looking like a hairy version of Mr Spock....and She was dying laughing!
Old 07-06-2023, 08:59 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
TJ...I told my wife that You described Bela as looking like a hairy version of Mr Spock....and She was dying laughing!
Glad to be able to help.
Old 07-07-2023, 09:07 AM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Jarvis View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I'll check those out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
Spellbound (1945)
9/10

Psychological, mystery, crime, thriller and romance starring Gregory Peck and Ingrid Bergman, directed by Alfred Hitchcock. Excellent theremin filled musical score by Miklós Rózsa, the film winning the Oscar for Best Musical Score. Also filled with some trippy Salvador Dalí set designs for a jaw dropping dream sequence. The film tried to stay accurate with psychological detail.
Hey Tommy, ever do requests? After you asked about if Dial M was the best to that point, I made a list and have seen a few. Love to get your impressions on Spellbound (1945).

Old 07-08-2023, 03:51 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Hey Tommy, ever do requests? After you asked about if Dial M was the best to that point, I made a list and have seen a few. Love to get your impressions on Spellbound (1945).
Always in for suggestions and recommendations, Sculpt.

I think I found a copy on YT, so I should be able to check that one out some time soon.
Old 07-11-2023, 12:57 AM
Evil Dead

THE RAIN PEOPLE (1969). A disconnected, confused and newly pregnant Housewife deserts her husband and family, hitting the road to "Find" herself or maybe try to make sense of how She's feeling. Along the way, she makes the acquantince of brain damaged Football player -early James Caan-and He almost becomes a surrogate child, even if her treatment of him sometimes is questionable.

Early Francis Ford Coppola film has "Cult status" attached to it and while it certainly has moments (interesting look at how Women's lib was starting to appear, but how little control women had over their destinies), it just flips and flops. Shirley Night is VERY good as the addled protagonist, but her behavior is all over the place. You really root for her in some scenes and others, You want to lob a brick at her. The ending is kind of up in the air for Me, but it's worth checking out. Lots of real small town footage and read that George Lucas, a friend of FFC was a cameraman. **1/2
Old 07-14-2023, 03:47 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Here's what I made of it:

Spellbound 1945 ★★★★

Certainly by 1945 standards, the premise is rather interesting. The new chairman arrives at a mental facility, only for them to find out that he is not the doctor, but rather a patient. He and one of the psychologists then try to find out what happened.

Is it a masterpiece? The jury is still out on the verdict. What I can say, is: it certainly plants the seeds for later greats. Like the shot with the eyes covered wallpaper getting cut up (Hitchcock and Salvador Dali, some pairing). Or the things coming back in later works: like the trial montage in Dial M or a bit of the score that later returned in either Vertigo or Psycho.

He certainly creates the tension that would come to full fruition in his later works. The scenes at the train station come to mind as well as the moment when doctor Peterson pieces things together or the moments where Peck struggles with his inner demons. He shows what made him such a great actor. Ingrid Bergman is very good as the feisty Dr. Peterson. I also like Michael Chekhov. He makes his Brulov just the right amount of eccentric.

Spellbound. It may not be a masterpiece, but at least it comes close. The type of flick that has you convinced that he has it in him.
Old 07-19-2023, 01:35 AM
Evil Dead

CURSE OF THE CRIMSON ALTER (1969 AKA THE CRIMSON CULT) .

Convoluted story of an antiques dealer searching for his brother who was involved with some not very nice people. Convoluted it may be, but not as bad as You may have heard. Good cast including Barbara Steele (although it seems She is little more than window dressing, although her outfit is impressive), Christopher Lee, Michael Gough, Virginia Wetherall and a very good turn by Boris Karloff-I feel he truly shines here. Sadly, there are some scenes that just seem to pad the story for a longer running time. ***
Old 07-28-2023, 10:52 AM
Evil Dead

FATHOM (1967). Silly British comedy with Raquel Welch as a Skydiver on a US Parachute team who gets involved in espionage between two competing organizations. Raquel took a lot of flak for acting (much like Ann-Margret), but like AM, she kept it up, got in better films, earned awards and became a real "Do It All" kind of performer; singing, dancing, Broadway, entrepreneurship and poked fun at her image, especially on SEINFELD. But honestly, her looks were a major factor in why us guys watched her films. Just the footage of her in a Lime Green Bikini will have You convinced that She was a marvel of Genetic engineering. **1/2
Old 07-29-2023, 06:58 AM
病気の

The Ouartermass Xperiment, 1955. 7/10

Directed by Val Guest

Night of the Demons, 1957. 7.5/10

Directed by Jacques Tourneur

Last edited by DeadbeatAtDawn; 07-29-2023 at 07:25 AM.