Old 07-24-2014, 09:22 PM
the walls are bleeding.

Late 1980s/Early 1990s

There's something about this era that always fascinates me in many regards, including it's horror films.

It just seems like there was something in the air.

hellraiser-5.jpg

Hellraiser.jpg

jeff-goldblum-as-seth-brundle-in-the-fly.jpg

shot0039l.jpg

FromBeyond-1.jpg

Last edited by _____V_____; 07-25-2014 at 05:13 AM. Reason: Oversized images re-attached.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:30 PM
Evil Dead

I don't think there is anything really special about that era of horror, not that those movies are bad, on the contrary they are terrific films. I think it is simply the movies that affected you the most because they came out at a time in your life when you were most impressionable to that sort of stuff. I'm guessing you were 13, 14, 15 around that time? I think the same is true for many if not all of us. If something grabs you in those formative years, it does not let go easily.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:37 AM
Misanthrope

It was definitely a great era for horror. I love how a lot of the films were pure escapism and didn't take themselves to seriously. There were also some pretty dark flicks too that were more serious in tone. The era had more originality and innovation compared to today... the studios were a lot more adventurous with the stuff they green lit.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:29 AM
Evil Dead

Very true...came of age in the 70's, but have a special fondness for 80's horror, especially in the first half. Maybe because I turned 18 right at the end of 1979 and could pretty much see whatever film I wanted. Had a job and wheels, so could take friends/brother/dates with little problem.
Saw a LOT of the offerings, usually at midnight shows.
Boy, I feel old...
Old 07-25-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis_Christ View Post
It was definitely a great era for horror. I love how a lot of the films were pure escapism and didn't take themselves to seriously. There were also some pretty dark flicks too that were more serious in tone. The era had more originality and innovation compared to today... the studios were a lot more adventurous with the stuff they green lit.
Couldn't agree more. I loved the era.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:49 PM
Evil Dead

The 80's and early 90's are definitely my favourite era for films. I much prefer the effects from back then rather than the cgi nowadays. Cgis good for some things but for good old gore and splatter i prefer the old way of doing it!!
Old 08-25-2014, 07:51 PM
the walls are bleeding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis_Christ View Post
Yes, the studios were definitely more adventurous then than they are today. I hope we see a new birth of outrageous, insane Horror films SOON.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:16 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post
I don't think there is anything really special about that era of horror, not that those movies are bad, on the contrary they are terrific films. I think it is simply the movies that affected you the most because they came out at a time in your life when you were most impressionable to that sort of stuff. I'm guessing you were 13, 14, 15 around that time? I think the same is true for many if not all of us. If something grabs you in those formative years, it does not let go easily.
I get what you are saying but I always felt that the 70s/80s were the "birth" of horror films (I was born in 1970). Yes, that is just a matter of opinion. I think it's awesome that I had the opportunity to scare myself for the first time by watching The Exorcist late at night, all by myself, in the dark....it scared the crap out of me!! I think that some of the best horror movies ever came from the 70s/80s!! You're right, it was a very impressionable time in my life and I loved it!!

Old 11-02-2014, 12:52 PM
Admitted Newb

Late 80's

Quote:
I agree and yet somewhat disagree. You're completely correct about the formative years--there are some terrible movies from those years that I love--then I see them fifteen years later and realize what dogshit they are(even if they still give you a warm fuzzy feeling)

But if you take a good look(and I wouldn't call it late 80's/early 90's so much as late 70's, 80's) it's pretty clear there were some true masters of horror working at the time, and they had some incredible up and coming FX artists working with them.

Who do you have now that compares to Carpenter, Cronenberg, Dante, Landis, Raimi, Romero, and many of the other later 70's/80's masters? I don't think most of the guys working today are going to be looked at as legends in 20 years...(and sure, there might be one or two but not many compared to back then)

Of course, I am biased. :)

Last edited by kangas; 11-02-2014 at 12:53 PM.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:02 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
That's probably why I like movies like Insidious and The Conjuring more than something like Hellraiser or Carrie.

Tags
80's, bizarre, disturbing, horror, nightmare