Old 03-05-2010, 06:33 PM
The Spine Splitter

Send a message via AIM to Doctor Loomis Send a message via MSN to Doctor Loomis Send a message via Yahoo to Doctor Loomis
alice in wonderland 3D. i really dont understand how this film got any hate tbh. it was really well done :)
Old 03-05-2010, 07:29 PM
Waste Disposer

Pandorum
oh
hey
The Descent monsters...with armour...in space...or.... not in space ...but.. somewhere...else
*sigh*
mixed with noahs ark
yeah
great
wow

hey that guy from 30 days of night really cleans up well huh?

Wish I had just skipped this fucking movie:rolleyes:
Old 03-05-2010, 09:03 PM
That fucking Guy...

Old Dogs
Honestly it was actually pretty funny for the genre of "family" type comedy it seems to sit in.
Though Seth Green I found completely unfunny in this particular role.
It kept me entertained throughout, but I have to say I thought it kind of fizzled at about the 2/3 mark...and went from "funny" to "ok" at this point.
Better than I was expecting overall though.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:22 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
The Box (2009)

Watched this last night and really enjoyed it at the time...but now that I look back I can see the flaws starting to pop out. Still, as long as you don't spend too much time trying to make sense of the ending, this is a super entertaining, vaguely surreal piece of cinema. Wants to seem smarter than it is, but still very enjoyable at face value.

Alice in Wonderland (2010)

Typical Burton. Your opinion of his work in general should be a perfect indication of whether or not you'll enjoy this: there's not a lot of new ground here, but if you're still fond of Burton's style you should still find a lot to enjoy here.

Personally, I had fun with it. Nothing special, but some great imagery and fun characters. You get exactly what you pay for: a once great director going back to the same well that he's nearly dried up, and pulling up something that looks and smells a lot like his earlier work. Pretty colours, familiar story, great cast...many will call him out for laziness, but if you keep your expectations grounded this is a pretty solid little adventure.

Last edited by The_Return; 03-05-2010 at 10:27 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:46 PM
mostly ghostly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Return View Post
Alice in Wonderland (2010)

Typical Burton. Your opinion of his work in general should be a perfect indication of whether or not you'll enjoy this: there's not a lot of new ground here, but if you're still fond of Burton's style you should still find a lot to enjoy here.

Personally, I had fun with it. Nothing special, but some great imagery and fun characters. You get exactly what you pay for: a once great director going back to the same well that he's nearly dried up, and pulling up something that looks and smells a lot like his earlier work. Pretty colours, familiar story, great cast...many will call him out for laziness, but if you keep your expectations grounded this is a pretty solid little adventure.
I kind of figured as much, unfortunately. Although I have to disagree; I truly don't think he's "lost it", or anything, he's just in the worst place a director with a strong vision can be: high profile but not trusted enough to do what he wants. His films, going back to the late 90s or so, reek of studio interference, which is still at least partly his own fault I guess. But I think, left to his own devices, he could still make engaging and unique films.

---------------------------------------

A Serious Man (2009)

Finally got around to watching this. An incredibly bizarre, ominous parable that has its characters and audience asking "Why?"
And none of whom are given an answer.
Some of their best original work in some time.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:02 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortunato View Post
I kind of figured as much, unfortunately. Although I have to disagree; I truly don't think he's "lost it", or anything, he's just in the worst place a director with a strong vision can be: high profile but not trusted enough to do what he wants. His films, going back to the late 90s or so, reek of studio interference, which is still at least partly his own fault I guess. But I think, left to his own devices, he could still make engaging and unique films.
In my opinion, Sweeney Todd was easily one of his best works yet, so I totally agree - the man still has a lot of talent, he just needs a chance to let it out to play. There's a lot of imagination at work in Alice, there's no question about that, but a lot of it just seems like we've seen a version of it before...I hadn't thought of it that way, but you're probably right about Disney curtailing his vision into something more safe. Really a shame.

Still, the fact that we get an epic sword fight between a red-headed, bat-shit crazy Johnny Depp versus Crispin Glover sporting some fancy armor and a heart-shaped eye patch just makes everything worthwhile :p

PS - Glad you liked Serious Man, really enjoyed that one myself. Absolutely loved the closing shot...amazing stuff.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:12 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to The Mothman
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortunato View Post
A Serious Man (2009)

Finally got around to watching this. An incredibly bizarre, ominous parable that has its characters and audience asking "Why?"
And none of whom are given an answer.
Some of their best original work in some time.
I just watched this a few hours ago. I particularly like the ending.

Click for B-Movie reviews!
Old 03-06-2010, 12:04 AM
mostly ghostly?

Quote:
In my opinion, Sweeney Todd was easily one of his best works yet, so I totally agree - the man still has a lot of talent, he just needs a chance to let it out to play. There's a lot of imagination at work in Alice, there's no question about that, but a lot of it just seems like we've seen a version of it before...I hadn't thought of it that way, but you're probably right about Disney curtailing his vision into something more safe. Really a shame.

Still, the fact that we get an epic sword fight between a red-headed, bat-shit crazy Johnny Depp versus Crispin Glover sporting some fancy armor and a heart-shaped eye patch just makes everything worthwhile :p
Yeah, I really loved Sweeney Todd too, mostly because it really felt like he wasn't trying (or didn't have) to please anyone.
Haha, and I heard about this swordfight. I'll definitely check it out in the theatre, but I'm worried.

Quote:
PS - Glad you liked Serious Man, really enjoyed that one myself. Absolutely loved the closing shot...amazing stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mothman View Post
I just watched this a few hours ago. I particularly like the ending.
Yeah, the ending is really unsettling, but appropriately so. I loved it.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:19 AM
Cranky

Gummo

Now that's one intense film.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 03-06-2010, 05:20 AM
Bad Natured

King of New York (1990). Abel Ferarra did a wonderful job with this solid entry into the crime drama genre. Having Christopher Walken as your lead never hurts, though, and Walken does a fabulous job in his portrayal of ice cold evil that is simultaneously consumed with charity for the poor. With lots of great performances from soon to be greats such as Caruso and Snipes and Buscemi, it was Laurence Fishburne that take the cake as Walken's fiery and extirpative sidekick. The story was nothing new, but the way in which it was told came across with aplomb. Plus, there is nothing hotter than smokin' hot gangster chicks sprayin' the competition with machine guns. Fun stuff.

Layer Cake (2004). This turned out to be your fairly typical, in all of the right ways, British crime drama. Daniel Craig plays the lead, a portrayal that was at first almost too perfect, but then the more human side comes to fruition such that he becomes believably flawed like the rest of us. With lots of intrigue and deals gone bad, this is a simple story that is rather convoluted. Lacking dark humor, this one is almost better for it. Most impressive was the stylistic but never overbearing camera-work. Producer turned director Matthew Vaughn does a great job at the wheel of this fun crime drama. Mercie beaucoup.

Fate is my mistress, mother of the cruel abomination that is hope.