Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Foreign Horror Movies

Old 07-30-2016, 07:13 PM
Evil Dead

Do you consider the Korean Hansel and Gretel as a horror?

So a few years ago I watched the Korean film Hansel and Gretel. I thought it was a beautiful movie but I was surprised by the lack of horror and yet it was still considered a horror movie.
I was just wondering if other horror fans consider this movie to be a horror or not?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p194991_p_v8_aa.jpg (17.8 KB, 1 views)
Old 08-24-2016, 06:39 AM
Undead

For me, it was more like dark fantasy, or even dark fairy tale. And thriller. Reminded me Doll master a bit , because of the general style. But Doll master was more like a horror, and Hensel and Gretel for me was like an adult fairy tale, but not horror.
Old 09-22-2016, 03:11 AM
Fear the Goathammer

I will watch it maybe tonight or tomorrow, I hope it's good :)
Old 09-26-2016, 01:50 AM
Fear the Goathammer

So I watched this flic yesterday and it awesome, I really enjoyed it. I wasn't expecting much when I started it to be honest, but as soon as the main character founds the house I thought that this will be something special.
Now to the question if it's a horror film or not....well yes, somehow. It definitely has some horror elements, already the disturbing atmosphere makes the viewer not feel very comfortable throughout the movie. Until the very end I was hoping so much that the guy could leave cause for me the house was a pure nightmare. And added the kind of "Ring" moments of the girl standing in the room with her black hair hiding her face, it added a bit to the horror of the film. Now I agree that it is more of a dark fairytale, but surely with some horror elements.

Under the Sign of Hell
The Cult of Goat was born
The Horns of Darkness Impure
Materialized in form of Coven
Old 09-28-2016, 12:23 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goathead View Post
So I watched this flic yesterday and it awesome, I really enjoyed it. I wasn't expecting much when I started it to be honest, but as soon as the main character founds the house I thought that this will be something special.
Now to the question if it's a horror film or not....well yes, somehow. It definitely has some horror elements, already the disturbing atmosphere makes the viewer not feel very comfortable throughout the movie. Until the very end I was hoping so much that the guy could leave cause for me the house was a pure nightmare. And added the kind of "Ring" moments of the girl standing in the room with her black hair hiding her face, it added a bit to the horror of the film. Now I agree that it is more of a dark fairytale, but surely with some horror elements.
Glad you liked it. It's a very interesting movie and very underrated. I feel like not a lot of people have seen it.
I'm gonna have to re-watch it soon. It is coming up to Halloween!
Ultimately I feel like the film might fall into the same category as Pans Labyrinth. A dark fairy tale with horror elements but focuses more on emotion and characters.